User De Rendering clothing for inappropriate snapshots

Keltin Oconner

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1318 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

It was brought to my attention that a friend's avatar was on someone's flickr page.  When we went to look at it, we noticed that it was a photo taken while my friend was wandering around a store, and that the user who took it derendered her clothing to capture a snapshot of her naked.  We contacted the person to request they take it down, but they refuse to do so, and instead laughed at her for being mad about the issue.  

I already contacted Flickr support, and they basically said there is nothing they will do because the person was responsible for their own uploaded content, so I wonder if there is anything we can do within the SL universe to this person?  It seems to me that it would be a form of abuse/griefing to run around non adult areas derendering clothing just to take naked photos of people without their permission and then posting them online.  

Please give me some thoughts on the subject, and hopefully something may come out from this.  

12 answers to this question

It is indeed creepy.  The people who engage in this form of pixel upskirting are no better than dirty-minded little boys.

However, we have the tools to keep people from showing us entirely nude.

You can wear system layer underwear, on a classic avatar.  If you're using a mesh body, you can wear applier underwear, or system layer underwear via Bakes on Mesh.

As a second line of defense, you can wear alpha masks, or use the alpha cuts on your mesh body's HUD to turn your naughty bits transparent.  This has two additional advantages:  first, you have to use this in many cases anyway, just to keep your body from poking through your clothes.  Second, it makes your unclothed avatar look even more unattractive and titillating than if your body were fully visible, but wearing sexy underwear.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Keltin Oconner said:

It was brought to my attention that a friend's avatar was on someone's flickr page.  When we went to look at it, we noticed that it was a photo taken while my friend was wandering around a store, and that the user who took it derendered her clothing to capture a snapshot of her naked.  We contacted the person to request they take it down, but they refuse to do so, and instead laughed at her for being mad about the issue.  

I already contacted Flickr support, and they basically said there is nothing they will do because the person was responsible for their own uploaded content, so I wonder if there is anything we can do within the SL universe to this person?  It seems to me that it would be a form of abuse/griefing to run around non adult areas derendering clothing just to take naked photos of people without their permission and then posting them online.  

Please give me some thoughts on the subject, and hopefully something may come out from this.  

I don't think that would qualify for an Abuse Report.  Viewers allow users to derender items.  Picture taking does not require permission.  LL has no authority over anything posted to external websites.

If your friend is really bothered by it, tell them to always have Applier / BOM underclothing on, as that cannot be derendered.

• Like 4

Flickr and Second Life are 2 different platforms so not really.

Same way you can post your Second Life conversations on a 3rd party website you can also post mages  of any avatar iwith de-rendered clothes etc.

Second Life TOS covers content only in Second Life and Linden Lab forums.

Sadly, this situation often has overtones of "blame the victim".  Linden Lab really can't control what someone posts on a third party site, and can't use prior restraint to prevent someone from taking inappropriate photos.  The best we can each do is to either be sure that we wear underwear or develop a thick skin about how much of our avatar is visible to the general public.  It's our own "fault" if we don't take precautions to keep from being seen naked.  I don't see much way around it. Personally, I have developed a thick skin over the years, but that's a personal decision.  YMMV

• Like 3

I remember there used to be a web site entirely dedicated to these pictures, which were in that case mostly taken at Tempura. Not sure if that is still around. Seemed like an odd hobby to me.

Edit: I think when you land at Tempura even now, you get a warning about this.

Edited by Fenimore Hapmouche

5 hours ago, Keltin Oconner said:

Yeah LL only has jurisdiction in SL so you can't report them if it happened on flickr. Just like LL has no jurisdiction on any social media platform, so basically you are SOL when it comes to doing anything. I am sorry this happened to your friend, but there are always gonna be creeps like that. Who find ways to get away with stuff, cause they use other platforms to post it.

Keltin, I would have your friend Abuse Report the person. The Abuse Report would also be about the conversation your friend had with the upskirter person. If the conversation from the upskirter was abusive then Linden might be able to give the upskirter a holiday from SL

even if Linden don't do anything in this case then it could be  that a pile of Abuse Reports (to which your friend has added another) ifrom many different people about this happening to them also then Linden could rule it as a pattern of Harassment behaviour and banhammer the upskirter

On 8/14/2020 at 2:55 AM, Mollymews said:

even if Linden don't do anything in this case then it could be  that a pile of Abuse Reports (to which your friend has added another) ifrom many different people about this happening to them

That technique usually works when traffic bots are AR'd by business competitors and no lifers but won't work in this case because it simply isn't a TOS violation.

Edited by Nick0678

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1318 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.