How to get rid of nearby chat on lower tool bar *firestorm

GBL3B

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 548 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I like to use my keyboard to walk instead on the arrows and I need my keyboard to fully use some items in world. Every time I leave conversations window my keyboard automatically defaults to nearby chat window on bottom left.  So anytime I hit the keyboard it has no effect in world, just types in bottom left.  Solutions?

12 answers to this question

This does not really answer the question.... The title of the thread is "How to get rid of nearby chat on lower tool bar *firestorm"

Although the method shown does allow movement, the D**N local chat in the toolbar still grabs the chat instead of letting it go to the "real" chat window. For me this is confusing because since the beginning of time (in SL) the main chat was always on the RIGHT side of the screen, and that is where I move it now since i am used to seeing it there. When my chat text dosent appear in that window while I am typing, I keep thinking the viewer is not picking up on what I am typing...

Again, the question is How to GET RID of "nearby chat' on the lower tool bar in firestorm?

@Jitar Bunin, look in Preferences > Chat tab > Typing sub-tab. Be sure the option "Add a chat bar in the Nearby Chat window" is checked.

This does not "get rid" of the nearby chat box showing up at the bottom of your screen, it can still appear if your main view has the focus and you hit ENTER. If that happens, just hit ENTER again to close it.

4 hours ago, Jitar Bunin said:

the local chat in the toolbar still grabs the chat instead of letting it go to the "real" chat window. For me this is confusing because since the beginning of time (in SL) the main chat was always on the RIGHT side of the screen, and that is where I move it now since i am used to seeing it there. When my chat text dosent appear in that window while I am typing, I keep thinking the viewer is not picking up on what I am typing...

There's no way for you to change the UI so that the chat window's text field gets focus when you press Enter to begin typing. You'd have to click into that field, as you would when typing into group chats or IMs.

The "bottom chat toolbar" you're talking about is exclusively used for local chat.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

I'm not trying to auto-hide it when NOT chatting... when I start chatting I want what I type to go to the chat in the conversations window on the right where I can actually see it. In 2005 when I started SL this was where the chat/conversations were and that is where I look for it. I want the left side lower toolbar chat to NOT grab focus from the keyboard at all when I press enter to start chatting at someone.

I know there is a debug flag/setting to completely turn off the local chat left hand tool bar widget, I had it done before but had a hard drive fail and had to reinstall everything from scratch on a new SSD drive.

chatbad.jpg

36 minutes ago, Jitar Bunin said:

I know there is a debug flag/setting to completely turn off the local chat left hand tool bar widget, I had it done before but had a hard drive fail and had to reinstall everything from scratch on a new SSD drive.

Well, I found something similar in there:

"FSLetterKeysFocusNearbyChatBar: If enabled, the chat bar in the Nearby Chat window will be preferred if it contains a chat bar and LetterKeysAffectsMovementNotFocusChatBar is FALSE."

As the description says, this means you have to disable WASD movement first and then your chat messages will be typed into that window. (And if the debug setting FSNearbyChatbar is TRUE, which it is by default.) I didn't find anything that would make it possible to use the chat bar in the window while also having WASD movement enabled.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

4 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

"FSLetterKeysFocusNearbyChatBar: If enabled, the chat bar in the Nearby Chat window will be preferred if it contains a chat bar and LetterKeysAffectsMovementNotFocusChatBar is FALSE."

Dosen't seem to change anything with either WSAD on or off. It still goes to nearby chat in the lower left toolbar instead of to the conversations window input area... hmmm...

6 hours ago, Jitar Bunin said:

I want the left side lower toolbar chat to NOT grab focus from the keyboard at all when I press enter to start chatting at someone.

Unless it's buried somewhere in the debug settings, I don't think you can do this. Pressing ENTER always opens the lower left chatbar. To chat directly in the Nearby Chat window you have to click your cursor on the text entry bar in that window, giving it the focus.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 548 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.