How do custom wallpapers work?

Syo Emerald

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1347 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've seen so many people use their own wallpapers for Linden Homes, but I'm not sure how to do it myself. Is it a shell? If so, doesn't that end up being kind of prim-heavy? And do I have to be a building expert, since some of the houses have lots of complex edges and countless windows.

Please share your knowledge.

They  add-ons that most folks buy in the Marketplace. You can make your own for a single wall or two easily (no window walls) with prims and then turn them to "convex hull" to half the land impact.  If made in mesh they are usually lower land impact. Since the wallpaper is inside the LODs don't need to be high so typically they aren't a high land impact item.  

• Like 2

This is a great thread. I have done mesh walls for my Continental, following Marianne's thread, but I couldn't make them work properly (it was my first Blender project anyway)

Once they were uploaded inworld, they would just work by applying 'Plannar', so the pattern had to be repeated, all over the walls. If I would choose 'Default' then the texture would be applied to just one piece of the orginal prims, like after creating the dae. file, the prims were still there somehow.

So, if I went for a block color pattern they might work, but not with all of them. 

I am sorry if I am not explaining myself, I am far from a Blender/building expert....

28 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

What keywords would I need to search for? I've never come across them, when looking for add-ons in general.

Well I tried "Linden Home Wall add on" and got some but certainly not all.  Best to ask in the Linden Home forum and state your house type.    

• Thanks 1

Another tactic, if you want a more spot touch effect, for just one wall or for part of a wall - rez a prim and edit it to be extremely close to the wall, put a texture on it. Set this prim to 'convex hull' and you can link several of them together for reduced land impact.

That's how I did the graffiti on the walls of my home. In this example I also set it to partially transparent to get it to blend in.

Sitting On The Bins

And it's also good if you just want an accent wall - in which case you shape your prim to the size of the wall and probably make it opaque.

Set the distance between the prim and wall underneath to as tight as you can get it, then zoom back a little but and see if it flickers (appears and vanishes then reappears over and over again rapidly) - if it does it's too close so move it just a tiny bit away until it stops flickering (by amounts of 0.005 or so).

I've managed to cover 8 or so walls with different pieces of art on less land impact than many shells this way - with more wall-by-wall individualized control.

Shells are of course superior when subdividing rooms (actually sometimes) or more often when covering a wall that has an unusual shape.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Another tactic, if you want a more spot touch effect, for just one wall or for part of a wall - rez a prim and edit it to be extremely close to the wall, put a texture on it. Set this prim to 'convex hull' and you can link several of them together for reduced land impact.

That's how I did the graffiti on the walls of my home. In this example I also set it to partially transparent to get it to blend in.

Sitting On The Bins

And it's also good if you just want an accent wall - in which case you shape your prim to the size of the wall and probably make it opaque.

Set the distance between the prim and wall underneath to as tight as you can get it, then zoom back a little but and see if it flickers (appears and vanishes then reappears over and over again rapidly) - if it does it's too close so move it just a tiny bit away until it stops flickering (by amounts of 0.005 or so).

I've managed to cover 8 or so walls with different pieces of art on less land impact than many shells this way - with more wall-by-wall individualized control.

Shells are of course superior when subdividing rooms (actually sometimes) or more often when covering a wall that has an unusual shape.

I always cover my boats with decals!

(when I have one--not saying I have a fleet of them.... o.O)

Edited by Fay Starlight
  • Like 2

On 8/10/2020 at 10:53 AM, Syo Emerald said:

What keywords would I need to search for? I've never come across them, when looking for add-ons in general.

As mentioned above, Givoria is the store in the MP that sells interior and exterior paint shells for all the trads and at least some of the Vics. And Recovery is the store I recently discovered that sells paint shells for 3 of the 4 log homes. (I have the one for the Overlook, which is a bit trickier to line up than the Givoria shell I use in my Adams.) The shells range from 3-8LI for the entire house.

The thing to keep in mind is that some versions of Givoria's paint shells limit you to a choice of ~25 provided colors (per wall), whereas the ones listed as "Mod" allow you to add your own seamless wallpapers (many to choose from in the MP). The Recovery shell requires you to upload and use your own textures.

Sorry, didn't intend to post the photo when I realized the OP knew what paint shells could do, but now I can't delete it after correcting something in the text. :( 

HILLHOUSE13.JPG

Edited by Frigga Freidman
trying to delete photo and not succeeding!
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1347 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.