Where are my legs?

Vzlenscu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1327 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My legs are gone from the thighs down, and I'm missing my belt area.       Earlier today I put on a tux which was not specifically designed for my Geralt body, but I managed to figure out how to work the alphas and layers.      Also I was in a friend's hot tub, and started to see that my bottom half was gone.

What is worrisome is that my legs are missing across my outfits.   Any outfit I have saved that isn't covered up by pants (naked, swimsuit, gym shorts) has the missing legs.   I have tried logging off and logging back on several times, teleporting, switching from Firestorm to 2nd life viewer and back again, hitting the ctl-alt-R.....nothing works.        All the outfits I have saved use the same Geralt alpha and body -- no copies -- so has something corrupted the underlying body, shape or alpha?

• Haha 1

If you are using bakes on mesh there are two ways to do alphas. An alpha layer that you wear and by using the cuts on the alpha tab on your hud.

Check if you are wearing an alpha layer for the tuxedo, if you are then take it off. If not then it should just be a matter of using the hud in a lag free area with scripts enabled.

If all that fails then maybe you killed the scripts in the body so you may need to get a fresh one from the delivery box or a redelivery from the terminal in the store

All my outfits are saved so I can just "wear" a previously saved outfit.    But any saved outfit that includes my Geralt body has this error.

I will try to reopen my Geralt body and alpha and reapply them.   I'm a little concerned I may have "killed the scripts" in the body -- I would like to be able to avoid doing that again.    But either the hot tub experience or the tuxedo-wearing would have done it.

1 hour ago, Vzlenscu said:

I'm a little concerned I may have "killed the scripts" in the body -- I would like to be able to avoid doing that again.    

You can always get a redelivery of the body and start afresh, making sure to keep a backup copy.  I find it helpful as well to keep a copy purely for testing.

7 hours ago, Vzlenscu said:

What is worrisome is that my legs are missing across my outfits.   Any outfit I have saved that isn't covered up by pants (naked, swimsuit, gym shorts) has the missing legs. 

In addition to the advice about checking for worn alpha layers in case you've set the body up to use Bakes on Mesh (BoM), have a read of the below. It may be overly-basic information to you - and if it is then I apologise - but it's difficult to tell someone's level of familiarity with how mesh bodies and heads work.

In brief: A mesh body will 'remember' its previous state, and that previous state will be remembered across all outfits until the state is changed.

Let us say that you create an outfit where you're wearing a tank top and shorts. It's a beach outfit, so you want to be tanned. You change your skin to a nice tanned one. You set the alpha tab on the body's HUD so that it hides the parts of your body that are covered by the shorts and the tank top. You save this outfit and call it 'beach'.

Let's say that you then put on a tuxedo. This time you don't want to be tanned, so you change your skin to be pale. For that you need many more parts of your body alpha'd out, so you set those alphas and save the outfit, calling it 'formal'.

You then change back into the 'beach' outfit, but you notice that your body is still alpha'd out the same way it was when you wore the formal tuxedo and your skin is pale and not tanned like it was when you saved the beach outfit.

The reason for this is that when you save an outfit each item in that outfit is a link to the original item. You're not saving a copy of the body; you're saving a link to the original body. So it stands that whatever state that original body is currently in will carry across to all outfits that the body is saved in until you change the state of the body. That is why your legs are missing across all of your outfits: your body is in the state of "leg sections alpha'd out" and until you change that state all of your outfits will have those leg pieces missing.

In addition to this, Signature is one of the body brands that has 'auto-alpha' capability. Sometimes you will add an item of clothing and it will automatically alpha out the correct sections of your body so you don't have to do it manually. The trouble with this is that very occasionally when you take that item of clothing off not all of the alpha sections will be restored to visibility. It doesn't happen very often, but sometimes it will.

The good news is that - assuming you don't have more than 13 outfits that you want to save - you can use the 'alpha save slots' on the Signature HUD to save specific combinations of alpha settings. These settings are numbered 1 to 13 on the HUD, as below:

2fa81b646792d0c51bf413c12c22bb5e.png

As you can see there, four of my save slot icons are green, which means that I have four alpha settings saved at the moment on that HUD.

What you can do is ensure that you're wearing the Signature HUD before you save the outfit. With all of your alpha cuts set up correctly, click the first white save slot icon on the HUD, then click the word 'SAVE' beneath it. Confirm the dialogue and you'll see that save slot icon turn green, as in the image above.

Then, go ahead and save your outfit. At some point in the outfit name (either at the start or in brackets at the end) include the number of that save slot. Two examples:

• 01. Formal Suit
  • Formal Suit (01)

Make sure that you're wearing the Signature HUD when you save the outfit, so that it will be added when you next change into that outfit.

Save all of your alphas like this, each one using the next number along on the HUD, and each one containing the number of that save slot in the outfit name.

Let's say you've been to a formal dance, so you were wearing your 'Formal Suit (01)' outfit. But now you want to change to your 'Beach (06)' outfit. Change into the outfit as you normally would do (I usually right-click on the outfit folder name in inventory and select 'Replace Current Outfit').

Your beach outfit will be worn, but your body will still be alpha'd out for the formal suit. However, since you know that you saved the alpha settings for your beach outfit in save slot 06 (because that's in the name of the outfit) just click the '06' save slot icon, then click 'APPLY'. Confirm the dialogue and your alpha cuts will be set correctly to the ones for the beach outfit.

Unfortunately, Signature does not (yet) have the ability that the likes of Maitreya have, where you can also save skins etc alongside alpha cuts, so you will still need to change your skin manually to that tanned one (assuming that you're someone who will change their skin like that).

For any further questions about your Geralt Body, I recommend joining the inworld support group - Signature Body - and asking in there.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vzlenscu said:

All my outfits are saved so I can just "wear" a previously saved outfit.    But any saved outfit that includes my Geralt body has this error.

I will try to reopen my Geralt body and alpha and reapply them.   I'm a little concerned I may have "killed the scripts" in the body -- I would like to be able to avoid doing that again.    But either the hot tub experience or the tuxedo-wearing would have done it.

It is VERY unlikely getting in a tub, which is just a SIT, or wearing something is going to break another attachment, your body. Things do break but the cause of broken attachments are usually system related, i.e., region or SL backend problem. 

Once we are experienced we keep backups of stuff. I get an outfit or body or whatever and wear only copies of the original. 

Skell gave an excellent answer and I suspect the correct one.

I am reading Skel's response carefully and I am going to spend some time with the Signature manual.    I've already re-unpacked the box and will need to start from scratch.

The concept of saving alphas is interesting, and new to me (I may be learning quickly as a newbie but there is a LOT of information).     At the moment, the one alpha look will do me, but I will be careful to save that one in a slot so I can retrieve it in case of trouble.

I am slowly getting my head around working with copies of things -- what to make a copy of, when to make a copy and how to keep track of copies.     I would think first about copying the alpha before building on it -- but I'm reading above that the alpha will persist across outfits anyway.

As for what happened, it is probably connected to my efforts to take the tux on and off.    It is the first clothing I've bought that was *NOT* specifically calibrated for Geralt and it took a lot of trial and error, playing with the different outfits (and learning that you can Wear one alpha and Add another) to get it right.   But somewhere in all that shifting around, and taking the tux on and off, I must have made my mistake.   I was getting used to switching outfits quickly and easily but all my other outfits were based on the same alpha base, the tux outfit was configured differently.

Edited by Vzlenscu
Added a *NOT* where there should have been one

Take your time. It's a lot of new information to take in for someone who is new to mesh bodies and heads :)

One thing I will advise against, though:

12 minutes ago, Vzlenscu said:

what to make a copy of, when to make a copy and how to keep track of copies

I strongly suggest not doing what some people do, which is to make multiple copies of your body, each one set up with a different skin or alpha cut combination. Doing that is all well and good, but when there is an update to your mesh body you will need to manually re-do every one of those saved copies, rather than just replacing the original body that you use to save outfits as described in my earlier post. I have seen people near to tears when they have 300+ outfits saved like that, each one with a different copy of their head and body, and they need to update each one manually. What those people then do is not bother to update, so they're walking around with old, outdated versions of their heads and bodies, often missing out on great new features and important bugfixes.

Edited by Skell Dagger

And the answer is, that when I went into the HUD it was clear that some body sections had been hidden, and I could easily unhide them.   I saved the full alpha in slot 1, and the immediate problem is resolved.

But the additional documentation and information will come in handy!   Thank you to all

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1327 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.