Jump to content

can only attach 34 object vs 38 help


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 78 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

OK. I SOOOOOOOO want an "eye roll" emoji!!!!

 

Give me an EYE ROLL EMOJI!!!!!

 

LOL.  

Could you please explain why that's not a fair question?

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, MariaCieloMonroe said:

i have space for 4 more object but it won't let me attach them i'm not sure what going on helpppp

i can attach 38 items. A couple of things that can give us a wonky reading

sometimes when we log in with heaps of attachments on then the Outfits \ Wearing gives a list which can include fake duplicate items which we aren't actually wearing but the attachment list says we are. So the Add button is greyed out. The fix for this is to remove a duplicate listed item and the Wearing list tidies itself up and Add is then enabled

another thing is (which probably isn't the case), HUDs are included in the attachment count. So if we are wearing 4 HUDs then we can only attach 34 items to our inworld avatar

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mollymews said:

i can attach 38 items. A couple of things that can give us a wonky reading

sometimes when we log in with heaps of attachments on then the Outfits \ Wearing gives a list which can include fake duplicate items which we aren't actually wearing but the attachment list says we are. So the Add button is greyed out. The fix for this is to remove a duplicate listed item and the Wearing list tidies itself up and Add is then enabled

another thing is (which probably isn't the case), HUDs are included in the attachment count. So if we are wearing 4 HUDs then we can only attach 34 items to our inworld avatar

I run into similar issues. I wish we could have more than 38.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

Could you please explain why that's not a fair question?

It is a fair question. It is just that people who actually wear all those attachments are what makes SL so laggy.   And often (not necessarily you at all) they are the same people that are complaining about lag.

This isn't the first time that I wanted an "eyes roll" emoji :D.  I hope you find your answer.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

It is a fair question. It is just that people who actually wear all those attachments are what makes SL so laggy.   And often (not necessarily you at all) they are the same people that are complaining about lag.

This isn't the first time that I wanted an "eyes roll" emoji :D.  I hope you find your answer.

 

I'm on a gaming laptop so I don't complain of lag it very rare I lag also I am at my Master sim which doesn't affect no one but our household cause we aint in public

Edited by MariaCieloMonroe
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mollymews said:

i can attach 38 items. A couple of things that can give us a wonky reading

sometimes when we log in with heaps of attachments on then the Outfits \ Wearing gives a list which can include fake duplicate items which we aren't actually wearing but the attachment list says we are. So the Add button is greyed out. The fix for this is to remove a duplicate listed item and the Wearing list tidies itself up and Add is then enabled

another thing is (which probably isn't the case), HUDs are included in the attachment count. So if we are wearing 4 HUDs then we can only attach 34 items to our inworld avatar

Thank you for this okay I had normally have my ao 3 OTHERS was trying to attach some sex items while playing with my Master had to detach some things which weird cause normally i normally i can attach more than just 4 huds so it much been this duplicate thing cause now i relogged and stuff i can get more items to attach

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bagnu said:

I run into similar issues. I wish we could have more than 38.

   Yeah, no, pass.

   People are already running around with their genitalia 'hidden' whilst wearing clothes which causes all sorts of lag. Don't need to give the lag hogs larger pastures.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Orwar said:

   Don't need to give the lag hogs larger pastures.

there is never a large enough pasture for my hog. If it could, my hog of a avatar would be happy to eat all the resources in at least 9 pastures in one go, and still want to eat the next 9 pastures over as well

if you are fortunate enough to see my hog anywhere in SL then best to run away quickly ok. If you can that is before you get gobbled up yourself ok 😸

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Orwar said:

   Yeah, no, pass.

   People are already running around with their genitalia 'hidden' whilst wearing clothes which causes all sorts of lag. Don't need to give the lag hogs larger pastures.

This is why I love the favorite wearable.  Anything I might want quicker access to is in there.  Body and head huds especially since who need a to run around with those attached 24/7.  Genitalia and their huds, lighting hud for pics and basically anything I need close at hand goes in there.  I rarely need to reduce script count at events anymore.  Best new feature in years IMO.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

@MariaCieloMonroe  you asked a fair question. It is also annoying because you don't provide enough information for us to answer with any certainty. Such questions need to include which viewer and operating system you are using, at the least. Using the viewer's HELP->About... and pasting the info with your question is best. Often the answer is in that info.

Also, this type of tech question is best asked in the Answers section of the forum. You can search that section to see if someone has asked your question before and if there is an answer. Often saves you waiting for an answer.

Obviously something is wrong. But, the viewer and SL system is capable of allowing 38 attachments. People do make that many attachments successfully. So, we are trying to figure out where the problem is. There is no standard 'Oh this is what THAT is' answer.

How you are deciding there are four slots remaining would help too.

Have you moved to a different region and tried?

Have you relogged and tried?

Have you looked at Grid Status to see if something is/was going on with SL?

Are you seeing connection, viewer, or SL System lag? (Which is what I would suspect as I have never seen the system create double entries for anything I am wearing.)

Give us a screen capture of the Appearance Editor showing the Wearing tab. 

Tell us what you are trying to attach and how. Are you using Add to Appearance and selecting a folder, outfit, or single item? Or dragging and dropping on your avatar?

Without more information all we can do is give you the basic 'fit it' steps to try.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
added to
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

It is a fair question. It is just that people who actually wear all those attachments are what makes SL so laggy.   And often (not necessarily you at all) they are the same people that are complaining about lag.

This isn't the first time that I wanted an "eyes roll" emoji :D.  I hope you find your answer.

 

I seem to find myself stuck with a lot, even if I'm just wearing a basic outfit. Lol, I don't complain a bout lag...I just accept it as part of SL life. Thank you though. I didn't know it affects lag for everyone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

I seem to find myself stuck with a lot, even if I'm just wearing a basic outfit. Lol, I don't complain a bout lag...I just accept it as part of SL life. Thank you though. I didn't know it affects lag for everyone.

There is a lot of debate about what causes lag and what causes the most and least lag. 

Attachments are things that get downloaded to all our computers. So, they have an affect on the time needed to render a scene or avatar. The network load is becoming trivial as network speeds increase. Once downloaded the load from that task goes away. The cache is something the Lindens are working one, abet somewhat delayed because of uplift, that will make this download task even less of an issue and load.

Once you have the attachment downloaded your and everyone's viewer has to render it. Attachments do add to client side lag. But, how much depends on the users' computer and the attachment. Graphics cards used to advertise speed in polygons rendered per second. As they improved those numbers became ridiculously large. Now that metric is no longer used. So, it isn't attachment count that we focus on.

Things have changed enough in the life of SL that a few different measures like Avatar Complexity Index (ACI) and Avatar Render Cost (ARC) were used and then revised because of those changes. And now Vir Linden and likely others are working on another revised system that better reflects the render cost of things in the current system. The idea is to take many things into consideration and look at the overall cost.

All of this means pay attention to your script weight and ACI numbers. Because you can wear one colossally hard to render attachment or 38 trivial to render attachments that are a fraction of the difficult one. So, counting attachments is a way too simplified a metric that tells us little.

The new BOM bodies greatly reduce the render load on the system and client. My Slink Redux body reduced the script weight, ACI, attachment points used, and polygon count by large numbers. But, one of the primary purposes was to reduce texture load by the use of its namesake Bakes On Mesh, compositing the many textures worn into way fewer. There are ways to reduce ACI and script weight and those are the best ways to reduce lag.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

There is a lot of debate about what causes lag and what causes the most and least lag. 

Attachments are things that get downloaded to all our computers. So, they have an affect on the time needed to render a scene or avatar. The network load is becoming trivial as network speeds increase. Once downloaded the load from that task goes away. The cache is something the Lindens are working one, abet somewhat delayed because of uplift, that will make this download task even less of an issue and load.

Once you have the attachment downloaded your and everyone's viewer has to render it. Attachments do add to client side lag. But, how much depends on the users' computer and the attachment. Graphics cards used to advertise speed in polygons rendered per second. As they improved those numbers became ridiculously large. Now that metric is no longer used. So, it isn't attachment count that we focus on.

Things have changed enough in the life of SL that a few different measures like Avatar Complexity Index (ACI) and Avatar Render Cost (ARC) were used and then revised because of those changes. And now Vir Linden and likely others are working on another revised system that better reflects the render cost of things in the current system. The idea is to take many things into consideration and look at the overall cost.

All of this means pay attention to your script weight and ACI numbers. Because you can wear one colossally hard to render attachment or 38 trivial to render attachments that are a fraction of the difficult one. So, counting attachments is a way too simplified a metric that tells us little.

The new BOM bodies greatly reduce the render load on the system and client. My Slink Redux body reduced the script weight, ACI, attachment points used, and polygon count by large numbers. But, one of the primary purposes was to reduce texture load by the use of its namesake Bakes On Mesh, compositing the many textures worn into way fewer. There are ways to reduce ACI and script weight and those are the best ways to reduce lag.

 

Wow!!! You really know your stuff!!! I understand some of what you are saying, but I'm too new to understand everything. I have to start implementing things you've written.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, there were good informative answers in here, very nice; aside from the cringe-able derail into an off-topic lag bash, and with disrespect thrown upon a poster who was honestly seeking a specific insight, not finger-shaking in her face on a broad view, which she did not deserve.

One must wonder:  How many others decide never to enter these Forums where only to get snapped at, and then listen to the growls and snips among the pack in the darkness?  Or, they enter once, endure it, and never return? 

I wish there was a DISLIKE button, I want to start pressing that thing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I guess that is why when you initially load into area that you might experience a spike of lag  while your computer/network is having to  download all that information. I am very lucky that I have wired connection which has made a big difference for me in SL. I checked my attachment useage and right now even with few huds on that I will normally take off when I go to public areas, I only use about 18 attachments.  I am sure at times I wear a lot more and other times much less, but have never ran out of attachment points ...yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Lancewae Barrowstone said:

Wow, there were good informative answers in here, very nice; aside from the cringe-able derail into an off-topic lag bash, and with disrespect thrown upon a poster who was honestly seeking a specific insight, not finger-shaking in her face on a broad view, which she did not deserve.

One must wonder:  How many others decide never to enter these Forums where only to get snapped at, and then listen to the growls and snips among the pack in the darkness?  Or, they enter once, endure it, and never return? 

I wish there was a DISLIKE button, I want to start pressing that thing. 

i brought a couple of my friends here and they never returned. One of them is my close friend and roommate inworld.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people are thin skinned. In a world with racism, cancel culture, anarchist, violent protesters, a corporate media that disses anything counter to The Agenda...and they think think this forum is too much to handle... 🙄 they probably should stay away. 

A Dislike Button would get too much use. SL has lots of jerks, plenty of the insensitive, loads of ignorant, many that are dreaming they are the woke, the intolerant, anti-diverse, and just plain haters who would be all over such a button.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2020 at 12:02 PM, Chic Aeon said:

It is a fair question. It is just that people who actually wear all those attachments are what makes SL so laggy.   And often (not necessarily you at all) they are the same people that are complaining about lag.

This isn't the first time that I wanted an "eyes roll" emoji :D.  I hope you find your answer.

 

I would never run around wearing that many attachments, but I have certainly made a few outfits for photos and hit the attachment limit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

And I have on ten (didn't change - see this morning's blog post :D).  Yesterday my outfit consisted of eleven and included my parrot.   And yes, I just noticed I left my hud on. Typically it is gone which gives me a nicer view. I have it in "wearable favorites" so easy enough to get too when needed.  

 

:SwingingFriends:

 

image.thumb.png.387f62b261ec56e7b7d7b1e3c1f30a93.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 78 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...