Jump to content

Arguing and Fighting are Very Different


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I disagree with your opinion and say something, am I arguing, fighting, or just hungry?  🤔   You’re just not yourself when you’re hungry. 

Personally i consider online disagreements either as arguing due to whatever reason rage, boredom, lack of sex, etc or simply debating based on facts or even feelings. In order to consider it fig

FIFY

Posted Images

 

9 hours ago, shiviex said:

I agree with you. This gives the responders more reasons to create drama..

actually they already probably had reasons, and was just looking for a place to put them. some people enjoy creating drama for any reason, anywhere, at anytime.

just like collar creators that have the whambulance script where it calls out to your owner or trusted and creates drama if you log in with rlv off.. because ya know.. that is 'cheating'...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wherever you're trying to find the truth or are saying things you don't mean...

Keep. Talking. And keep listening. Whatever happens.

Even a fight can turn into a debate if you give it enough direction. It is the lack of direction that causes fights to happen. The loss of control as people make excuses and lose themselves to emotions alone. The "current" situation happens for a reason. Analyse the situation. Find the excuses, find the denial. Challenge it. Even the worst of arguments can be turned around if you ask why enough times. If you're observant enough.

Thing is people can hate being questioned and called out. But truth is truth and honesty is honesty. That's what will save you in the end.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2020 at 3:00 PM, Bagnu said:

I feel arguing is debating, and is a search for the truth. Fighting is simply destructive. What does everyone else think???

Arguing and debating usually has opponents involved looking for some sort of win.

Where searching for the truth is a goal to become educated or more educated on a subject.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Arguing and debating usually has opponents involved looking for some sort of win.

Where searching for the truth is a goal to become educated or more educated on a subject.

We can't search for the truth without a debate when two people have differing thoughts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

We can't search for the truth without a debate when two people have differing thoughts. 

Actually, we search for truth in both arguing and debating. Arguing is just more offensive. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

We can't search for the truth without a debate when two people have differing thoughts. 


It depends.. Are you searching for it in the real world or the forums.. I was going by General forums...xD

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

An argument is a part of a debate, which is the whole. A debate is made up of a bunch of arguments and counter arguments. Arguments are the proof needed to have the debate, or to discuss the opposing points of view. But this depends whether you are having a debate or no.

A debate is considered more formal than an argument. But a debate CAN be informal and an argument can be formal.

Edited by shiviex
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2020 at 11:22 PM, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

 

actually they already probably had reasons, and was just looking for a place to put them. some people enjoy creating drama for any reason, anywhere, at anytime.

just like collar creators that have the whambulance script where it calls out to your owner or trusted and creates drama if you log in with rlv off.. because ya know.. that is 'cheating'...

Oh I know all about RLV off lol!!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Taramafor said:

Even a fight can turn into a debate if you give it enough direction. It is the lack of direction that causes fights to happen

Usually  a fight leads to having a few broken teeth so it's best to be avoided. Debating is a fine way to solve whatever problems/worries people have..

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nick0678 said:

Usually  a fight leads to having a few broken teeth so it's best to be avoided. Debating is a fine way to solve whatever problems/worries people have..

 

even with direction a debate may turn into a fight. some people just like to fight or argue no matter what. and cant be directed or controlled by others.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a lot of this comes down to how you use English language.  There is probably colloquial and contextual elements to this.  In my family what we called "fighting" usually meant verbal disagreements and never came to any physical altercation.  "Discussions" were what we had when there was a family problem of some kind.  We talk for hours and give our opinions on lots of topics but we never call this "debating".  Probably because calling it a debate would seem too formal a word to use in that context.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I think a lot of this comes down to how you use English language.  There is probably colloquial and contextual elements to this.  In my family what we called "fighting" usually meant verbal disagreements and never came to any physical altercation.  "Discussions" were what we had when there was a family problem of some kind.  We talk for hours and give our opinions on lots of topics but we never call this "debating".  Probably because calling it a debate would seem too formal a word to use in that context.

Which brings up the issue that no two people are alike or will think or act or respond the same way. and given different cultural or social upbringing that can make for a very varied outcome in forums. something some people are not able to accept or deal with. they want it to be how they are used to and it just doesn't work that way online and cannot or will not no matter what rules or guidelines or regulations are set forth by anyone. that is the nature of being human. being online in a forums doesn't change that and never can or will.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Yes, this is the problem with words.  We like to think of them as precisely meaningful but unfortunately the devil is in the interpretation.

 

Well if i start tweeting Mike Tyson and write bullsh*t to him that's not actually "fighting" with Mike Tyson, he would beat the sh*t out of me if that was the case.

We are arguing or whatever something that usually happens online and most of the time in most cases it is single sided because the other person simply has better things to do then pay attention to nonsense.

Edited by Nick0678
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I suppose that is my point.  Words can be very malleble.  Fighting and arguing can be the same thing or very different.  It depends on your perspective, context and how you express yourself.

Yes words can be interpreted in many ways. For instance someone might say they just had virtual/phone/camera sex (that's how they like to call it)  but when it comes to the action it self  that is simply called masturbation.  It really depends on the person.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That is why we have dictionaries, to provide a common understanding of the words.

Masturbation is normally considered a type of sex act. Saying it isn't, expresses an unusual opinion that then begs the question why the person is trying to make a distinction.

Words can be used in odd ways to convey meaning, like with metaphors or poetic language.  Or playing with the words often multiple meanings to express something. sometimes creating juxtapositions for effect or for humour.

An argument between two people a debate, more people it becomes a mass debate.

Fights occur when reason has failed, often reason fails because we fail to spot the fallacies. It can be useful to look at a list of fallacies to get a better idea of what a sound argument looks like.

Edited by Aethelwine
Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...