Arguing and Fighting are Very Different

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I disagree with your opinion and say something, am I arguing, fighting, or just hungry?  🤔   You’re just not yourself when you’re hungry. 

Personally i consider online disagreements either as arguing due to whatever reason rage, boredom, lack of sex, etc or simply debating based on facts or even feelings. In order to consider it fig

FIFY

Posted Images

Personally i consider online disagreements either as arguing due to whatever reason rage, boredom, lack of sex, etc or simply debating based on facts or even feelings.

In order to consider it fighting the person actually needs to be in front of me so i can slap some sense to them (or maybe they to me, who knows). I am a practical person.

Edited by Nick0678
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
9 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

OMG this is becoming a comedy when I really did ask a serious question lol!!!

Oh sorry.  I tend to revert to the funny when things get serious.

Serious answer - I enjoy a good debate.  I think it's healthy and can be enlightening.  I agree that arguments can tend to be more aggressive and can devolve into personal insults and name calling, whereas debates are more "arguing" over the facts and examples etc.  I have always thought of fights as being more physical.

Edited by Jordan Whitt
  • Like 5
21 hours ago, Bagnu said:

What does everyone else think???

When someone values making another wrong or themselves right over seeking truth then it has moved from debating into fighting. It's not always easy to see when this has happened, for self and others, and sometime both dynamics are going on at the same time..

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

When someone values making another wrong or themselves right over seeking truth then it has moved from debating into fighting. It's not always easy to see when this has happened, for self and others, and sometime both dynamics are going on at the same time..

That is so totally correct.

Yeah, 

3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

When someone values making another wrong or themselves right over seeking truth then...

Nice observation, and that's the issue, since people have beliefs, which are the key components inside discussion, debates, arguments and fights. 

Beliefs are founded in truths, BUT Truth is not a one-sided thing, it is multi-faceted like a diamond.  That's why we are forever searching, and finding new facets.  That's called science which feeds philosophy which trickles down into social phenomena.  It's also called insight, based on honest introspection and willingness to be wrong.  So, in human experience you get people very often talking together about different facets of the same Truth, and then sometimes seeing only one facet but not the other, and so you get arguments, and maybe forcefully so, over the differences in these individual bits of a larger reality. 

This is what politics does purposely, when whole truths, the totality of facets that are known, are ignored in favor of using only select truths, fashioned into artful lies in order to pummel others with arguments.  This is tragic in the human experience. Tragic because it turns conversations and discussions, fuzzy, befuddling, and angering, as a goal, not uplifting and informative, but lowering toward chaos. 

Outside of politics, if there were "Good" and "Evil" in the world, then the "Good" go about offering the goodness of their Truths freely to others in hope and charity, or even in despair and frustration and earnest desire to KNOW for themselves, but are only then made vulnerable to be fed on some few scrapes of wane commonalities and half-truths.    

And if, there is also "Evil" in the world, then it might freely take delight in wielding it's selective bits of Truth (knowing there are other equal or even better facets), and use them to frustrate, anger and manipulate, even misguide others in order to lead them, maybe even to hypnotize them, enslave them to an ideology and keep them there.  Such is the vulnerability of the human brain. 

Pity poor homo sapiens for their utterly unusual and out of place cerebral cortex, appropriated by the course of Natural Selection from a far distant world in time, than this one.  What a flaw for a mammal that evolved to be a scavenger and predator. Now, we're too smart for our own good, and making us authors of our own doom. 

-SO, Cheers & commiserations!

Edited by Lancewae Barrowstone
syntax
  • Like 3
33 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

unfortunately some people take my efforts at humor as an act of war.

Don't worry even in real war there are moments of humor, it's part of life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 8/9/2020 at 4:18 PM, Lancewae Barrowstone said:

Yeah, 

On 8/9/2020 at 12:40 PM, Luna Bliss said:

When someone values making another wrong or themselves right over seeking truth then...

Nice observation, and that's the issue, since people have beliefs, which are the key components inside discussion, debates, arguments and fights. 

Beliefs are founded in truths, BUT Truth is not a one-sided thing, it is multi-faceted like a diamond.  That's why we are forever searching, and finding new facets.  That's called science which feeds philosophy which trickles down into social phenomena.  It's also called insight, based on honest introspection and willingness to be wrong.  So, in human experience you get people very often talking together about different facets of the same Truth, and then sometimes seeing only one facet but not the other, and so you get arguments, and maybe forcefully so, over the differences in these individual bits of a larger reality. 

This is what politics does purposely, when whole truths, the totality of facets that are known, are ignored in favor of using only select truths, fashioned into artful lies in order to pummel others with arguments.  This is tragic in the human experience. Tragic because it turns conversations and discussions, fuzzy, befuddling, and angering, as a goal, not uplifting and informative, but lowering toward chaos. 

Outside of politics, if there were "Good" and "Evil" in the world, then the "Good" go about offering the goodness of their Truths freely to others in hope and charity, or even in despair and frustration and earnest desire to KNOW for themselves, but are only then made vulnerable to be fed on some few scrapes of wane commonalities and half-truths.    

And if, there is also "Evil" in the world, then it might freely take delight in wielding it's selective bits of Truth (knowing there are other equal or even better facets), and use them to frustrate, anger and manipulate, even misguide others in order to lead them, maybe even to hypnotize them, enslave them to an ideology and keep them there.  Such is the vulnerability of the human brain. 

Pity poor homo sapiens for their utterly unusual and out of place cerebral cortex, appropriated by the course of Natural Selection from a far distant world in time, than this one.  What a flaw for a mammal that evolved to be a scavenger and predator. Now, we're too smart for our own good, and making us authors of our own doom. 

-SO, Cheers & commiserations!

I would argue that you argued your points well    :)

Disagreement.. arguing over who is right.  Regardless of who is right. 

Name calling.. fighting over stupid things and acting like children. 

Debate.. arguing with lots of facts and opinions and personal beliefs and views.. which  neither side really ever wins.

Discussion.. a complex situation where disagreements and debating and naming  calling will often be involved. Aka.. the normal way of things on the internet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.