Recommend decent nvidia laptop?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4505 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Am helping a friend upgrade from a very sluggish ATI based laptop (Packard Bell TJ 75).  We are researching decent NVidia-based laptops - middle price range.   What would you recommend for SL?  Should be able to easily do shadows and most photo effects...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I wonder about that. I'm currently running on a three-year-old Core2Duo 2x2GHz notebook with an ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4570 (512 MB). With everything set to low and 5 people around I still cannot guarantee as much as 10 fps (average around 7-10 fps), with some options not-as-low (e.g. shiny/bumpmap and basic shaders enabled) its another 1 to 2 fps lower. Other games... In order to avoid an abundance of lag, I run Fallout New Vegas (2008 or 2007) at lowest settings (1280x800). Oh yes, I'm still using Phoenix Viewer, because switching to Viewer3 or derivatives reduces frame rates even more by inserting video freezes every now and then.

Is The GT520M really sufficient? Based on the benchmarks (3DMark2006 etc.) it doesn't look THAT much better, to expect it working fine at ultra settings with Viewer 3. 

The other thing is though, that I'm logging into second life over a officially 16 MBit ("up to 16 Mbit" sadly, meaning, that it gets highly unreliable when set higher than 6Mbit, allowing effectively at most 700kbyte/s download rate) over n-WLAN. (While being a bottleneck I don't see how this would impede fps after staying at the same place for an hour thugh). 

Side question: Does Quadcore make sense for SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4505 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.