Skin Questions

Bagnu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1353 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

Your right. I should try and use outfits that fit perfectly. I just love some of the ones that don't though.

You could switch your body to use BOM and then use alpha layers instead of alpha cuts.  The alpha layers will be removed when the outfit they are saved with is removed. 

2 hours ago, Moira Timmerman said:

You could switch your body to use BOM and then use alpha layers instead of alpha cuts.  The alpha layers will be removed when the outfit they are saved with is removed. 

Now only if knew how to do that!!!

3 hours ago, Bagnu said:

Now only if knew how to do that!!!

I tried to look to see if there were any threads that might easily explain it, but I'm not sure how successful they were at doing that. 

Basically, the concept itself is simple - depending on your mesh body and how the creator chose to handle it, you either wear a BOM version of your body or,  more commonly, you turn on BOM for you body via a button on it's HUD.  That allows you to take of the body alpha which normally hides the system body and wear, on your mesh body:  system skin, tattoo layers, system layer clothing, alpha layers, as well as the regular mesh clothing made for your body.  Some bodies let you choose between using alpha layers and/or using alpha cuts.  

However, there can be some complications or drawbacks depending on which mesh body you use, which mesh head you use, how much of your existing clothing are appliers,  how much you rely on wearing things that have materials enabled, how easily you can find alphas for items that you used to use appliers for, etc.   I think it's still worth looking into and finding out more about it and perhaps having it as a goal to move towards.  

I joined SL just prior to all the mesh bodies coming out, so for me going to BOM made things seem easier for me, because it was more like I was used to from when I started.  I find it easier to use system layers for layering rather than appliers, and find it much easier to change between saved outfits without having to worry about the alpha cuts. 

Here are links to 2 of the threads I found.  If nothing else, they might give you a bit more information and pros/cons about BOM:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1353 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.