New to Second life

LeandraStarchaser

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all! My name is Leandra.

I am super new to second life. I heard from some people that where trying to help me out. There was a place for newcomers where they could get freebies. This place had a pirate ship with all kinds of outfits free, but wen I asked what the name was, no one could remember. So they said I could try to ask in forms. Someone here might know. I would really appreciate it if someone knew and could tell me. Thank you for reading my text.

Edited by LeandraStarchaser

i'd advice to stay away from those freebiehells nearly all have stuff that was old already 14 years ago, and start collecting quality clothes and stuff from start. Those are also available for free, just costs some time. I'm pretty sure some girls will jump in to guide you to places.

• Like 2

I am sure several people will respond. Free Dove is one of the oldest shops catering to new people. Check it out. But, no pirate ship...

Alwin is somewhat right. Some of the big freebie barns with thousands of free items do have really old stuff. After a time you'll get an eye for what is OLD. But, there are others that have reasonable new stuff.

Many shops have free monthly items. You generally are required to join their group to get it. But, this is usually good stuff.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
added to
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, LeandraStarchaser said:

I am super new to second life. I heard from some people that where trying to help me out. There was a place for newcomers where they could get freebies. This place had a pirate ship with all kinds of outfits free, but wen I asked what the name was, no one could remember. So they said I could try to ask in forms. Someone here might know. I would really appreciate it if someone knew and could tell me. Thank you for reading my text.

In addition to the Free Dove that Nalates mentioned, check out this website - especially the Free Gifts section:  https://fabfree.wordpress.com/

• Like 2

Don't forget Marketplace can be a good place to find freebies too...if you have the patience to battle your way through.  Just be sure to hit the 0-10L tab and filter to show newest first.  There is the option to filter out demo items, but I have never had that option work for me.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LeandraStarchaser said:

The place with the pirate ship is actually a good one, it's New Resident Island at Lawst Paradise. The newer and better outfits are in the shops though, the ship has all the old stuff.

https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Lawst Paradise/57/17/22

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stick to reputable 'free shop' outlets, or get 'free gifts' from actual merchants - so you can be more certain the items are legitimate.

The locations mentioned above my post all look like reputable names from what I recall.

Be cautious of less well known freebie malls or of people handing you piles of freebies - this stuff has decent odds of being stolen goods.

I also highly recommend going to 'new citizens inc' where they have info on getting free things, learning SL tricks, and communities to help you jump start meeting people.

• Like 2

When I was new, I indiscriminately collected all of the free stuff I could find, resulting in my having a large, unorganized collection of mostly junk that kept growing because I was afraid to delete anything.

I strongly advise against doing what I did. The free promotional items from nice shops are generally of good quality. Seek those out inworld and on marketplace. Right now, as has already been mentioned, the Stay at Home group is providing some good opportunities to get some good stuff free.

SL is not necessarily expensive as hobbies go. If you don't own or rent land, ongoing expenses once you have what you need are limited to costs associated with upgrading your avatar and wardrobe to keep up with technical improvements and whatever you choose to spend on additional clothing and avatar components and accessories. It is a lot easier to make a nice avatar and wardrobe with just a little money than no money because a lot of nice promotional merchandise is offered at low prices, and because some groups that offer nice group gifts have nominal joining fees. (Some have substantial joining fees; I avoid those. ) If you got nothing free, but did pay attention to avoiding overpriced stuff and getting good value for your money, you could have an very nice up-to-date avatar and a more-than-adequate wardrobe for 50-60 USD.

Unless you do stick to freebies, don't rush too much, unless you don't mind replacing things that you got before you understood what you needed with better things later. It takes some time to learn what goes into a good avatar.

I hope you enjoy SL as much as I do.

Look me up inworld, if you wish, and I'll help you, if I can. I can show you a few stores with good group gifts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

When I was new, I indiscriminately collected all of the free stuff I could find, resulting in my having a large, unorganized collection of mostly junk that kept growing because I was afraid to delete anything.

I strongly advise against doing what I did. The free promotional items from nice shops are generally of good quality. Seek those out inworld and on marketplace. Right now, as has already been mentioned, the Stay at Home group is providing some good opportunities to get some good stuff free.

SL is not necessarily expensive as hobbies go. If you don't own or rent land, ongoing expenses once you have what you need are limited to costs associated with upgrading your avatar and wardrobe to keep up with technical improvements and whatever you choose to spend on additional clothing and avatar components and accessories. It is a lot easier to make a nice avatar and wardrobe with just a little money than no money because a lot of nice promotional merchandise is offered at low prices, and because some groups that offer nice group gifts have nominal joining fees. (Some have substantial joining fees; I avoid those. ) If you got nothing free, but did pay attention to avoiding overpriced stuff and getting good value for your money, you could have an very nice up-to-date avatar and a more-than-adequate wardrobe for 50-60 USD.

Unless you do stick to freebies, don't rush too much, unless you don't mind replacing things that you got before you understood what you needed with better things later. It takes some time to learn what goes into a good avatar.

I hope you enjoy SL as much as I do.

Look me up inworld, if you wish, and I'll help you, if I can. I can show you a few stores with good group gifts.

thank you for that info. I will keep that in mind as I continue to grow in second life. and thank you for the offer. 

Wearing old stuff from places like the Freebie Dungeon reminds me of this scene from an old movie where people in the late 80's weren't too impressed with one character's choice of threads:

The joke is that the guy has been in jail for so long, he thought the fashion scene was still in the 70's by the time he got out.

I guess that's how a pair of system pants from 2004 would look like to modern avatars.

• Haha 2

On 8/10/2020 at 6:56 AM, SarahMelisse said:

When you said "pirate," I immediately thought you were looking for Arcadia Asylum in Mieville. Apparently you were thinking of someplace else, but I will still mention it because it's all freebies, tons of them, and a fun place to wander around. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Mieville Pond/60/215/27

Thank you for the info. I will be checking that out.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.