Jump to content

Why Do Some Large Stores Restrict Teleport Routing to a Landing Point?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 77 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Not a fan of forced landing points but they don't bother me all that much if fly hasn't been turned off. Forced landing point plus not being able to fly = massive frustration. I don't want to be forced to walk past a bunch of stuff I have no interest in purchasing. Typically I'm going to cam shop anyway, but if I'm being dropped down in the center of a large shopping area with multiple shops I want to be able to fly to the shop I wanted in the first place. And just like with the timed demos .. frustrate me enough and I simply stop shopping at that store!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because they are stupid and don't give a darn about customer relations.

Forced landing points are frustrating as hell, to be sure.  I stopped bothering to even TP to the specific item.  I use area search to find the vendor and then use the 'Zoom to' feature to have the ar

I often go to a store looking for a specific item that I have seen or seen an ad for. In a large store, unless the item is prominently displayed near the entrance, the easiest way to find something is

11 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Not a fan of forced landing points but they don't bother me all that much if fly hasn't been turned off. Forced landing point plus not being able to fly = massive frustration. I don't want to be forced to walk past a bunch of stuff I have no interest in purchasing. Typically I'm going to cam shop anyway, but if I'm being dropped down in the center of a large shopping area with multiple shops I want to be able to fly to the shop I wanted in the first place. And just like with the timed demos .. frustrate me enough and I simply stop shopping at that store!

And  they really don't care if they made  'you' or others like you mad by doing so. You are not the customer they are looking for at that point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

And  they really don't care if they made  'you' or others like you mad by doing so. You are not the customer they are looking for at that point. 

I wouldn't be so sure. I spend a hell of a lot of money shopping... I mean seriously a lot of money.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Blush Bravin said:

I wouldn't be so sure. I spend a hell of a lot of money shopping... I mean seriously a lot of money.

That doesn't figure into it at all. The amount you spend is irrelevant. It how you spend it.. if you can be pressed into buying on short time limits..

Buy or do without..

Stores who do this subscribe to the pressure sales techniques. And won't change no matter who complains or how or why or what..

You're not in control over them and never will be with your complaining about what you don't like about how they do business..

The customer is 'not' always right or in power or control and never was..

Just some egotistical people like to think or say or claim or demand that they are. Or convince others that they are or can be too if they stand together.. a major fallacy in thinking. 

'Make me happy or else'.. well there is the door.. just keep walking.  You won't be missed.. not even your money. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

That doesn't figure into it at all. The amount you spend is irrelevant. It how you spend it.. if you can be pressed into buying on short time limits..

Buy or do without..

Stores who do this subscribe to the pressure sales techniques. And won't change no matter who complains or how or why or what..

You're not in control over them and never will be with your complaining about what you don't like about how they do business..

The customer is 'not' always right or in power or control and never was..

Just some egotistical people like to think or say or claim or demand that they are. Or convince others that they are or can be too if they stand together.. a major fallacy in thinking. 

'Make me happy or else'.. well there is the door.. just keep walking.  You won't be missed.. not even your money. 

Obviously you are not a merchant. I would never treat my customers the way you describe. 

And by the way, I don't complain to merchants who do this I simply stop shopping at the store. The OP asked so I responded. 

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Obviously you are not a merchant. I would never treat my customers the way you describe.

Again irrelevant.. not  every merchant thinks or acts like you or anyone else thinks that they have to. 

You are no more important to them then anyone else and never was. No matter how much you want to think different.

Your money and how much you spend doesn't make you special or important it never did.  You are just  a receipt number and nothing more. 

There are all kinds of different types of merchants out there.  Not all subscribe to your way of thinking and don't have to either. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do a lot of shoppers use area search? And if I have a landing spot in my store does this mean they can't use area search, or is there some other setting that prevents it?

At my landing spot I have a shopping HUD I want shoppers to grab and use, as it's the best way to get around my store..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Do a lot of shoppers use area search? And if I have a landing spot in my store does this mean they can't use area search, or is there some other setting that prevents it?

At my landing spot I have a shopping HUD I want shoppers to grab and use, as it's the best way to get around my store..

The problem with camming and aeaa search (and I do both) is that when you FIND the item you want to look out closely you can't double click and go there (Firestorm). It just takes you back to the landing point if you have wandered away. If you don't KNOW that the sim has a set landing point then it is easy to TRY and get to the item you are interested in and then lose it completely because you loose your camera focus when you get taken back to the forced landing.    

 

And of course only SOME teleport scripts will work inside a sim with a landing point. Hopefully yours do (wink).  IF you have SLURLS directly to products on the Marketplace then the forced landing point is a hindrance and sometimes makes it impossible to get where you want to be.  If your store is all on one level then you can at least SEE the red beam and hopefully follow it. But following is often tricky and walls get in the way and while you CAN sit on furniture (helpful) the whole journey is not pleasant. If your demos are all over your sim or plot on all different levels then it is impossible for folks to get to them.

 

I do agree that role play sims should naturally have an entry level to explain the rules etc. That is a perfect example of when forced landing work.  I rented a house last year (actually two) that had forced entry points and while "I" could get to my plots OK anyone coming in to visit had a terrible time and I usually had to teleport them over.  

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Do a lot of shoppers use area search?

Yes, oh definitely yes.  Area search is very popular.

As a region owner, you probably don't want it to be because lots of people having to use it at once will probably cause a huge amount of work for your region.
If it were me, I would want my store and products to be so quick and easy to navigate, people would find using Area Search to be too much trouble.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Firestorm does not have Area Search set on the Toolbar by default so I didn't know about it for quite some time but once I realized what it does, I've use it regularly. Saves a lot of hair pulling. A customer frustrated with not being able to find what what they originally came for, tends not to be a good impulse buyer.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

The problem with camming and aeaa search (and I do both) is that when you FIND the item you want to look out closely you can't double click and go there (Firestorm). It just takes you back to the landing point if you have wandered away.

Just right click the item in area search and zoom to it. No need to walk or teleport.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Frustration from the forced TP landing point I encountered the other day -- TP was forced to a location on the ground, yet the store owner had decided to move their store up to 1200 m and didn't remember to reset that forced landing point.

*sigh*

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, DeviousDreams said:

Just right click the item in area search and zoom to it. No need to walk or teleport.

Some of us actually LIKE to be close to the item ^^. No way to test the SCALE of something for instance. Some items (mesh especially) are oversized to keep the LODs fairly good. So those items would either remain too big for my use (I am six feet) OR if modded down would "fall appart" from a short distance.  

I KNOW this because I have purchased things (rarely) that I couldn't get to.  Hence my viewpoint. I don't like to through out things that I have just bought LOL.   

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Some of us actually LIKE to be close to the item ^^. No way to test the SCALE of something for instance. Some items (mesh especially) are oversized to keep the LODs fairly good. So those items would either remain too big for my use (I am six feet) OR if modded down would "fall appart" from a short distance.  

I KNOW this because I have purchased things (rarely) that I couldn't get to.  Hence my viewpoint. I don't like to through out things that I have just bought LOL.   

 

How are you testing the scale of something on display? Most of the time they are just an image, or a smashed down render and nowhere near the size of the actual product. Non clothing items might be the only exceptions. The only real way to test is to get a demo.

Edited by DeviousDreams
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DeviousDreams said:

How are you testing the scale of something on display? Most of the time they are just an image, or a smashed down render and nowhere near the size of the actual product. Shoes might be the only exception. The only real way to test is to get a demo.

I don't buy things that I cannot inspect first -- well now and then a gacha item.  I also look at  the triangle count and the texture weights (you can do that from afar most of the time though).   I have almost all my creations on display for folks to see. If I don't I will rez a copy for them.  That has always been my method. for selling as well as for buying.  Hence I am rarely disappointed when I do buy.  As I said, I learned my lesson.  I am mostly shopping for Home and Garden items. I have tons of clothes and accessories and I do NOT buy those things without a demo item.  I blog enough to know how good some vendor photos are and how bad the products ACTUALLY are ^^.   

 

And yes, DEMO DEMO DEMO is the mantra on these forums.  I can't believe people buy $10,000 items without seeing what they are purchasing. But they do.  Just not me.  I will say that I get fairly upset with creators that link whole sets together (everything that doesn't have sits) so that you cannot tell what the triangle count or texture use is on a single item.  I am not buying that "ease of movement" argument LOL.  It is sneaky and I rarely  buy those things. I did buy something today like that. It was half price so that helped AND the WHOLE set (linked) was a reasonable triangle count so I figured it would be OK. I haven't opened it yet to see though :D.  If that store would have had a dedicated landing point I probably wouldn't have purchased the items I did. Some of the lODs were very bad and some of the triangle counts were over the moon --- so you really needed to be a conscientious buyer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DeviousDreams said:

I'm waiting for someone to make a store where the landing point is a cattle pen. All the products are in a field on the other side of the fence. No jumping no flying. Moo 🐄

Fly off.. landing zone  with a  pusher.. invisible prim above  pen preventing anyone using fly override.. pen fences high enough  to reach  prim but  still allow room for double stacked avatars until  pusher can  move them out of landing zone..

Ready made cow farm..

Maybe toss in a rlv control zone to further limit  jumping or flying for those who go there with an auto relay on.

:P

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DeviousDreams said:

 How are you testing the scale of something on display? Most of the time they are just an image, or a smashed down render and nowhere near the size of the actual product. Non clothing items might be the only exceptions.

I'm pretty sure she it totally talking about non-clothing items -- furniture, household items, gardening items, etc....  

Those are the time when I typically want to be right next to an item also.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Do a lot of shoppers use area search? And if I have a landing spot in my store does this mean they can't use area search, or is there some other setting that prevents it?

At my landing spot I have a shopping HUD I want shoppers to grab and use, as it's the best way to get around my store..

If your shopping HUD is offered in a blue pop-up window, I would close it without reading. Those pop-up windows are so annoying. Most of all the "welcome to my store" then comes the offer of a landmark, join the group and all that.

I am sure many like me do the same.

I almost never come to a store without an idea of what to buy. I have seen it in a blog, on Flickr, I have zoomed into a property and seen something I like and inspected it to find the creator. So I can type in the name. I don't have to type in the whole. If something is named like "*^¨GS^¨* Natalie over-knee velvet boots" I can type in Natalie and hit search. Unless every product in your store is named Natalie, I find it. The demo, the velvet boots in single colors, the fatpack. All listed nice in the search window.

Open area search and type in a few letters makes me feel active, I am doing something. While waiting for a teleport board or information sign to rez, makes me annoyed because I must stand there passive. I do not like to accept a shopping HUD, add it and wait for it to go from grey to load, then find out what sector I want to go to. That is following instructions and it irks me. I don't want to be told how to shop.

Those weekly sales have started to use HUDs. One in particular send a message that I shall teleport to the office and get a HUD. I am like  "What? Go...". I must have been there and tried it once, and now I have to block that sender. Because no way am I going to get there and grab a HUD without knowing I want something of what they offer.

Groups where I can choose between a notecard or a HUD is better. The best is those who have a page with a gallery of what's this weekends offer, and I can teleport there direct. Easy and effective.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Those weekly sales have started to use HUDs.

I follow one of these in particular. They dumped the webpage listing in favour of a hud. The textures in the hud take forever to load and I've got thoroughly fed up with it! And that's just to find out if there is anything I'd like to look at.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are following a TP or a link and get stopped by a forced landing point simply hit the link again!

Teleporting from the forced landing point will allow you to go straight to the link location.

Stores change, things get rearranged, old links may lead to unviable landing spots.

Forced Landing points only work for people coming onto the property from another location. Just click the TP a second time when you land and you'll go right where you want to be.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Artorius Constantine said:

If you are following a TP or a link and get stopped by a forced landing point simply hit the link again!

Teleporting from the forced landing point will allow you to go straight to the link location.

When does this work? I swear I've seen it work, too, but most times I get some message about not being able to teleport closer to the destination (although even then there's a handy beacon showing where I wanted to go, so all is not lost). Is it some function of how the region's teleport routing is set up? or maybe some "ability" that's in the (active?) group role? I don't think it can be a shared delusion that it works, sometimes, but I bet we wouldn't have to try very hard to find somewhere it doesn't work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Odaks said:

I follow one of these in particular. They dumped the webpage listing in favour of a hud. The textures in the hud take forever to load and I've got thoroughly fed up with it! And that's just to find out if there is anything I'd like to look at.

I most often use a viewer* that will show a little preview of an embedded texture in a notecard when I wave my mouse over it, and fortunately the groups that I follow with the take-forever-to-load HUDs are delivered with a notecard listing all the destinations. This saves a lot of time and aggravation.

__________
*Catznip, but maybe other viewers do this too; probably I've just been too impatient to notice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 77 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...