Deploy plans for the week of 2020-08-03

Maestro Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1177 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server:

There will be no SLS channel roll this week.

Second Life RC:

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2020-07-29T00%3A01%3A10.545722.html

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2020-07-31T15%3A02%3A15.545966.html

Scheduled Wednesday 2020-08-05 07:00-10:30 PDT

On Region Restarts:
Regions will be restarted if they have been running for more than 10 days on Tuesday (Main Channel) and Wednesday (RCs) regardless of whether or not new code is being deployed, for the general health and well being of the Simulators. Nothing beats turning it off and then on again ... once in a while.

As always please plan events around these maintenance windows. However, if you are hosting an event on Tuesday or Wednesday when we're not deploying new code, you can restart your region ahead of time to avoid interruptions.

• Thanks 8

In the user group yesterday, the RCs were described:

[2020/08/04 12:03]  Rider Linden: Since we didn't have an RC last week there was nothing rolled to the main channel today.  We do have two simulators rolling to RC next week.  One is an internal change to support uplift and the other is some changes to the way region crossings are handled.
[...]
[2020/08/04 12:03]  Joe Magarac (animats): Is the change to crossings the same one that's on the beta grid cloud sims now?
[...]
[2020/08/04 12:04]  Rider Linden: I believe it is Animats.
[...]
[2020/08/04 12:07]  Joe Magarac (animats): I've had good results testing crossings on the beta grid AWS sims. Outright failure at single crossings is almost nonexistent. Double region crossings at corners can still fail.
[...]
[2020/08/04 12:07]  Rider Linden: Crossing information is passed between the simulators slightly differently than we had been doing it in the past.  Beyond that would be getting into architecture and I'd rather not go there.

So if one were to exercise the new region crossings, I guess one would head for regions running 2020-07-29T00:01:10.545722, right?

I realize any effect would be very different from crossing between regions all running the same version -- and running it on AWS, no less, but some may be interested in trying it anyway.

• Lindens
41 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

In the user group yesterday, the RCs were described:

So if one were to exercise the new region crossings, I guess one would head for regions running 2020-07-29T00:01:10.545722, right?

I realize any effect would be very different from crossing between regions all running the same version -- and running it on AWS, no less, but some may be interested in trying it anyway.

That's correct, @Qie Niangao.   When crossing between two regions on a version with this change (which is only 2020-07-29T00:01:10.545722 after today's rolls), the new, AWS-compatible, object region crossing code will be used.  Otherwise, the old object region crossing code will be used.

If you'd like to try the new crossing code, the "BlueSteel Sandbox" and "LeTigre Sandbox" regions would be a convenient choice.  Anybody in the open-enrollment "Second Life Beta" group can visit those regions and rez objects.

• Thanks 3

@MissTauniThis is not the place to request such a thing, you need to contact LL support via their website.  This is a very old thread and is unlikely to be seen by anyone who can help you.

Further, the RC channel formerly known as LeTigre would only be identified by the server software code as those names are no longer used by LL.  You do not need, so far as I know, membership of the Second Life Beta group to access regions that at one time might have been designated LeTigre.

Edited by Aishagain
correction of my atrocious spelling
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1177 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.