I made an avatar of myself with a 3d scanning app for IOS

kolllya

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1253 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been thinking about playing Second Life as myself for quite some time. It's a fun experience to see yourself in a virtual world, especially when you are on a lockdown during a pandemic. The problem was, I'm not a 3d artist, so I couldn't model myself from images. And I'm a very lazy person, so I didn't want to search for a studio to get myself scanned...

So I used an app designed specifically for 3d scanning of people, [Moderator Edit: Advertising Link Removed] and here's the result:

1ff9edbcaba65018409cd9580acba773.png

The idea is pretty simple. You let your phone stand on a flat surface and record a video of yourself turning around:

[Moderator Edit: Advertising Links Removed]

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Amanda Dallin said:

Were you able to rig the mesh body produced?  Without rigging for SL you'd just have a static mesh object that can't move.

Actually, my friend helped. I believe he used Avastar

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, relauv said:

Is this going to be your main look? 

I'm fascinated too.  But, as per your question, that could be his look for SL dates.   :P

I mean, really!  This can add a whole new dimension to that.  So,  you make one of yourself in a tux, that's the formal date.  Then one in your swim trunks, OR speedo, per preferences.  That's for casual dates.  Then you ...uhhhh.. wait... OH LOOK at that time!  I gotta go. 

• Haha 3

That looks pretty neat. (I saw the video of him dancing so for those asking about rigging, it obviously is). 

That said, I can't imagine anything worse than having an avatar that looks exactly like the way I look in RL. Now if someone makes an app that will do it the other way round, and change my RL body to match my avatar... HAVE ALL OF MY MONEY NOW!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 9

On 8/5/2020 at 8:18 PM, Lewis Luminos said:

That looks pretty neat. (I saw the video of him dancing so for those asking about rigging, it obviously is). 

That said, I can't imagine anything worse than having an avatar that looks exactly like the way I look in RL. Now if someone makes an app that will do it the other way round, and change my RL body to match my avatar... HAVE ALL OF MY MONEY NOW!!!

Insightful!

Scanning is cool  but the result is not supposed to be used as is in game environment, pls check your avatar geometry, unless you did retopo, it`s gazilion polygons, not something you want or need in SL ....I sure hope ppl don`t start doing this, there`s more than enough un-optimized mesh already...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaxMare said:

Scanning is cool  but the result is not supposed to be used as is in game environment, pls check your avatar geometry, unless you did retopo, it`s gazilion polygons, not something you want or need in SL ....I sure hope ppl don`t start doing this, there`s more than enough un-optimized mesh already...

Yes, the app itself does retop. The mesh can be further downsampled if needed

• Like 1

@kolllyaI think you have a market here for those people that strive to recreate themselves in SL, the only real issue is going to be making the avatar more of a game asset i.e lower poly, hair, eyes and clothing. I know a few people that say their avatar looks like them.

Anybody remember that machine you could upload pictures of yourself and you would get a personalized skin?

4 hours ago, Janet Voxel said:

@kolllyaI think you have a market here for those people that strive to recreate themselves in SL, the only real issue is going to be making the avatar more of a game asset i.e lower poly, hair, eyes and clothing. I know a few people that say their avatar looks like them.

Anybody remember that machine you could upload pictures of yourself and you would get a personalized skin?

@Janet Voxel yes it would be cool to deliver personalized avatars to such people!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kolllya said:

Ok, but I'd like to make such avatars for other people, for free...

How do I let people know?

I don't have an answer for that.   

I just know that advertising is not allowed on the forums.  Apparently, based on the Moderator's change to your initial post, them removing the links was enough to remove the forbidden advertising part.  Otherwise they would have removed the entire thread.

16 hours ago, Zeotetra said:

A nice idea i'd love to scan my dogs head and then my cousins arm and after my foot put it on my system avatar and see how cool it can look

Too bad the app only works with people.

However, I would love to see an app that scans dogs!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1253 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.