Is RP a big part of your SL experience?

From what I've encountered thus far it seems more people RP than not. At least from the places I've visited. Of course I'm thinking this varies heavily by community, but I'm curious who on the forums is big into RP. Not any particular RP, just role-playing in general.

I've tired it, it's personally not for me but I've always admired the amount of creativity and time the serious roleplayers anywhere put into their characters and backstories. 

• Like 1

I suppose the difference between role play and authentic self is whether or not you identify with your character, whether or not you believe you are *formless*. But things can get even weirder, such as a tulpa member from your system going out onto Second Life.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Ishka Magic said:

Do you mean actual RP - like Star Trek Roleplay or Medival style sims?

Or do you mean that the person behind the avatar plays a different version of themselfs in SL?

@verycherrycharm

Both. Any type of roleplay. There's too many styles for me to pick out just one so I'll just lump them all together. 

I tried some RP back in the beginning of my SL - but I am not good in acting or following strict rules and setups at all so it wasn't enjoyable to me. I always admire people who can do it. And I saw some well made sims back then.

• Like 1

I do RP sometimes, but most of my characters, if not all, have pretty close personality to my own, or I'd say it's the same. I identify myself with every OC I make.
So it's like I do, but at the same time I don't.
--
And I think "keep RL and SL separate" is a bit weird. You can't act _not_ as yourself since it's you the one behind the screen x,D

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, kuragenox said:

I think "keep RL and SL separate" is a bit weird. You can't act _not_ as yourself since it's you the one behind the screen x,D

True enough, but that's not what most people mean by it.  I don't tell anyone in SL who I am in RL. The few people in RL who know that I am in SL don't have the faintest idea who I am here either.  The worlds don't touch, except right here at my desk.

image.png.e316dc6e9baff5b66961752e064e5508.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

It's impossible for me to not to be "in the role" any more, unless I'm doing some very formal and official business or conversation - and I don't have only SL in mind. For over twenty years now I'm constantly in contact with various communities or people that roleplay here and there, casually and for real (D&D?). As a result, one of the traits of my behaviour is the fact, that I have a tendency to describing some actions or thoughts between asterisks or with /me almost all the time... including Slack at RL work. The fact, that Pantera is de facto my alter ego and representation not only in SL, but in whole "digital existence" of mine is also a building block and factor here. And I'm still just being myself.

*curtsies, smiles and flicks her draconic tongue; After a small jump into the air and spreading her wings she vanishes into the darkness of night*

• Haha 1

I did want to roleplay when I started SL. I have a background in tabletop RPGs going back to 1983, and the first account I made in SL was created to be a representation of my favourite prior RPG character.

However I soon discovered that roleplay opportunities for people in my timezone are as rare as a Level V Bag of Holding, and in the whole 14 years since making that account, I've been involved in a grand total of two, for just a few months each and then seeing them both close down.

As far as playing a "different version of myself" in SL, I both do and don't do that. On this account I don't; I'm always me, exactly as you'd find me in RL (except ginger, fitter and better-looking). But on my alts I might be different; they have their own personalities that sometimes shine through, overlaying my own.

I used to do the normal SL RP a long time ago. Post apocalyptic marauding, fantasy thieving.... hmm, always some form of banditry now that I think about it. Wasn't really why I started playing SL and certainly hasn't taken the majority of my time.

These days I'm just me, but on occasion I'll play D&D or other games inside SL at a table.

Yep I used to RP a lot, lived on RP sims and met most of my friends there. Now we are mostly old and lazy and sit around reminiscing about our adventures, sometimes making a cameo appearance on new sims. Also, the costuming is fun - people put together some really stunning outfits/avatars.

• Like 1

I still RP most of my SL time. When not making new stuff to sell or working the other two businesses I built up. Now I am no longer interested in big RP sims, too many people, too much BS for me personally. I just build little scenes with friends on my sim and we switch it up whenever we get bored with something. Currently we have a modern rp area, a viking one and a renaissance Europe one. Small groups is where it's at for me these days.

I guess I would consider myself "big into RP", even though I have many hobbies on SL. The photography, the shape making, the social interactions, all tend to generate from my roleplay needs.  

Don't know how much or how little you want to know about the experience, and my take on it.  I find that the combination of improv acting paired with creative writing to be a refreshing exercise.  Many times I have found myself longing to convert my experiences into a graphic novel, or some such.  But the stories don't ever seem to end, so I'm not sure how well that'd work out. 😅

I was really big into RP a few months into SL. Joined a few fantasy sims and had a years long ongoing story as a dragon! Eventually left, did some one on one RP with a friend to continue it before we parted ways, made a gorean character or two and tried to enjoy that. Realized after awhile that their fandom was always going to be creepy and gross so I left them. Did a stint as a kobold for a few months, and it was the most fun I'd had RPing in years but I was losing interest so I backed out.

Wish I'd saved the notecards for those ;-; the stories were super unique and inventive!

Did some RP as a dragon and while that was fun I realized I preferred casual rules built on stable, sensible lore instead of whatever the hell I was dealing with so I yeeted myself out and now I don't RP in SL anymore.

To me, everything I do in SL is roleplay, because my SL persona is not me in RL, and so every time I come here I am playing a role. Lots of people however have told me that this is not roleplay, so then I would say that RP is not a part of my SL. Often my experience when I get on a RP sIm is negative, so I now tend to avoid them. 

Edited by Talligurl
On 8/9/2020 at 7:38 AM, Talligurl said:

To me, everything I do in Sl is roleplay....

Often my experience when I get on a RP sIm is negative, so I now tend to avoid them. 

I like this report since you ARE a roleplay.  Yes, you alone, or in a company of others, are the embodiment of continuous roleplay, when in world.  So, you are a roleplay landing on an RP sim and finding it negative, you take your roleplay away.  How finely wrought is that?  You were never NOT a roleplay in this instance, or any other. 

This is how it is, for LOTS of players who are like that.  I know many. It's freeing and fun.  Even if you do exchange rl recipes with someone in world, or talk about a build you're working on, or chat about RL current events, you never relinquish your rp self; you never pull back the curtain.  Why should you?  It's fun and freeing to be your SL, rp self, and have a world to play in. This is the reality of what SL rp can mean, and does mean, on a broad scale. 

That's my belief. 

-Ciao

• Like 1