I'm looking for scripters

Blackjack Cioc

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1354 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You're posting in the wrong place.  Ask in the InWorld Employment forum.  This forum is a place for scripters to trade ideas and moan about things that aren't working in their LSL scripts.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Don't forget, moan about things we can't do in LSL yet, but should have a decade ago. 🙂

Switch statements, classes, dictionaries, dynamic variables, inheritance, auto complete, debugging tools!! 😅😆

Edited by ItHadToComeToThis

1 hour ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Switch statements, classes, dictionaries, dynamic variables, inheritance, auto complete, debugging tools!! 😅😆

Without more memory per script, more language features would result in scripts that wouldn't fit.

• Like 1

if I could have only one thing other than debugging tools then I would like a struct type please

like:

struct mything
{
   string Text;
   vector Color;
   integer Opacity;
}

mything a;

a.Text = "Hello! World";
a.Color = <1.0, 1.0, 1.0>;
a.Opacity = 1.0;

list mylist += [a];

mything b = llList2Struct(mylist, mything, 0);

llSetText(b.Text, b.Color, b.Opacity);

19 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Isn't this a list?

is a bit more than this

i used the llList2Struct() function to show how we might be able to use/access a list of structs

as Nova suggests structs would add a whole lot more efficiency and readability to our scripts. Another example:

struct mysit
{
   string: Animation;
   vector: Pos;
   rotation: Rot;
}

mysit Sit;

Sit.Animation = llGetInventoryName(INVENTORY_ANIMATION, 0);
Sit.Pos = <0.0,0.0,0.5>;
Sit.Rot = llEuler2Rot(<0.0,0.0,90.0> * DEG_TO_RAD);

llStartAnimation(Sit.Animation);
llSetPos(Sit.Pos);
llSetRot(Sit.Rot);

// with lists then we have to write like:

list mysit;
llStartAnimation(llList2String(mysit, 0));
llSetPos(llList2Vector(mysit, 1));
llSetRot(llList2Rot(mysit, 2));

i think that the struct way of writing code is a lot more readable/understandable than the way we have to do it now

i think as well that the Linden developers who maintain the LSL codebase would like it as well if/when one day Linden make some budget available for this. Adding a struct wouldn't break any existing scripts. The existing ways would still be available and continue to work. It would tho enable us to code in a more descriptive way going forward

I agree that readability is greatly improved, but I'm not convinced there would be any improvement at runtime.I am slightly biased here because years ago I was working on two system in parallel, a threaded-interpreted Language (Forth) and a stack-based intermediate language. In each case I was able to take the "compiled" code to a dissassembler and look to see what extra stuff was being added by the compilation process, and the stack-based intermediate language (read bytecode today) had nearly twice as much extra machine operations as the TIL. Yes, it was much nicer looking at C-code when writing the programs, but the Forth implementation ran almost 30% faster and took up a lot less space, to the point where there was no longer a need to have overlays being paged in and out.

Style and form are both great, but I will go for functionality every time.

1 hour ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

I agree that readability is greatly improved, but I'm not convinced there would be any improvement at runtime

LSL is a stack based language so i think that we can only compare stack-based to stack-based

comparatively then

struct MyThing
{
   integer I;
   string S;
}

the template for the struct MyThing is a static object in heap memory (so this memory allocation is a minus for script memory use)

mything A;

create A copy in heap memory of MyThing
initialise A.I in-situ in this heap memory to 0
assign to A.S a pointer into the stringtable in heap memory
push a pointer to A onto the stack

comparatively

integer I;
string S;

push I onto the stack
initialise I in-situ on the stack to 0

push S onto the stack
assign to S on the stack a pointer into the stringtable in heap memory

LSL also uses pointers on the stack to other heap memory types: vector, rotation, list, etc

so in the above comparison we can say that  generally structs are more expensive memory-wise than straight variables

when we compare to list type tho we gain performance efficiences

A.I = stack pointer to (heap memory block A ) + memory offset I;

i = llList2Integer(A, 0) is a call to a look up routine

in this comparison structs will outperform lists by quite a lot

structs are found in languages like C.  A way to group related values of different types into a contiguous memory block to speed access

Edited by Mollymews
memory

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1354 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.