Sign in to follow this  
VirtualKitten

is it possible to push an object in a circle

Hi scriptwriters and scribblers

I am back with another question . 

Can i push an object in a circle with an angular impulse if so how do i set diameter of this circumference  as an angular vector

I have 

target_relative_direction = pos - llGetPos();
          vector target_normalised_vector = llVecNorm(target_relative_direction);
          float push = 1;
          llPushObject( intruder_key, ((push/100.0)*2147483647)*target_normalised_vector, ZERO_VECTOR, FALSE );

Which pushes in a straight line on global co-ordinates . If I want to get a circle can i change ZERO_VECTOR to an angular rotation and how and what  and will this be in relation to diameter of circle pushed around ?

Thank you for looking :)

Posted (edited)

i understand Since the arclength around a circle is given by the radius*angle (l = r*theta), you can convert an angular velocity w into linear velocity v by multiplying it by the radius r, so v = rw.

but not sure how to apply this to angular vector

Edited by VirtualKitten

Posted (edited)

look up example scripts of llKeyFramedMotion for methods to plot points on the circumference of a circle

then a way is use a timer event to push the agent toward the next point in the sequence

a thing is that we can't rotate an agent with a script (agent can only rotate itself using its own input device/keyboard/mouse/etc) so it can look a bit naff as without agent input the agent will always be facing the same direction as it travels the circle

being able to rotate a agent with a script has often been requested but Linden haven't give it to us. Maybe one day hopefully

when we go down the path of pushing agents then we are on a journey to writing a impulse engine.  Argent Stonecutter's Flight Feather is an implementation of an agent impulse engine and I think it can still be gotten full permissions inworld on his parcel for some small amount of L$. I don't have a parcel SLURL for it but am pretty sure it can be found in inworld search

edit add:

i crossed out the bit about rotating not able to be done.  Wulfie showed me how llPushObject actually works when we apply/simulate angular impulse in code. Which is a pretty good thing to know about.  I ask Wulfie to post what he told me as I think is a good thing when we all can know about these things

Edited by Mollymews

7 hours ago, Mollymews said:

being able to rotate a agent with a script has often been requested but Linden haven't give it to us. Maybe one day hopefully

There's always opencollar, that manages it :)

8 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

There's always opencollar, that manages it :)

yes is true about the RLV engine.  I often tend to overlook things that 3rd party viewers can do.  My thoughts are always pretty much along what we can/can't do out of the Linden box

this said it would be pretty interesting to see an avatar impulse engine that incorporates the Z-rotational capability of RLV

i have a script that pushes for magic . This works in a straight line without open collar or llKeyFrame

link_message(integer sender, integer num, string str, key _key) {
         if (llGetAgentSize(intruder_key) == <0.0,0.0,0.0>) return;

list tmp = llParseString2List(str,["|"],[]);
          string _name = llList2String(tmp,0); //llGetSubString(str,  0, llSubStringIndex(str,"|") - 1);
          vector pos = (vector)llList2String(tmp,1); 
          vector target_relative_direction;
          float push = .010;
          target_relative_direction = pos - llGetPos();
          vector target_normalised_vector = llVecNorm(target_relative_direction);
          string action = "Push";

if (llGetAgentSize(_key) == <0.0,0.0,0.0>) return;
          llPushObject( _key, ((push/100.0)*2147483647)*target_normalised_vector,  link_message(integer sender, integer num, string str, key intruder_key) {

i tried      llPushObject( intruder_key, ((push/100.0)*2147483647)*target_normalised_vector, <0.3,0.3,0.0>, FALSE ); using <0.3,0.3,0.3> as the angular vector but it still travels the avatar in a straight line . I don't understand these angular pushes  can anyone sagest how you get an angular vector that pushes in a circle