Jump to content

Morality is different in SL vs RL


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 85 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I'm sure none of it is meant maliciously, but there's a difference between mixing up the meaning of words like "vanity" and "narcissism", especially if English isn't one's mother tongue, and outright bringing disability into it, more than once. That's not a language nuance.

 

Disabled people EXIST. If we are to censor language to the point of not being able to mention them at all, then we cheapen their lives, their EXPERIENCES...all in the name of what? Political correctness?

If one adopts the veneer of morality does that make one good? It's very easy to feel good about oneself by striking the very current and popular POSE of "champion of some cause" hahahahahaha. It's a cheap tactic and a very poor attempt at obfuscation.

Such distractions can not obscure the fact that bitter, friendless people pile on Pearl because they hide out in their lil sky boxes, afraid to interact with people. Our lil Pearl is SOCIALLY active in addition to being sexually active. She should not have to defend herself for being so enthusiastic about her self, nor her Second Life to bitter little forum grammarians hiding behind semantics, too afraid to face a syllogism.

This isn't the SLU forums hahahahahaha. The Hive Mind holds no sway here. Not so long as THIS One Lane has anything to say about it.

Edited by Jumpman Lane
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wait....what in the actual hell? Do you know what narcissism actually is? How on earth does narcissism in sl, which is more likely to be a projection of the exact same trait in a person in rl (whether

I think you mean vanity instead of narcissism. Vanity can be a bad thing in RL but in SL it drives the economy. Lust is another vice.... drives the SL economy again.

This is probably the worst thing I have read on the forums for a long time.   Why on earth would having sexual fantasies with a disabled person in RL be considered immoral?  Why on earth imply that di

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

"I think, therefore I am" ....hmmmm...I'm not sure about that...lol

You know, in my meditation group they say 'thinking' is the problem...we believe our 'thinking' is us....we identify with it too much...and our true self is actualy deeper than that....so Descartes got it wrong with that little line...

Where's the cosmic @Chromal Brodsky....we need their opinion on it...

Cosmic Chroma at your service. I'm but a neophyte truth seeker, still struggling even with basic virtues like humility. I've heard it said that identifying with one's thoughtstreams is attachment to duality and misery. They may be on to something, there.

Edited by Chroma Starlight
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Luna won't make anymore points todayyyy   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

crying baby 5 moving.gif

It's like a personality transplant. At least you're admitting that you're no longer even trying and have no argument. That's less scary than the alternative, which is that you're following your MA with a PhD in the Gorean School of Critical Response.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I disagree. It's just as offensive in SL as it is in RL. It may not get mentioned to the person doing it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't offend.

Don't expect me to argue the point. I've been down that road more times than I care to remember. Just accept that it is offensive to many of those who know the meaning behind the headdress.

Disagree with what? I didn't say it's not offensive in SL, or that some people are not offended by it. If I thought that, I would not have even noticed it or commented on it. The point is, that unlike in real life, it is comparitively well accepted AND rewarded by people favouriting pictures of avatars who do it. Same as people getting their kicks creating pictures of abused female avatars, which is offensive as hell to any woman who has experienced domestic violence, or those who have been impacted by it (ie a large number of people). And well known events are happy to accept morally questionable avatar items because they are so widely acceptable to SL users. People would not be making them if they did not sell well. However, if you dare raise the issue of morality in SL you are criticised as some kind of puritanical freak, so don't dare do that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

Cosmic Chroma at your service. I'm but a neophyte truth seeker, still struggling even with basic virtues like humility. I've heard it said that identifying with one's thoughtstreams is attachment to duality and misery. They may be on to something, there.

Well Chroma, I just better make it to my Zoom meditation class tonight so I can experience duality, misery, and my annoying thoughtstreams yet again...   :(  lol

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well Chroma, I just better make it to my Zoom meditation class tonight so I can experience duality, misery, and my annoying thoughtstreams yet again...   :(  lol

Acknowledge them as they pass, dismiss them kindly. Wash rinse repeat until your mind is quiet. And remember to have fun! 💚

Edited by Chroma Starlight
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

It's like a personality transplant. At least you're admitting that you're no longer even trying and have no argument. That's less scary than the alternative, which is that you're following your MA with a PhD in the Gorean School of Critical Response.

Oh Amina, anybody who knows me well, or even anyone who has observed me on forums, knows that at times I break out of my seriousness into total silliness.  The arguments about "THE SINS OF BAGNU" were getting too circular, it was boring and useless. So I stopped.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:
23 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well Chroma, I just better make it to my Zoom meditation class tonight so I can experience duality, misery, and my annoying thoughtstreams yet again...   :(  lol

Acknowledge them as they pass, dismiss them kindly. Wash rinse repeat until your mind is quiet.

Good advice.  Yes I have gone beyond for a few glorious moments now and again.  I'm not sure whether this was the gift of knowing a state of consciousness which is truly better, or a curse because it's so hard to get there again.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Stephanie Misfit said:
16 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I disagree. It's just as offensive in SL as it is in RL. It may not get mentioned to the person doing it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't offend.

Don't expect me to argue the point. I've been down that road more times than I care to remember. Just accept that it is offensive to many of those who know the meaning behind the headdress.

Disagree with what? I didn't say it's not offensive in SL, or that some people are not offended by it. If I thought that, I would not have even noticed it or commented on it. The point is, that unlike in real life, it is comparitively well accepted AND rewarded by people favouriting pictures of avatars who do it. Same as people getting their kicks creating pictures of abused female avatars, which is offensive as hell to any woman who has experienced domestic violence, or those who have been impacted by it (ie a large number of people). And well known events are happy to accept morally questionable avatar items because they are so widely acceptable to SL users. People would not be making them if they did not sell well. However, if you dare raise the issue of morality in SL you are criticised as some kind of puritanical freak, so don't dare do that.

What was really offensive on page 1, directly after your comment, was the following, which many agreed with:

"Dressing up in clothes from any culture, even if it isn't yours, should be perfectly acceptable in RL as well. It's unfortunate that some people make it seem bad so that people are afraid to do it."

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Luna Bliss said:

Oh Amina, anybody who knows me well, or even anyone who has observed me on forums, knows that at times I break out of my seriousness into total silliness.  The arguments about "THE SINS OF BAGNU" were getting too circular, it was boring and useless. So I stopped.

No, I can honestly say I've never seen you posting like a drunk reality television star in a Twitter flame war. I was seriously wondering if your account had been hacked by someone who doesn't like you, especially when you straight out admitted you had no case. It was absolutely bizarre. If it really was you, then...phew, I suppose.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:
19 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Oh Amina, anybody who knows me well, or even anyone who has observed me on forums, knows that at times I break out of my seriousness into total silliness.  The arguments about "THE SINS OF BAGNU" were getting too circular, it was boring and useless. So I stopped.

No, I can honestly say I've never seen you posting like a drunk reality television star in a Twitter flame war. I was seriously wondering if your account had been hacked by someone who doesn't like you, especially when you straight out admitted you had no case. It was absolutely bizarre. If it really was you, then...phew, I suppose.

Admitted I had no case?  I have a very good case, it's just that we keep repeating the points, over and over, and it was boring.

Truly laughing out loud..a drunk reality TV star. You know, somebody who pops in a million times whenever I'm arguing with others to tell everyone I have a bad MO and "devoid of meaning and good intent" is the silly one...he deserves nothing but a crying baby face in response.

Same with you guys who are on repeat over grammar & your PC run amok.  This wild little guy, new to me, Jumpman, said it right.

Edited by Luna Bliss
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Luna Bliss said:

Admitted I had no case?  I have a very good case, it's just that we keep repeating the points, over and over, and it was boring.

Truly laughing out loud..a drunk reality TV star. You know, somebody who pops in a million times whenever I'm arguing with others to tell everyone I have a bad MO is the silly one...he deserves nothing but a crying baby face in response.

Same with you guys who are on repeat over grammar.  This wild little guy, new to me, Jackman, said it right.

Look, as long as it's really you...I genuinely thought you might have been hacked. It really was just that weird. It was bordering on Gorean. 

Grammar? I don't recall that featuring in the discussion. Unless you're referring to the clumsy phrasing of "feeling human". I'd call that syntax, personally, but from my perspective it's immaterial since I felt it was the sentiment rather than the actual choice of words that caused the problem.

Anyway, uh....many juddering babies to you, since you apparently like them. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Words are enormously powerful things; they have consequences. This is especially true in an online or virtual context, where language, often stripped of nuance and context, is the primary means by which we engage with each other. And it is so easy to hurt people with it, even inadvertently. Hurtful language here can have the impact of a punch in the gut.  I've experienced such pain, and, on occasion, I've made a mistake, and inflicted it on others. When I have, I hope I have apologized.

Pearl (@Bagnu), I am pretty sure you are a genuinely good person. I don't believe for a moment that you intended to cause hurt and pain in your language describing the disabled -- and yet it is objective fact, demonstrated here by the response of some you've hurt, that you did.

You've responded to that, however, not by providing a clear and uncomplicated apology, but by twisting and turning, and being defensive. I can understand why that is so, but surely you realize that it is only making things worse, and suggesting that you don't actually care about the hurt your words have caused?

And some of the defences of your words here frankly have the air of the white person patiently exhorting a black person not to get so "worked up" about racism. It's not helping. Avoiding hurtful language isn't about being "PC" -- it's about being a decent person.

If you are the person that I think you are, you will give this some thought, and you will return here to offer a genuine and heartfelt apology to those you've insulted and hurt.

No one will think the worse of you for that. On the contrary, it will confirm for me and others that you are someone who cares about others.

  • Like 11
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Words are enormously powerful things; they have consequences. This is especially true in an online or virtual context, where language, often stripped of nuance and context, is the primary means by which we engage with each other. And it is so easy to hurt people with it, even inadvertently. Hurtful language here can have the impact of a punch in the gut.  I've experienced such pain, and, on occasion, I've made a mistake, and inflicted it on others. When I have, I hope I have apologized.

Pearl (@Bagnu), I am pretty sure you are a genuinely good person. I don't believe for a moment that you intended to cause hurt and pain in your language describing the disabled -- and yet it is objective fact, demonstrated here by the response of some you've hurt, that you did.

You've responded to that, however, not by providing a clear and uncomplicated apology, but by twisting and turning, and being defensive. I can understand why that is so, but surely you realize that it is only making things worse, and suggesting that you don't actually care about the hurt your words have caused?

And some of the defences of your words here frankly have the air of the white person patiently exhorting a black person not to get so "worked up" about racism. It's not helping. Avoiding hurtful language isn't about being "PC" -- it's about being a decent person.

If you are the person that I think you are, you will give this some thought, and you will return here to offer a genuine and heartfelt apology to those you've insulted and hurt.

No one will think the worse of you for that. On the contrary, it will confirm for me and others that you are someone who cares about others.

I have apologized, and I meant it. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

I have apologized, and I meant it.

Yes i saw that, Pearl.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Amina Sopwith
Amina, I'd also like to see you apologize to Pearl. When I confronted you about attacking Pearl a week or so ago you insisted you never attacked anyone. I regret not going into greater detail then but I will clarify now.  When you consistently deny that someone is being real or authentic this is a kind of attack, one of the worst kinds really. How would you like it if nearly every time you spoke I accused you of trying to advertise or of being a troll when you were simply attempting to be who you were with others the best you knew how to be? Can you put yourself in her place and imagine how this would feel? I remember one night her confusion and insistence that she was just trying to talk the same as anybody else, yet you were insisting she wasn't being an authentic forum member.

I think the fact that she's an SL escort really bothers you, though I've heard you say otherwise. But when I went back to Pearl's earliest posts I could see it clearly. Once you start ragging on someone as you did it's too easy for others to jump aboard and take sides, especially with a new person...and that's what I saw happening.

I'm all for Pearl apologizing again to anyone who took her words wrong about disabled people, thinking Pearl meant they were 'less than'. One thing I do know very well about Pearl is that she'd never want to hurt anyone, even inadvertently. But I think you should do the same and apologize to her for your part in this whole fiasco too. You can't seem to understand she just wants affirmation and is very enthusiastic about her identity -- instead you've frequently assigned malicious motivation to so many of her behaviors (like when she opened a new thread trying to declare she's not here to advertise, simply because she has been accused of this so much and so wanted to state her true self clearly in a new thread -- yet you twisted this around to say she was advertising with that thread)!?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

I have apologized, and I meant it. 

Pearlie girl, NEVER apologize. They don't want an apology from you. They want to censor and erase you. Proof? You ALREADY apologized and THEY don't care. They're still running their mouths.

Dig DITCHES! And bury them clowns. Just a lil advice from Uncle Jump!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Words are enormously powerful things; they have consequences. This is especially true in an online or virtual context, where language, often stripped of nuance and context, is the primary means by which we engage with each other. And it is so easy to hurt people with it, even inadvertently. Hurtful language here can have the impact of a punch in the gut.  I've experienced such pain, and, on occasion, I've made a mistake, and inflicted it on others. When I have, I hope I have apologized.

Pearl (@Bagnu), I am pretty sure you are a genuinely good person. I don't believe for a moment that you intended to cause hurt and pain in your language describing the disabled -- and yet it is objective fact, demonstrated here by the response of some you've hurt, that you did.

You've responded to that, however, not by providing a clear and uncomplicated apology, but by twisting and turning, and being defensive. I can understand why that is so, but surely you realize that it is only making things worse, and suggesting that you don't actually care about the hurt your words have caused?

And some of the defences of your words here frankly have the air of the white person patiently exhorting a black person not to get so "worked up" about racism. It's not helping. Avoiding hurtful language isn't about being "PC" -- it's about being a decent person.

If you are the person that I think you are, you will give this some thought, and you will return here to offer a genuine and heartfelt apology to those you've insulted and hurt.

No one will think the worse of you for that. On the contrary, it will confirm for me and others that you are someone who cares about others.

If people are hurt oh so badly by WORDS; then, people are too squishy nowadays. A whole lot of people pay for cyber sex for a whole lotta different reasons. We can't mention some folks that are doing it out of fear of OFFENDING someone? If Pearl was truly offensive, snitch her out to the people. the Lindens at the Lab would LAUGH at you. Hehehehehehehe just like I DID.

Ya'll need to go ahead on with this fake "I'm offended" crap. LOL  If you don't like what she posts. USE THE TOOLS.  Ignore her. If ya think what she's doing in the forums is bad, I'ma bring her round the house and ENCOURAGE her to do WORSE!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jumpman Lane said:

If people are hurt oh so badly by WORDS; then, people are too squishy nowadays.

Well, you know, they say the pen is mightier than the sword. And some people are literally an order of magnitude more sensitive to certain situations than the average. Even if you're right, a sensitive approach can help get your message across rather than create stress and upset. Do it with love! 💌

Edited by Chroma Starlight
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And some of the defences of your words here frankly have the air of the white person patiently exhorting a black person not to get so "worked up" about racism.

This one lost me. Being a a part of the "invisible minority" makes me me understand  what prejudice is like. Not as well as someone who is is visibly different, but I can empathize.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

Well, you know, they say the pen is mightier than the sword.

I actually agree with you on that Chroma, always have. You gotta have a thick skin tho. Everybody is not your friend. Very few people play nice in the world. You gotta stand up to these people. You can't just cry "foul! I'm offended."

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

This one lost me. Being a a part of the "invisible minority" makes me me understand  what prejudice is like. Not as well as someone who is is visibly different, but I can empathize.

Perlie girl, don't follow her down that rabbit hole. Next, she'll be trying to convince you that you posting in the forums is like smothering puppies. hahahahahahaha

One word responses are best....like "sap"

Edited by Jumpman Lane
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jumpman Lane said:

If people are hurt oh so badly by WORDS; then, people are too squishy nowadays. A whole lot of people pay for cyber sex for a whole lotta different reasons. We can't mention some folks that are doing it out of fear of OFFENDING someone? If Pearl was truly offensive, snitch her out to the people. the Lindens at the Lab would LAUGH at you. Hehehehehehehe just like I DID.

Ya'll need to go ahead on with this fake "I'm offended" crap. LOL  If you don't like what she posts. USE THE TOOLS.  Ignore her. If ya think what she's doing in the forums is bad, I'ma bring her round the house and ENCOURAGE her to do WORSE!

I don't want to ignore, Bagnu, so don't lump us all together into one who participated in this thread.

First off, I thought someone was stringing her along with "oh my, you're so wonderful, my everything...my reason to live...make me feel human" crap.  

Second off, Pearl needs to understand that I'd venture to guess most disabled people have as good a chance as anyone at having a fulfilling sex life and many do.   So, however, she got the idea into her head that she is doing her profession to help disabled people is utter crap too, and offensive as it's not based on any truths.  I simply asked if she could stop saying it as she has no authentic interaction with anyone disabled.  If she could just leave the disabled out of it, I'd appreciate it.  

Why she just can't say she will...I don't understand that?  It's rumors and not from interactions she's had with disabled people.  She should use I statements and talk about herself.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I don't want to ignore, Bagnu, so don't lump us all together into one who participated in this thread.

First off, I thought someone was stringing her along with "oh my, you're so wonderful, my everything...my reason to live...make me feel human" crap.  

Second off, Pearl needs to understand that I'd venture to guess most disabled people have as good a chance as anyone at having a fulfilling sex life and many do.   So, however, she got the idea into her head that she is doing her profession to help disabled people is utter crap too, and offensive as it's not based on any truths.  I simply asked if she could stop saying it as she has no authentic interaction with anyone disabled.  If she could just leave the disabled out of it, I'd appreciate it.  

Why she just can't say she will...I don't understand that?  It's rumors and not from interactions she's had with disabled people.  She should use I statement and talk about herself.  

I call b.s. Look aint NOTHING wrong with ME and a "how ever ya wanna call it" person aint ran through the certified thoroughbred dime-pieces Jumpy KNOWN for clippin" SL and RL. Which brings us BACK on topic. The REAL you OUTS in Second Life. You can't hide who you really are. it outs.

If you a lil nerdy dweeb inrl its outs . That's what you are gonna be insl, no matter HOW cool you might think you are lol. It OUTS.

Ha ha ha ha

 

Edited by Jumpman Lane
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 85 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...