Morality is different in SL vs RL

Bagnu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1359 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There are many morality differences and ethical differences and  ideological differences and standards difference here in SL compared to RL. Some of them may be benign or beneficial but; some are very dangerous and harmful and are used as gateways to even more harmful or abusive or dangerous or destructive effects on the human psyche. Yet here they are normalized and validated and told to others it's ok because this is just virtual and not real.  That no harm can happen to anyone at all.  Which is a complete fallacy. 

• Like 3

There are pitfalls. The things you choose to do in SL, WHO you choose to be, particularly if you ARE that in a virtual world ALL day EVERYDAY can adversely affect your RL.

History Lession: There once was a dummy who logged in everyday and had cyber sex with his SL daughters. Yeah, he was rich, RL &SL...for a while. He thought it was cool, cause he WAS rich and they were consenting adults behind the avis. Well this dummy went on NATIONAL tv and gave a creepy lil interview. THEN, his world collapsed, got depressed, started using drugs, lost ALL his money. Sent ME, Jumpy some suicidal tweets on Twitter. Jumpy saved his life tho! Cause Jumpy a HERO! That fool ain't dead. Humbled maybe. His PRIDE died; but, he still breathing hehehehehehe

So, be careful what ya do in Second Life

Edited by Jumpman Lane
  • Like 2

I think any perceived differences in behaviour are due to lower inhibitions in sl so people may let themselves go a bit more.

Vanity in sl is interesting 'cause your avatar's not really you, so I wonder if you're really being vain by doing up your avi. Maybe in a way, but not completely? And in rl, whether it is negative or not depends on context. Like on insta it's seen as totally ok.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

Wait....what in the actual hell? Do you know what narcissism actually is? How on earth does narcissism in sl, which is more likely to be a projection of the exact same trait in a person in rl (whether the person actively, or regularly, expresses it in rl or not) and nearly always has negative connotation.....help with rl aesthetic? How do you even correlate the two? I really don't think narcissism is very helpful to anyone 99% of the time, be it rl or sl, and I think it often aids people in being more harmful as humans in general-regardless of the recipient of the expressed behavior(s). I certainly don't think sl narcissism helps a damn soul with aesthetic in sl or rl, it's quite often a precursor to negative things, certainly not positive in most instances (and I believe I am being very generous when I say most)

Not touching the other part of your post because I don't think every bloody post you make needs to surround sexuality, especially when you've been asked, more times than not, to knock that ***** off in this section of the forum.

(I'm also not sure how you define morality to be honest, as it may not fall in line with what I think many define it as, and that's not a bad thing, I'm not necessarily sure there really are social norms across the board for such....so I'm gonna veer off course for the rest of this post)

There are things people do, express, participate in, "feel" as it were, in sl, that can aid them in rl, which is where I thought you were going with the post, and am going to continue assuming you were going.

Social aspects of sl can aid people in rl a lot, actually. People who behave more introverted in rl, whether they truly would be defined as such (by themselves or anyone else) may find that a virtual environment like sl, helps them overcome those issues (if they indeed feel it is an issue). For others still, though, it may be the exact opposite. Learned skills, within sl, in general, are things that can, often, assist people with rl things.  Sl can be tremendously beneficial, tremendously damaging, and everything in between, all of it centers around humans regardless and what they deem to be right, wrong and indifferent. It's not often that all of those things match up across the board, though such things have been discussed here and prior incarnations of the fora, quite a lot, I doubt you'll find a whole lot of consensus on any particular tidbit, because humans, human nature and what people define as morals and ethics, will vary as greatly as humans themselves do.

I was never asked to "knock it off'  Some felt I was advertising, not because of any sexual content. I made it clear in my signature that's not what I'm here for. If you don't like my posts, then put me on your ignore list. I agree with most the other things you wrote. I did use the wrong wording though,. I did actually mean vanity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jumpman Lane said:

Ain't nothing wrong with SEX or ADVERTISING! Keep doing what you do. "THEY" don't run nothin' 'round here. "They" can just run TELL something 'round here hehehehehehe

LMAO!!!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, AdminGirl said:

I think any perceived differences in behaviour are due to lower inhibitions in sl so people may let themselves go a bit more.

Vanity in sl is interesting 'cause your avatar's not really you, so I wonder if you're really being vain by doing up your avi. Maybe in a way, but not completely? And in rl, whether it is negative or not depends on context. Like on insta it's seen as totally ok.

I was actually going deeper than that. Going to the roots of what is evil and what isn't. I feel evil is anything that would destroy us. That is slightly different in SL I find.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

I was actually going deeper than that. Going to the roots of what is evil and what isn't. I feel evil is anything that would destroy us. That is slightly different in SL I find.

Ohh in that case I think there's little difference. What's evil in rl is still evil in sl. Just that in sl, there are less ramifications when one acts on their evil impulses. And maybe certain evil or immoral things are not as condemned in sl 'cause they're not considered to be real in sl. And whether something is considered real or not has an impact on what we think can destroy us. Some believe things on sl aren't real so they then think that whatever happens on sl shouldn't be taken too seriously. But then you have others who believe that it's just as real so you can actually be just as hurt (or "destroyed") in sl because there is a real person behind every avatar.

Your posts are interesting. I think the "knock it off" was just referring to keeping sexual stuff (like that little part in your OP) out of the General section of the forums that's all.

Edited by AdminGirl
  • Thanks 1

I'm not relating to this topic or thread very well.  

In my first year in SL, probably near 15 years ago at least, I was a stripper in SL.  I did it to get over my shyness and to attempt to have a virtual experience of what is to some, female exploitation.  

I never felt exploited though as a stripper in SL.  We put on a great show way back then and had amazing costumes and we were a bit of comediennes, that is what kept it "fun".   I used to say we were the new "Desperate Housewives" show.  If we hadn't been funny, I don't think we would have done as well as we did.

I would never be a stripper in real life but I'm not sure it has anything to do with morality.  I think it has to do with shyness.

So, I'm just not relating to this thread too well.

Other than being a stripper a long time ago in SL, I am just me and for most of my SL have just "hung out".  

I don't get involved in cybering or relationships on the internet mostly because it is not the commitment I want to make.  If I make a commitment, it will be real life only.  

I love exploring the fantasy characters but it is not sexual and it is not even role play.  When I'm a Dinkie, we have a bit of "Dinkie" speak every now and then but it is not a requirement at all; we are just playing around making puns and acting goofy but I'm still "me".  

And, I've always been "vain".  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, AdminGirl said:

Ohh in that case I think there's little difference. What's evil in rl is still evil in sl. Just that in sl, there are less ramifications when one acts on their evil impulses. And maybe certain evil or immoral things are not as condemned i  sl 'cause they're not considered to be real in sl.

Your posts are interesting. I think the "knock it off" was just referring to keeping sexual stuff out of the General section of the forums that's all.

Thank you!!! This is a very complicated question, and it's very difficult for me to explain properly. An example would be myself. I help people live out their sexual fantasies here, (and make them feel human if they are RL disabled). In RL what I am would be considered immoral. In SL I feel that I'm morally doing the right thing!!!

Evil is always evil though, and I want nothing to do with that!!!

Edited by Bagnu
  • Confused 2

Whether something is moral or immoral is a matter of perspective.

The aforementioned 'no harming others and no harming oneself' for example is a rather broad and not entirely irrefutable moral. There are many things one might do to justify hurting them, and whether I choose to harm myself is none others' business.

As for whether things that are immoral in RL are moral in SL? No, not unless your morals are so vague and weak, that all you need to do to step away from them is to plant yourself in front of a keyboard. You can't physically hurt anyone in SL, role playing doing so is just acting and is no different from role playing hurting someone in RL. Deceiving people or stealing from them in SL is, out of a moral perspective, as right or wrong as you think it is doing so in RL; if you think that 'people on the Internet' are less human than your neighbors you're either an idiot or a psychopath. 

There's a difference though. Often, things that we consider immoral are also illegal, as law is usually built on the foundation of generally accepted morals. In SL, laws don't always apply as they would in RL, and also with it being a platform with international users and everything being scaled down to a currency that generally speaking wouldn't warrant a criminal investigation (no, Interpol aren't going to launch an international cybercrime investigation because of some Dutch guy putting an invisible prim in front of a vendor to trick you into paying them L$299 when you meant to click the vendor - heck I don't even know if LL would care too much; after all you willingly clicked 'pay' to the person whose name popped up when you did it). 

We're a rather interesting species like that. We're quick to declare what moral people we are, because we care about how others perceive us - we're socially vain by nature, after all; but we're also opportunistic. The OP hasn't made a new, enlightened philosophical discovery - she just yet again found a new way to advertise that she's promiscuous and sexually active on the grid. 

clapping_joker_batman_dark_knight.gif

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, Orwar said:

[ Blah Blah Blah, boring stuff]

- she just yet again found a new way to advertise that she's promiscuous and sexually active on the grid. 

[STOLEN PIC OF THE JOKER]

That part makes her a bit of an internet GENIUS!

What ya got against being promiscuous and sexually active on the grid? I'm promiscuous and sexually active on the grid. Jumpy all about The Get Down! READ MY PROFILE.

Jumpy is the god of WHAT? (Uh Oh, that MIGHT be advertising).  Then again my bona fides known grid-wide.

Edited by Jumpman Lane
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jumpman Lane said:

What ya got against being promiscuous and sexually active on the grid? I'm promiscuous and sexually active on the grid. Jumpy all about The Get Down! READ MY PROFILE.

Jumpy is the god of WHAT? (Uh Oh, that MIGHT be advertising).  Then again my bona fides known grid-wide.

264.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

This is a very complicated question, and it's very difficult for me to explain properly. An example would be myself. I help people live out their sexual fantasies here, (and make them feel human if they are RL disabled). In RL what I am would be considered immoral. In SL I feel that I'm morally doing the right thing!!!

The answer is easy. If you consider that you are morally doing the right thing then you should be confident enough to talk about it with your RL boyfriend/partner .

For example i had the bad habit in the past to date married women in RL and i also dated married women in SL In both cases a husband was tricked and of course that was immoral.

The point is that as humans on a daily basis we make choices and live by them, if those are moral/immoral doesn't really matter because we decide what matters.

4 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

put her in a Native American headdress. Nobody will bat an eyelid and you'll get heaps of faves.

I disagree. It's just as offensive in SL as it is in RL. It may not get mentioned to the person doing it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't offend.

Don't expect me to argue the point. I've been down that road more times than I care to remember. Just accept that it is offensive to many of those who know the meaning behind the headdress.

• Sad 1

I used to do a lot of swordfighting in SL. I had no problem destroying my opponents (if I could) and dancing on their prone bodies. I did not do sneak attacks though, as that was cheating, and hence morally wrong. 

(ok I lied, but I apologised when I did...) 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bagnu said:

I find some of the things that are negative in RL, are very positive in SL. And actually help us in RL. Narcissism for example. Here it helps us to improve our RL aesthetic skills. Being promiscuous and kinky here helps us understand out RL sexuality better. In RL it can be very dangerous.

The list can go on. Please everyone add more!!!

For myself, SL has pretty much stayed in it's place.. Nothing has really ever leaped out of it to impact my everyday life other than some conversations with other people..Well that and my husband complaining about the money I spend shopping in world.. But he does that in RL too anyways.. hehehehe

That and just the creativity that happens here.. It's pretty next level in a lot of places in this world..

The conversations I ever have are never on the level of RP.. It's most times always just me in chat talking to someone mostly from another country and me asking tons of questions because for me, meeting people from around the world has always been fascinating..Then them asking me a ton of questions as well..

That is probably my biggest take away from here, because it was the first place it happened..Meeting people from all around the world and learning from them and becoming friends with many of them..

A lot of myths get debunked, which is a good thing in my eyes.

As far as promiscuous and kinky.. Lets just say, there was the old younger me and then the, after I became committed to someone else me.. hehehe

There is still some kinky, just no more of the other.. There were some very very good times and some very very bad.. Enough to satisfy my curiosity..

Not to say I wasn't curious about a lot of the things in SL in the kinky part.. But that's because a lot of times I didn't even know what they were..hehehehe

I remember just searching one time just to see what was in here.. I came across one and had zero idea what it was about.. I think it was called Gore or Gor or something..

I just thought it meant like Gorean.. But it wasn't..

I teleported and looked around, then wandered into this kitchen and was like, What the hell went on in here? 0o

Then found out what went on in there..I was like, that curiosity is settled..

I don't really fantasize about the kinds of things that I wouldn't do.. Just the things that there is a slight chance I might..hehehehe

In SL I've probably fantasized more about the art and creating things than anything.. I just really enjoy the imaginations and how creative people can get in here..

Just looking at the map and then zooming in to where you can see the green dots and then zooming into a community..Then doing that over and over..

It grounds me a lot and helps make me see that there are many different reasons people come to this huge V-world..

Just taking a ride on the trails and roads of the mainlands is like taking a ride through a forest of imaginations..

Everything is created in this world by the users.. For me, when really looking at it in detail and then the big picture..It's a really wild place in many ways and many reasons people come here..

This is getting kind of long of a post and can feel myself drifting again.. A glass or two of wine and a quiet house with everyone else sleeping, that's gonna happen I guess..hehehe

I'm just gonna add this and I'll be done..

I know a lot of times when I post, I'm speaking just about myself.. I know it may come off as Ego or something like that.. I just really never feel comfy using words where I sound like I'm speaking for anyone else.. So I just try to give my own perspective and experiences to topics as honestly as I can remember them..

Life is shooting from the hip half the time anyways.. hehehe

Enjoy yours

Ceka ❤️

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3

I hope you can now understand precisely why narcissism (which we now know wasn't the wording you were going for) can be, and most often is, a very bad thing, regardless of the place within the world that one chooses to allow it to spread its wings and go forth majestically. Reality versus a virtual environment makes little to no difference, it nearly always ends the same way, with those majestic wings flopping about like a wee willy with no destination, a new found freedom from the looney bin, and a whole lot of drugs in its system. Sure, we might entertain the idea of watching it for a while, but eventually it not only grows tedious and annoying to watch, but may even prove to be harmful to those around it ;) 

That's my long winded way of saying a huge ego, which at its base core is the most polite way to describe narcissism, more often than not doesn't pan out like the one wielding it thinks it does. 

And for the wee willy wanker floppin about

ego.png.bbdc2f6064e05ab35a3f3377484b73e2.png

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I remember just searching one time just to see what was in here.. I came across one and had zero idea what it was about.. I think it was called Gore or Gor or something..

I just thought it meant like Gorean.. But it wasn't..

I teleported and looked around, then wandered into this kitchen and was like, What the hell went on in here? 0o

Then found out what went on in there..I was like, that curiosity is settled..

Sounds  more like  Vore or Dolcett. Basically cannibalism.  Where one avatar eats another either live or cooked and sometimes sex is involved or snuff aka murder aka bad ends or execution. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Sounds  more like  Vore or Dolcett. Basically cannibalism.  Where one avatar eats another either live or cooked and sometimes sex is involved or snuff aka murder aka bad ends or execution. 

That could be..I just remember not knowing what it was but thinking it had something to do with something else..hehehehe

• Like 1

Long ago, before I settled down with my beloved, I had a alt who's mission in life was to eliminate the male sex by hanging them after a 'good time'.  I'd never do that in RL, except to politicians - and for them no 'good time' either.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Bagnu said:

I help people live out their sexual fantasies here, (and make them feel human if they are RL disabled). 

I know someone once pointed out in another thread that saying this is extremely offensive, so I am just pointing it out again. 

You are implying that disabled people do not feel human, which is very untrue.  They may not always be able to do the same things as fully able people, or may not be able to interact the same (ie an absence of access to partners), but that does not make them any less human.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1359 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.