Starting a Makeover Business

JaclynFashion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This may sound obvious but make sure you aren't too aggressive with trying to sell the make over before being sure someone is all in. There's a huge amount of drama potential. If your social skills aren't 100% you run the risk of calling someone ugly and then expecting them to pay you to fix it after you've insulted them.  

You must have a clear notion in your mind that what you like and what a potential client likes could be vastly different to each other. In any creative field where you are working for clients, it's standard that your ideas won't line up exactly. The clients ideas almost  always get "right of way". If someone pays you to make them into a glittery punk rock drag queen and you hate punk, glitter, and drag queens and think they're ugly, you still have to deliver the product even if it's soul crushing. It's a business.

With that in mind, I'd say ask for a small down payment for any fee above 1k payable up front, so if it turns into a nightmare and the client walks away you still get something.

• 1 year later...
On 9/2/2020 at 3:29 PM, Tazzie Tuque said:

Sighs,  in truth  no one in SL actually gets fairly compensated for their "work" if you look at it that way.  It can take up to a full 40 hr work week to make one mesh clothing item and rig it and texture it, make a fat pack, made demos etc.  If these creators charged according to time spent working on something, none of us would be able to afford to buy it.  But they don't.    Just something to think about.

Thats NOT true. Someone can spend 40 hours to make that mesh item but theyre NOT selling it to ONE person, ONE time. Theyre selling it to millions. you make one good item one time and you will have millions of people buying that one item. you only spent 40 hours making it but there will be different people buying it every day, for years to come. Yes they might only charge L200 for a mesh hair, but think of how many people will buy that mesh hair, everyone who visits their shop, everyone who visits their marketplace, for years to come. Just think of the person who made the Maitreya mesh body. I dont know how many hours they spent making it, but the amount of money they have earned over the years from millions buying it, thats a lotttt of money they made for just some hours time.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Letty Magic said:

Thats NOT true. Someone can spend 40 hours to make that mesh item but theyre NOT selling it to ONE person, ONE time. Theyre selling it to millions. you make one good item one time and you will have millions of people buying that one item. you only spent 40 hours making it but there will be different people buying it every day, for years to come. Yes they might only charge L200 for a mesh hair, but think of how many people will buy that mesh hair, everyone who visits their shop, everyone who visits their marketplace, for years to come. Just think of the person who made the Maitreya mesh body. I dont know how many hours they spent making it, but the amount of money they have earned over the years from millions buying it, thats a lotttt of money they made for just some hours time.

Second Life has nowhere near 'millions' of active users. 9_9

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I found this topic by searching, "second life makeover services" in Google. 

I ran a successful makeover business, LICK, from 2016-2021. We charged L$10,000 for the services, plus avatar expenses — which averaged about L$10,000. We did over 200 paid makeovers, averaging about one per week.  That's about L$2,000,000 in profits. We did avatars for women, men, and kids. I took full payment upfront. The makeover would usually consist of 2-3 appointments, averaging about 1.5 hours each. 

If you're good at building avis and networking, there is absolutely good business in SL. 

A few pics of some of our work. https://www.flickr.com/photos/141294956@N02/with/52365468770/

Edited by Yes Mode
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I really don't fancy running this business... I've had experience of helping people into new avatars and it is painful, the Second Life UI is repellent for new users and trying to get everything set up as it should be can take hours.

Of course if you could log in to someone else's account this sort of business would seem a lot more viable but obviously that is against ToS and a bad idea all round.

Charging for makeovers seems nonsensical to me. Most vloggers and blogger are doing it daily for free. Charging for a *style card* is something shape makers usually do for free in their shape sales. Mentors , or anyone  hanging out at anywhere newbies get dumped will do it for free. I know because I was a mentor, I blog, I have notecards for new residents male and female . 

But that is just me and I'm sure many oldies.

• Like 2

A business such as this totally depends on the situation of the "client".  Most new avatars that I have met are here on the "free" account.  Most do not have the means to purchase Lindens required to pay a business to set up their avatar much less to pay for what they would need to purchase.  I have been in SL almost 18 years and have known very few who could afford such a service.  And for many, the challenge of making an acceptable avatar appearance is something they want to do themselves, learning the ropes as they go.  For them that is half the fun of SL.  Making friends who help them along the way is a plus as well.  I have helped many accomplish their goals and have done so willingly and without expectation of compensation,  sort of a "pay it forward" situation.  It is pretty amazing the number of folks who actually like to help for free.  But then again there are always those who few who can pay so I guess it works out for those in the "make over" business.  It is SL so anything is possible lol. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.