Why can't I login on Viewer 2, yet other viewers work?

Ariel Loxtonian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have been looking through, and trying resolutions to this problem for the last 2-3 hours. 

The old viewer, and phoenix log me in perfectly. Yet SL Viewer 2 gives me this error: 

Login Failed.

Despite our best efforts, something unexpected has gone wrong.

I am using a 10.5.8 iMac and Viewers 2.6.3 / 2.6.6 / 2.6.9 (All will not let me login)

I have cleared my cache, restarted my mac, flushed my DNS, uninstalled/reinstalled, retyped in my username/password, upgraded and downgraded viewers, changed my DNS to 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220, shut off my firewall, nothing seems to work! I hate all viewers except viewer 2, I am about to quit SL for good if I can't get it running. It worked perfectly fine 2 weeks ago, until tonight after it forced me to update. 

Please help?

4 answers to this question

This a know issue about Macs See this Jira:

There is a JIRA about this problem for Macs https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-25627

Here is a fix posted by Gio Solo that might help you:

I found a temporary solution for my Mac. Now I can use Second Life Viewer 2.6.3.

I found the solution here: http://neilrobinson.wordpress.com/2008/05/19/a-fix-for-dns-errors/

Basically I had to add the following additional DNS servers to my DNS settings in Network settings under System Preferences:

If that doesn`t work for  you, you can go back to the previous version of the viewer here http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Supported_Viewers make sure you also switch off automatic updates in your preferences or it will just update you again.

As valerie says, you may have more luck with an earlier viewer version. I am on OS X 1.6.7 and have no issues. I wonder if 1.5.8 is getting a bit old for viewer 2.

I'm wondering, though, when you uninstalled the viewer, did you also remove the ~/Library/Application support/Secondlife folder? Try to remove that folder, but don't throw it away because it contains all chat and IM logs among other things, as well as the ~/Library/Caches/Secondlife folder.

Come to think of it, there is also a setting file in ~/Library/Preferences for the viewer. You might as well delete that file too.

- Luc -

Just as a test, can you try logging in on a viewer that does work & setting your active group tag to NONE & then see if you can get in on V2.

Unles you have no tag on, in which case thats definately not gonna work :D

DUE TO SOME FORUM CHANGES, PLEASE USE "OPTIONS > EDIT" ON YOUR POST TO ADD FURTHER REPLIES

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.