Abandoning my linden home

PlayfulSmoke

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1361 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Easy solution. Remove your payment info and no renewal.

As I understand it from these forums (sure someone will correct me if that is wrong) that doing THAT puts you membership in jeapordy and after several attempts and a waiting period LL can cancel your account. So NOT a good plan  and one reason why some top creators have never been premium  -- a fear of losing their account if they weren't able to log in for awhile. 

If this is really a problem then contacting support seems like a very logical answer. And maybe that was suggested on whatever "other" thread this was on. 

4 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

As I understand it from these forums (sure someone will correct me if that is wrong) that doing THAT puts you membership in jeapordy and after several attempts and a waiting period LL can cancel your account. So NOT a good plan  and one reason why some top creators have never been premium  -- a fear of losing their account if they weren't able to log in for awhile. 

If this is really a problem then contacting support seems like a very logical answer. And maybe that was suggested on whatever "other" thread this was on. 

So you are saying LL is forcing people to keep payment info on file against the customers needs/wants? I don't think they can do that legally. That is personally identifying info and LL has no jurisdiction over it.

If what you say is true then to my knowledge, LL is the only company that does that.

6 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

So you are saying LL is forcing people to keep payment info on file against the customers needs/wants? I don't think they can do that legally. That is personally identifying info and LL has no jurisdiction over it.

If what you say is true then to my knowledge, LL is the only company that does that.

No one said that, the customer is free to remove payment info, LL are free to close their account.

6 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

you agree to recurring payment when you sign up, ónly manually downgrading is the legal way to stop it. Removing payment info is  refusing paying bills and can bring you in serious trouble. I never heared if LL does it, but in the normal world it's not unusual to put such people on blacklists for merchants and other deliveries

No, they are not "forcing" anyone to keep payment info on file.

If you are Premium, you agreed to let LL automatically charge your payment method to renew your membership.  The proper way to undo that is to 1) sell or abandon any Mainland you own, including a Linden Home, and remove any donations of tier to groups, then 2) downgrade your account to Basic.

If you don't care to follow the correct method, you can, as you suggested, remove your payment method.  LL will attempt to charge it when your renewal comes due, and the transaction will fail.  Your account will go into arrears.  After a while, LL will decide they cannot collect from you (you welsher!), write you off as a bad risk, and delete your account.

When you become Premium, you accept the responsibility to keep your payment method current and meet your obligations.  If you don't, there are consequences.

13 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

So you are saying LL is forcing people to keep payment info on file against the customers needs/wants?

Nope. They just want you to follow the correct process which is to downgrade your account to Basic and remove payment details on the SL website BEFORE you cancel the payment with your bank/card-provider.

Honestly should one be allowed to have an account if they are not able to understand how to manage basic aspects of it that have a financial impact?

Sometimes people get into a payment issue that is not of their own fault - technical issue, lost access, etc...

But here we would have a vividly clear cut example of just "I spent some money but have no idea what I am doing..."

- This is a textbook example of why LL has the policies it has that will ban an account if payment starts failing for things that are owed.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2

I am much more concerned that @PlayfulSmoke signed up for a Premium membership when they say they only access SL "on Android".  If true, that was a TERRIBLE decision.  There's no application for Android that would let them experience SL in the way that makes using it really worthwhile.

I suggest that the OP borrow someone's laptop or desktop computer, install a real Second Life viewer, and use it to log in and abandon their Linden Home.  Then downgrade to Basic, or leave SL until you have a computer that will let you use it correctly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

Nope. They just want you to follow the correct process which is to downgrade your account to Basic and remove payment details on the SL website BEFORE you cancel the payment with your bank/card-provider.

Yes I know. That's not the issue. The point is LL has no legal grounds to stop anyone from removing their payment info, at any time. It may even be illegal for LL to try to stop anyone from removing the info since it is personal identifiable information aka PII. 

Personal Identifiable Information (PII) is defined as:

Any representation of information that permits the identity of an individual to whom the information applies to be reasonably inferred by either direct or indirect means. Further, PII is defined as information: (i) that directly identifies an individual (e.g., name, address, social security number or other identifying number or code, telephone number, email address, etc.) or (ii) by which an agency intends to identify specific individuals in conjunction with other data elements, i.e., indirect identification. (These data elements may include a combination of gender, race, birth date, geographic indicator, and other descriptors). Additionally, information permitting the physical or online contacting of a specific individual is the same as personally identifiable information. This information can be maintained in either paper, electronic or other media.

https://www.dol.gov/general/ppii

image.thumb.png.81bf76cc0f5d0077aae8a3bf1accc0dc.png

https://www.archives.gov/cui/registry/category-detail/sensitive-personally-identifiable-info

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

They are not forcing you at all. You can put your payment info IN and then pay your premium or whatever and then take the info down. Lots of folks do this.   OR you can turn in lindens to USD and pay your premium or tier out of there and you don't need to keep any payment info in at all. You can't expect them to give you something (tier - membership etc) without having a way for you to pay for it. The must HAVE that info.     Oz said maybe a year ago when this came up that The Lab tries very hard and for a long time to make sure you know your account isn't up to date and in jeapordy.  

If you can't abandon your Linden home (having an issue seeing why this is a problem since you evidently got a Linden home and don't like it)  then as far as I can see you need to let someone OFFICIAL know. We are just residents can cannot do a thing about your payment info.  

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Yes I know. That's not the issue. The point is LL has no legal grounds to stop anyone from removing their payment info, at any time. It may even be illegal for LL to try to stop anyone from removing the info since it is personal identifiable information aka PII. 

https://www.dol.gov/general/ppii

https://www.archives.gov/cui/registry/category-detail/sensitive-personally-identifiable-info

Linden Lab makes no attempts to stop anyone removing payment details. Everything else you have posted is totally irrelevant.

You just have to read the instructions and do it in the right order.

20 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

No, they are not "forcing" anyone to keep payment info on file.

If you are Premium, you agreed to let LL automatically charge your payment method to renew your membership.  The proper way to undo that is to 1) sell or abandon any Mainland you own, including a Linden Home, and remove any donations of tier to groups, then 2) downgrade your account to Basic.

If you don't care to follow the correct method, you can, as you suggested, remove your payment method.  LL will attempt to charge it when your renewal comes due, and the transaction will fail.  Your account will go into arrears.  After a while, LL will decide they cannot collect from you (you welsher!), write you off as a bad risk, and delete your account.

When you become Premium, you accept the responsibility to keep your payment method current and meet your obligations.  If you don't, there are consequences.

If you do not make payments, what actually happens is Linden Labs with attempt payment a few times. They will lock your account after that, and if you want the account back you will have to pay the money you owe them, before they locked your account. You will not lose the account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

They are not forcing you at all. You can put your payment info IN and then pay your premium or whatever and then take the info down. Lots of folks do this.   OR you can turn in lindens to USD and pay your premium or tier out of there and you don't need to keep any payment info in at all. You can't expect them to give you something (tier - membership etc) without having a way for you to pay for it. The must HAVE that info.     Oz said maybe a year ago when this came up that The Lab tries very hard and for a long time to make sure you know your account isn't up to date and in jeapordy.  

If you can't abandon your Linden home (having an issue seeing why this is a problem since you evidently got a Linden home and don't like it)  then as far as I can see you need to let someone OFFICIAL know. We are just residents can cannot do a thing about your payment info.  

That is what I am saying here. Except I've never had a Linden home. Unless you were addressing that last paragraph to the OP and not me which is about as clear as mud.

22 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Linden Lab makes no attempts to stop anyone removing payment details. Everything else you have posted is totally irrelevant.

You just have to read the instructions and do it in the right order.

I'm sorry. You completely missed my point and I'm not going to argue about it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1361 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.