Cannot Take Off or Detach some items!

Vzlenscu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1362 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello again.    Newbie, first month still.       

I will have other questions once I straighten my current situation out -- I was having problems putting pants and a blazer on at the same time, and wound up turning on BOM and have a red head now.   But before I solve that I want to strip everything down to "zero" so I can reapply things from scratch.     (I have been trying all sorts of Alpha on, Alpha off, etc, and can't get my head back to where it was -- it has affected all my saved outfits).

I have four items that I cannot remove, no matter what I do.    I want to get them off to be sure I am applying layers in order, after doing more reading.

[Signature] Geralt Body-Shape
    [Signature] Geralt Default Skin TONE
    eDeLsToRe hair base "Blake"
    Greg-Eyes

Obviously I bought Geralt, and I also bought Geralt Head.     The hair I bought last night and I had some success getting it to work with some outfits I had.   I can choose a different Skin TONE but cannot remove it.   And the Greg-Eyes were from my starter avatar.

Why can't I take these off?

OK, but the hair base "Blake" was a new thing I bought yesterday.     How is this part of my base avatar?    Or do I have to establish some sort of hair or head base in any iteration of my avatar?

So I can't take off the Geralt shape or skin -- unless I go back to inventory and find my absoulte basic first shape and skin and subsitute?

Do I understand that the absolute baseline is shape, head/hair, skin, eyes  ??

24 minutes ago, Vzlenscu said:

So I can't take off the Geralt shape or skin -- unless I go back to inventory and find my absoulte basic first shape and skin and subsitute?

Do I understand that the absolute baseline is shape, head/hair, skin, eyes  ??

Yup. No matter what, your avatar must have:

• shape
  • skin
  • eyes
  • hair (It's not a "hair base" like mesh heads have -- it's a shape for your LL-hair. They all pretty much just scrunch up the LL-hair into your skull so it's never seen.)

The reason why BOM caused your mesh head to turn red was because you were wearing an alpha layer that totally covered your head. It's an intentional feature to let you know you're wearing alpha layers.

The reason why all of your outfits were affected is because you're using the same head (instead of a separate copy of the same head) in every outfit. If you want the red "skin" to go away, either don't wear an alpha layer for your head or use an applier to replace the BOM texture with your old skin texture.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

46 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

The reason why all of your outfits were affected is because you're using the same head (instead of a separate copy of the same head) in every outfit. 

Ooh, I think you said something I totally didn't know.    So when you build a new outfit you COPY an element to use in another way (like to make two different adjustments to your head?)   I see how I Copy using right-click, where do I past the new copy (or do I just copy it in place)?

I have stripped down to "New Shape," "New Skin," "New Hair" and the original avatar "Greg" Eyes.

So now I can start trying to build from that saved "start" position?    Is there a conflict in the Alphas in Signature Geralt between body and head?

OK, I made serious progress.   I just threw out the head and re-opened the original box, and got a clean version.   I built up carefully, watching what the Alphas did (and which ones cancelled which one out) until I got a stripped down version of Geralt.   I was able to dress him and put on the new hair.

Finally, I learned the diff between Wear and Add -- when I tried to wear the blazer and then wear the slacks they cancelled each other out, but if I Added both of them I was able to complete the ensemble.   Thank you!

• Like 1

Too bad I have been sleeping, or I could have cleared up the wear and add difference. My impression is that Linden Lab should not have both options. I am sure that all new ppl run into this, unless they have a friend to show them the ropes, get a mentor early, or come to the forum to ask... as you did. 👍

It was also smart to unpack a new head. I know why your head turned red, but waiting for someone to perhaps tell you in hours? It is often more easy to unpack a new head.

I have male alts that use a body from this seller, but not the head. But the red bodyparts is an universal issue.

BoM (Bakes on Mesh) uses system layers that is projected to the mesh body parts while the applier system (the one you use) applies the texture( skin, tattoos, hairbases etc.) on a thin layer on top of the mesh.

If you accidentally clicked on "Bakes on mesh" in the HUD, while using the alpha layer for the applier system, your head turns red. To come back to the applier system, find the skin applier and apply the skin again. If you did this and it did not work, perhaps you had already detached the mesh head.

Unless you want to use BoM, you only need to know why this happened in the future, so you can correct it.

A tip is to read Skell Dagger's tutorials. http://www.virtualbloke.com/tutorials

You have already changed to mesh head and body, so you are far ahead. But this is a very good place to read if you find out that you want to change to a new head or body. Or if you will start using BoM.

The last tutorial about scammers in Second Life, should all new to SL read.

18 hours ago, Vzlenscu said:

Ooh, I think you said something I totally didn't know.    So when you build a new outfit you COPY an element to use in another way (like to make two different adjustments to your head?)   I see how I Copy using right-click, where do I past the new copy (or do I just copy it in place)?

I have stripped down to "New Shape," "New Skin," "New Hair" and the original avatar "Greg" Eyes.

So now I can start trying to build from that saved "start" position?    Is there a conflict in the Alphas in Signature Geralt between body and head?

Marianne gave you good advice.

I think you will have gotten the idea that if it cannot be taken off then it has to be REPLACED.

Head and body copies... think about how you make outfits and decide how to make the copies and organize them. 

I have "starter outfits". I have a nude outfit that is a nude me. Skin, hair, nails, body, head... and it attaches the HUDs for body, head, and nails. This is where I start. I add some jewelry to the base nude now and then and from time to to time I change the hair in the nude outfit. But mostly the nude doesn't change.

Once I have the outfit together, including facial makeup, I take a copy of the head and save it in a folder named for the makeup, i.e., bright pink, dark red, gold, etc. I remove the head used in the nude outfit and wear the new copy of the head for that outfit. This is the head that then becomes part of a new outfit.

If I used appliers, I decide if I need to make a copy of the body or head to save for just that outfit. In which case I use that body copy rather than the body in the nude outfit. Or I may make the applier HUD part of the outfit and just use the nude outfit body.

I do reuse the heads. The dark red lipstick, blush, eyeshadow... it all may go with several outfits. Say it goes with 6 outfits then I have 1 head for all six rather than 6 similar heads.

After a time you'll find things update. My GA.EG head has had 3 or 4 updates. This is when organization becomes important.

There is a feature in inventory that will let you replace all the links to an item with links to another item. This is a huge time saver. The idea is when I want to update an outfit to use the new head, I make a new similar makeup set using the new head. Say the Gold makeup set. Once I have the new head I replace all the links to the previous GOLD makeup head. In some cases that is 15 to 25 outfits.

On 7/30/2020 at 11:28 PM, Vzlenscu said:

You don't really need to manually copy and paste your outfit components; when you "Save" an outfit, the system does that for you. It will create a sub-folder below the "Outfits" folder in your inventory and that sub-folder will contain links to all the items you've included in your outfit. You can, if you wish, delete and add things manually; if you want to add something to an outfit you've already created, you copy the item as normal, then go to the outfit sub-folder, right-click and "paste as link". However, doing it this way won't necessarily have them attaching in the correct order, so if order is important for the item you're adding, you'll be better off re-saving the outfit.

Alphas don't conflict with each other, you can wear multiple ones, even overlapping ones, without any problems.  However, you mentioned before that your head turned red; this means that you have Bakes on Mesh activated on your head. If you want to keep it that way, you should ensure that you are not wearing a head alpha. If your body is also BOM, you should not wear a body alpha either. But you are okay to use alphas that come with clothing, as these don't cover the whole body. If no alpha layer is included with a garment, you'll need to use your body hud to hide the parts that show through.

If you want to turn off Bakes on Mesh, just toggle the BOM switch on the hud and put the appropriate alpha back on. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1362 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.