trouble connecting to region

uklad91

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1330 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

hi there i am new to second life but i need some help on something when i log into second life afer a few mins or so it comes up with this region is having trouble connecting i really want to play this game and i know for a fact its not my internet connection can you tell me what i need to do or put in start location/region to stop this from happening any help will do   i have contacted support but no reply as of yet      thanks

3 answers to this question

13 minutes ago, uklad91 said:

i know for a fact its not my internet connection

I'm not sure how you have decided that it's not your Internet connection, but I wish I had a nickel for every resident who has said that.  In fact, there's a pretty good chance that it is your connection. Unlike online games that you may have played, most of the guts of SL are in Linden Lab servers, not in the viewer that you have downloaded and installed on your machine. In order to work, your viewer and the servers have to be in near perfect sync all the time.  They are trading information about the status of your avatar and the conditions in the world around you 45 times a second. If your connection loses more than a tiny fraction of the data that it's supposed to carry, or if it is delayed by much more than 200 msec, you will lose connection and be booted from SL.  Some of those problems can indeed be on Linden Lab's end of the connection, which is why it's good to try logging in at another location (like Pooley) to see whether your region is wonky. More often, though, the problem is your own router or modem, or a bad cable connection.  Or, if you use a wifi connection, local interference from nearby electrical equipment (even a fluorescent light).  Try rebooting both the router and the modem by unplugging them from the power for a minute or so.  Check all your cables.  Use a direct cable connection instead of wifi if you can.

Again, the upload or download speed of your connection is almost irrelevant, although that's what most people use to decide that their Internet connection is fine.  The real challenge is stability.  You can get away with major packet loss and long ping times if all you are doing is watching cat videos on YouTube, or watching the Mario brothers hop across your screen.  SL isn't as forgiving.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1330 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.