Genus Heads.

Bagnu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1299 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I remember reading another poster who said LL demanded he scanned his ID, took a picture of himself while holding up that ID so it is clearly visible. And that was only for age verification.

If this fake persona used a fake ID, that is a serious crime in any land I can think about.

Or did LL accept the DMCA without verified RL Identity?

I mean that what was demanded in the linked post should be mandatory in DMCA cases.

Congratulations to Genus. I hope the rumors about them working on a male head were true.

27 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

If this fake persona used a fake ID, that is a serious crime in any land I can think about.

Or did LL accept the DMCA without verified RL Identity?

I mean that what was demanded in the linked post should be mandatory in DMCA cases.

Congratulations to Genus. I hope the rumors about them working on a male head were true.

I was wondering the same thing, given Genus still has no idea who was behind the DMCA claim.  BRUH, how did LL let that happen?

• Like 4

7 hours ago, PermaRuthed said:

I was wondering the same thing, given Genus still has no idea who was behind the DMCA claim.  BRUH, how did LL let that happen?

From what I read on Genus creator’s FB page, it was very intricate: fake id, fake lawyer, fake address, fake....

You get the idea. Basically anything that could lead back to the perpetrator was fake. It’s crazy that someone could be that elaborate and devious in trying to ruin someone.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AdminGirl said:

The fact that this can happen makes it seem like there's a flaw in the DMCA process. What's to stop it from happening again?

The information from Genus does not mention that an ID card was shown to LL.

LL must demand a RL identity card to accept a DMCA - and check internet to control that so-and so lawyer exists, phone number exists... It is way too easy with some fake papers and a Photoshop job, if that is really all it takes.

I don't know the laws over in all the different states, but would not some states prosecute fake ID as a felony offense?

Edited by Marianne Little

8 hours ago, SassySam87 said:

Can't wait for updates! 

I'm so glad they were able to resolve this. I was starting to fear they'd never come back.

if anyone's good with internet sleuthing, this seems to be the page of the dude who filed the fake DMCA.

That's only the page of the stock photo site they got the picture from.

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

The information from Genus does not mention that an ID card was shown to LL.

LL must demand a RL identity card to accept a DMCA - and check internet to control that so-and so lawyer exists, phone number exists... It is way too easy with some fake papers and a Photoshop job, if that is really all it takes.

I don't know the laws over in all the different states, but would not some states prosecute fake ID as a felony offense?

My thoughts exactly. It doesn't make much sense that LL doesn't know who this person is.

• Like 1

Hmmm. 5 lawyers cannot manage to produce any valid information. Then Mr. Superman-Lawyer joins in to save the day... leaves me with a raised eyebrow, but well. Goes to show what a horrible nonsense this mockery of a legal act named DMCA truly is.

My personal feeling is that there'll be another round of this, though.

• Like 6

Well the store is open again and the Strong head freebie along with Demos for all the heads are in group notices.

From the discord it sounds like the shop is packed with customers. It will take alot of selling to make up for all the time lost because of this DMCA business. When it quietens down I think I will buy a head to play with and show a bit of support even though more than happy with my Lelutka.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 2

So glad to hear she won partially, and good thing she copyrighted her content.. but crazy how many lengths this person did just to take her down and end up failing.. and could lead to jail time too..hopefully this won't ever happen again to her or to any creator on SL.

• Like 1

I just could never get the look I wanted with genus and honestly?  Their HUD is a nightmare.  Finally switched to the new Evo lelutka but maybe I'll give genus another try.  Did they ever update to BOM. Without having to use an omega?

Edited by RowanMinx

Terrible to read about the emotional toll this took on the Genus owner over these months. So glad to hear this is over.

26 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

I just could never get the look I wanted with genus and honestly?  Their HUD is a nightmare.  Finally switched to the new Evo lelutka but maybe I'll give genus another try.  Did they ever update to BOM. Without having to use an omega?

Yes they did update to BOM and I find a lot of skins look really good. I am currently using a Genus head on my main (though like you I am not a fan of the HUD) and Lelutka Evo on my alt.

I got Genus at the Beta stage. Then it was just classic.  Beta adopters then got BF as a free add on.

I ended up with four more Genus heads for my alts, having tried most of the others.

Now one alt is new Lelutka, (Fleur) and BoM, and I really do like the look.

I can manage the Genus hud. It's ok. The neck seam is 100 times better than at the start, but not as good as Lelutka. I'm hoping BoM will improve this when I upgrade soon.

But I will always be a Genus fan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BelindaN said:

I got Genus at the Beta stage. Then it was just classic.  Beta adopters then got BF as a free add on.

I ended up with four more Genus heads for my alts, having tried most of the others.

Now one alt is new Lelutka, (Fleur) and BoM, and I really do like the look.

I can manage the Genus hud. It's ok. The neck seam is 100 times better than at the start, but not as good as Lelutka. I'm hoping BoM will improve this when I upgrade soon.

But I will always be a Genus fan.

I;m happy with my Lelutka, but would till like to try Genus sometime. It would have to a be a test alt for me though. I'm not taking risks with my head!!!

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

I;m happy with my Lelutka, but would till like to try Genus sometime. It would have to a be a test alt for me though. I'm not taking risks with my head!!!

Really, all you need to do is make a copy of all your basics in a separate folder and the whenever you want to work on a demo head, switch out.  I do that whenever I'm trying a new head or body.

Edited by RowanMinx
  • Thanks 1

https://gyazo.com/bf9c0eb35916f8642e7bd49e407ca848

There's a lot in this statement that doesn't pass the smell test for me.  I realise that English isn't their first language but all the same a lot of it just doesn't seem consistent.  It serves as a reminder that this is just a statement by one party to whatever-this-thing-is and that nothing that is presented here is actually proof of anything one way or another.  It is likely we will never know what is really going on.

I agree with @Lillith Hapmouche in that I wouldn't be surprised if there were more of this to play out.

I haven't read this thread --- but  :D

IF someone files a DMCA infringement they really SHOULD be ready to carry through with that and go the whole real life court thing.  Over and over again we have seen fictitious attacks that went nowhere.  IT IS INDEED A FAULTY SYSTEM. 

Long ago and far away the items in question were completely removed from the grid with plywood boxes as placeholders in people's inventory. I had a few of those. THEN sometimes months later the person accused -- cleared of the charges -- got their items back in UNUSABLE FORM.   This happened with a prominent skin maker when I was like one or two years old.  So not only did they lose a ton of money in sales, if they wanted to sell the items again, they had to upload everything all over  from the original files.  A punishment not deserved. 

There are plenty of very nasty people out there.   A couple of decades ago and in the real world (way before SL) I had a ton of hate mail delivered from various folks. It isn't a good place to be at the top of the mountain. There are always folks that are jealous and want to push you off.  We may never know the whole story but if the accuser isn't willing to put there energy and money where their claim is directed, then I personally will give it no credence. 

• Like 5

I will not use the words "Linden Lab", but I will say that the Internet Provider/Web host is supporting DMCA fraud if they do not ask for ID of the DMCA. The system is rigged so the abuser wins. Always.

After reading about DMCA, I was not able to find any place stating that the accuser has to prove his identity. All I could find was "A physical or electronic signature." Nothing about confirming that it is not false.

In the cases of Genus vs. Abusive DMCA claims, I will go further.

The service provider has to put up the work again 10 business days after the original notifier got the counter-notification. This is where I look at the calendar and see.... it had to be closer to months than weeks. Even if we accept that a grunt at LL could not reinstate the material, and someone higher was not present due to one or another reason, is is too far away from 10 business days that it can be excused.

I believe the 10 business days is the only thing that protects against fraud. The Abuser will not get maximum damage done if a business is closed a short time. When the 10 day rule is overlooked, only an abuser benefits from this sloppiness.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1299 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.