Would a Second Life parliament work?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1362 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

To do what? Make rules? Who enforces them and how do they enforce them? Why would we even need such a thing?

Make rules I guess. You're right about no one to enforce them, though as well as why we need such a thing.

I guess this was another half-baked idea by yours truly....

3 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Make rules I guess. You're right about no one to enforce them, though as well as why we need such a thing.

I guess this was another half-baked idea by yours truly....

Actually a role play legislative body might be interesting. I once participated in a mock United Nations where people debated various issues, something like that might be interesting, though it should be open to anyone who wants to debate, and not determined by people getting votes,

• Like 1

Work for WHAT? Either ya got the power or you don't. An elected parliament wouldn't have the power to do anything. Besides we have the Feted Inner Core. They run Second Life, elected or not.

They SEIZED powah. Or had it TRUST upon them, or maybe they just knew the right people. Either way The FIC runs it!

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Jumpman Lane said:

Work for WHAT? Either ya got the power or you don't. An elected parliament wouldn't have the power to do anything. Besides we have the Feted Inner Core. They run Second Life, elected or not.

Dunno about you, but I wouldn't trust my Fetid Inner Child to run much.  Probably not yours either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, animats said:

A city council, though...

There's the Confederation of Democratic Simulators. This is a small continent run by elected representatives of the landowners. It sets the covenants for its regions, and keeps the regions in-theme. Puts up public buildings. It's like a homeowner's association. 6 sims, 62 landowners.  Go visit.

Even that would not work on a grid wide basis or large scale. there are too many ego's involved that not everyone would agree with what was decided and would go off on their own direction as soon as something was purposed they didnt like or agree too.

Such groups like that only work on a small basis, where everyone is in agreement and wants a common theme or style to the sims. Something that would never work for general use or the majority of all other sim groups and owners.

democracy in a vr environment that is controlled by completely random people with varied egos and motives and desires is a social experiment just waiting to fail.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Bree Giffen said:

Yes, I think a legislative group within SL would work well. We should give them an autonomous zone to practice their lawmaking powers. 

who would enforce it and how, no one.. not even in that region or zone. it would take paid for individuals that would have to be on at all times on all regions in the zone making sure no one broke the rules or was ejected from the area if they did.

really it doesn't work, the only reason it works in the above mentioned area its a small group of sims.. 6 sims is pretty small number. 62 landowners is very small number compared to the thousands across the rest of the grid.

there would be a lot more griefing when any one tried to enforce a set look or theme or dress code or avatar allowed in the zone.

and then

I re-read what you say and its already being done. and proves how bad it works.. with sim owners who have their own god-like powers over the sims they rent. where they can create any stupid rules they want and enforce them how ever they want and its all their choice and people just have to accept it without any say at all besides not ever going back there.

group owners that are just as bad as the sim owners, so many egos, so much vanity, so much obsession with the power they have and how they can use and abuse it at will when ever or how ever they want.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Yes, I think a legislative group within SL would work well. We should give them an autonomous zone to practice their lawmaking powers. 

Agreed.   I further suggest that the ancient Corn Field be the autonomous zone on which they do so.

Edited by Desiree Moonwinder
  • Haha 3

Not to be rude but if you mean a parliament the English or American way, please, no!!!

Parliamentarism only works if there are enough checks and balances the decision makers are held continuosly accountable for their decisions and I can't see how it would be possible to implement such checks and balances for an SL parliament.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:
4 hours ago, Jumpman Lane said:

Dunno about you, but I wouldn't trust my Fetid Inner Child to run much.  Probably not yours either.

OMG, SL run by Jumpy's Fetid Inner Child.  Now that would be a riot - scary as hell, but still a riot

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

I re-read what you say and its already being done. and proves how bad it works.. with sim owners who have their own god-like powers over the sims they rent. where they can create any stupid rules they want and enforce them how ever they want and its all their choice and people just have to accept it without any say at all besides not ever going back there.

group owners that are just as bad as the sim owners, so many egos, so much vanity, so much obsession with the power they have and how they can use and abuse it at will when ever or how ever they want.

You are right. We need to give the land and power to the people! Set everyone to be the owners of every region and split all the lindens equally to every resident. People will rule themselves fairly by their own natural human goodness. 

• Haha 3

as a thought exercise then how it might work is to think of Second Life as a nation

a nation with a feudal parliamentary monarchy where there is a Monarch, a upper House of Lords and a Lower House of Commons.  In this model the Monarch is the CEO who rules on the sufferance of the House of Lords (the Board and shareholders). And there is a House of Commons (the resident elected representative body) who have no say in the appointment of the Monarch or in the issuing of Warrants (staff appointments) which is the sole preserve of the Monarch

in addition, the House of Lords thru the Monarch retains to itself all matters of the Treasury. Taxation (fees) and Budget (expenditure and resource allocation). And also retains to itself its Treaty obligations with other monarchies and republics. I.e. the US government, the State of California, and other world governments where Second Life as a nation has treaty/legal obligations to them

the House of Commons would in practice be restricted to considerations of Community Standards within the Second Life nation.  And being a monarchy any resolution of the House of Commons would, as is the  practice of feudal parliamentary monarchies, be subject to the Assent of the Monarch. Assent power given by the House of Lords

there would be no elected Ministers of the Crown, or an elected Prime Minister. The House of Commons may elect a Leader of the House but the Leader has no constitutional power to enforce the will of the House of Commons. They have to negotiate with the Monarch and gain Assent for the will of the Commons to be realised

the Monarch would appoint the Ministers of the Crown (Oz, Grumpity, Patch, etc). An appointment process similar to the US Cabinet process. Crown Ministers who execute their duties in the service of the nation according to the conditions of their Warrant. A Crown Minister would be the Minister of Justice for example. Who would employ Police Officers (Linden Governance staff) to enforce the laws (ToS) of the nation

when work all this thru then the Second Life nation would be pretty similar to feudal England in about the reign of Henry VI circa 1450AD

a Community Standards Bill for the Second Life House of Commons to consider.  Bill resolution: "That all mainland regions, other than those excepted by the Monarch for historical freedom purposes, are henceforth to have the same covenant as the Bellissaria estate."

this parliamentary debate would be pretty interesting, and if the House of Commons were to pass it then the Monarch would I think be inclined to Assent, and instruct the Crown Ministers to make it so. Basically a forced march of some residents wanting to retain their historical freedom, to the excepted regions 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Prok said i was FIC one year. I FELT like I was runnin' thangs THAT year...I wasn't elected but I was CORONATED  and stuff. Made a KANG...by my own hand!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

OMG, SL run by Jumpy's Fetid Inner Child.  Now that would be a riot - scary as hell, but still a riot

My Fetid Inner Child was a HERO (for a day). Hehehehehehehe fetid as my inna chil' was. Jumpy got thangs done!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1362 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.