Dreaming about SL

Bagnu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I haven't had a dream in which I was my avatar but I did have a dream about meeting a SL friend in RL, and he was his avatar, but we were in a RL place. The funny thing was, this particular friend is a furry in SL, and neither I nor anyone else thought it strange that there was this real furry (not a human in a fursuit) in a RL place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I do some of my best scripting in my sleep.  If I go to bed with an unresolved LSL issue, it always seems to clear up by breakfast.  It's a little scary, actually.

I've run into that working with issues in other programs. It's not a dream though. It just happens. That's the way our minds work, and it's very normal.

• Like 1

11 yrs ago, I used to dream about SL all the time. Back then, even when awake I'd actually think "I need to tp to the grocery store to buy some milk" .. I would dream about making SL clothes on my RL sewing machine.. fun time, oh yes.. fun times 🤪. I haven't had a crazy SL dream for yrs.

• Haha 1

I had SL dreams more frequently in my earlier days of SL, but they are still quite common.

They never seem to have any direct relationship to what I have been doing in SL, or what I might have been planning to do in SL. It's always something completely different.

Edited by Odaks

I had another dream about SL last night!

The Lindens had organized a 'cowpat-throwing' fight with residents in Sandbox Goguen. But then Ebbe ran in, distressed, and announced that the new investors had logged in and that everyone had to pretend to be building, and not to swear. The investors walked around the sandbox, prodding objects and giving each other WTF? looks, while Ebbe explained that they were witnessing a professional building class for very important CEOs. 

Unfortunately, at that very moment, SL Donald Trump entered the sandbox with his neko ninja bodyguards and started yelling into a megaphone about how SL restaurants were funded by the WHO, and that everyone should only eat at his inworld KFC outlets. When the investors asked what the hell was going on, SL Trump told them to drink some Dettol.

Then there was a massive explosion: SL Trump's arch-enemy, SL Jenna Jameson, had stormed the sandbox with her legion of scantily dressed pole dancers on winged white horses, and was shooting exploding Zooby babies at Trump. One of the investors pulled out his mobile, to call his bank - and then I woke up. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

It is a learned skill and not easy for everyone to do or learn to do.  Lucid dreaming does take practice to learn how to do on command.  Just  because you might find it easy doesn't mean everyone will and will not need to learn how or practice it. 

It's really not that complicated, involved, or some special skill one must spend dedicated time to perfecting. Like I said, it's really not that complicated. It only seems so because someone, somewhere, at some point, told you it was so, and you've deemed it so. Most people do it far more frequently than they realize. Not all lucid dreaming can be later recalled, either (most actually can't, not on command anyway), much like most human thought cannot always be later recalled, on command or otherwise, because we simply haven't the capacity to always multitask our grey matter in a manner we so wish (and those who claim otherwise are probably using even less of their grey matter than I do when I space cadet).

That said, if it makes some people feel special or as if they've honed in on some special skill because they can remember manipulating their own dreams to their own will, and want to believe that it's a skill they have both learned and perfected...I won't tell them to their face they shouldn't feel special for it, or be proud of it :)   I'm still damn proud of my 13 prim bench, my first ever creation in sl...and it, plus the skill required to create it, most definitely nothing to be super proud of in the eyes of most. :) 

I've had dreams about being in SL- like environments but that's about all.  Strangely, I can remember having occasional dreams about being able to fly, long before SL existed.  That's not unusual, lots of people dream they can fly.  Indeed dreams could have been the inspiration for giving avatars the ability to fly in SL.  What is uncanny though is that in my pre-SL flying dreams, I do remember that I was in a pose similar to the SL one, with arms outstretched like wings, just gliding effortlessly.

On 7/30/2020 at 3:24 AM, Rolig Loon said:

I do some of my best scripting in my sleep.  If I go to bed with an unresolved LSL issue, it always seems to clear up by breakfast.  It's a little scary, actually.

I turned that into a strategy, both for scripting and designing/reconstructing a complex shape in Blender. If a problem seems hard or insurmountable, I tell myself: let's sleep on it for a night. And sometimes just very shortly before I fall asleep, but most often afterwards, surprisingly simple and elegant solutions pop up in my head. Don't be scared about it. I think it's the power of REM sleep and dreaming to get your thoughts rearranged to clear your head.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Don't be scared about it. I think it's the power of REM sleep and dreaming to get your thoughts rearranged to clear your head.

I probably should have said "spooky" instead of "scary."  I've known for a long time that a puzzle that looks nasty and unsolvable before bedtime often looks like child's play in the morning. A little sleep helps to reset the synapses and clear random distracting thoughts away.  It still surprises me, though, when I can wake up with a radically different approach to a scripting challenge. It's not about just clearing dust off the path that I was following the night before.  It's seeing a new path.  If I were writing a novel, I would say that my muse has visited me at night.  Scripters don't have a muse, I think, but those unexpected AHA ideas to come from somewhere. Spooky.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I probably should have said "spooky" instead of "scary."  I've known for a long time that a puzzle that looks nasty and unsolvable before bedtime often looks like child's play in the morning. A little sleep helps to reset the synapses and clear random distracting thoughts away.  It still surprises me, though, when I can wake up with a radically different approach to a scripting challenge. It's not about just clearing dust off the path that I was following the night before.  It's seeing a new path.  If I were writing a novel, I would say that my muse has visited me at night.  Scripters don't have a muse, I think, but those unexpected AHA ideas to come from somewhere. Spooky.

I often wake in the morning with solutions to the previous day's problems. I also wake in the night with "brilliant ideas" bursting out of my brain. I'd forget them by morning, so many years ago I placed a notebook and pencil on my nightstand. I gave that up quickly when, by dawn's early light, I discovered that the few notes I could actually read were utter nonsense. A couple years ago, I got the daytime brilliant idea to record my nocturnal mental emissions on my iPhone. I gave that up even faster.

Spooky indeed.

• Haha 3

On 7/28/2020 at 6:12 PM, Bagnu said:

Has anyone ever dreamed they actually were their AV, and inworld was reality???

Yes. Hopefully never again. It was one of the worst nightmares I've ever had, yet not a drop of blood was spilled. 

That was about 15 years ago. I had forgotten about it until this thread. 🥺

• Haha 1

On 7/29/2020 at 2:12 AM, Bagnu said:

Has anyone ever dreamed they actually were their AV, and inworld was reality??? I did the other night. I was in bed thinking about adjusting my AV, and then I drifted off to sleep slowly. I was dreaming as my AV, and thought I was actually her. I was just chatting with my gf's, but it felt all fully real!!! It must have been only for about 15 mins then I woke up and had a good chuckle.Talk about living a fantasy lol. It's a lot of fun to think about now!!! In the dream it was all just normal!!!

Quite a few times I have dreamt about Second Life, and always I can smell what I smell whenever I am wandering around sims aimlessly; plywood and grass.  The best dream I had, the nearest to being my avatar, happened when I must have been spending far too much time logged in with my then partner, who was off work in real life for a couple of weeks, so we had a really fantastic time of playing house.  He'd built a workshop next to the house I was decorating, and we were both adding bits and pieces to it. In my dream, I'd placed a "No girls allowed" sign on the wall next to the doorway of it, and when I woke up, I made one.  

Edited by Marigold Devin
It's a sign. I missed the sign.
  • Like 2

I've only ever dreamed about SL once. I can't say with certainty I was my avatar. I couldn't see myself and, as with many dreams, this one had a very nebulous quality. In it, I was me and she was her, or as close an approximation as my mind could make with everything she's described, so she wasn't her avatar, or perhaps she was a blend of her avatar and what she's told me.
   The dream had romantic overtones and some nice things had apparently happened, but not anything I could remember, not anything that was explicitly part of the dream. It was as if the setting had been described by some unseen, unheard narrator, and the tale began with the two of us on a picnic blanket. As far as in-world or not, I think it was just a peculiar blend of the two. The fact that we had chosen to place the blanket on the incline of a hillside might be telling.

We sat there together, quite close to one another. I looked up at her suddenly, feeling very surprised. "Hey, how did you how to find me? I never told you my address."

She just looked at me with a sort of gleeful, nefarious benevolence.

There was more after that, but the strange specificity of it goes beyond the scope of this post.

• Like 2

I have frequently dreamed solutions to design problems in SL. I only wish I could force my helpful problem solver of the night, but alas it just happens spontaneously and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to make it happen.

40 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I have frequently dreamed solutions to design problems in SL. I only wish I could force my helpful problem solver of the night, but alas it just happens spontaneously and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to make it happen.

That's the way our minds work. I can't force it either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BelindaN said:

I would love to experience an SL dream but so far, nothing.

Try thinking about what you were doing in SL, and how it could continue when you start drifting to sleep. Just nothing erotic, because that will bring you back to RL!!!

30 minutes ago, Bagnu said:
1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

That's the way our minds work. I can't force it either.

Thinking about this more, it seems my unconscious mind kicked in and gave me the answer when I was struggling to a great degree with the project, at my wits end, frustratingly stumped. So it seems my strong desire to find a solution reached my unconscious mind...I had strong intention....finding the solution felt very important. 

Perhaps another factor was that I was using my conscious mind too much in the process as well....I mean you can't paint a picture or do much of anything creative only with the conscious mind, not a good one anyway.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Thinking about this more, it seems my unconscious mind kicked it and gave me the answer when I was struggling to a great degree with the project, at my wits end, frustratingly stumped. So it seems my strong desire to find a solution reached my unconscious mind...I had strong intention....finding the solution felt very important. 

Perhaps another factor was that I was using my conscious mind too much in the process as well....I mean you can't paint a picture only with the conscious mind, not a good one anyway.

Exactly!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.