Backtracking from question re AO

Elspethian Kalinakov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1336 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Even a skim of what people are saying has made me realize that I need to backtrack to something more basic: there are new skins, or avatars, since the last time I played with are far better. A friend gave me one but something went wrong and while she has body and hands no arms. I'm willing to pay for a good one, an actual person,  but when I search Marketplace all I can find are Playboy Bunnies. Fun, but not something to walk around it. Of course once I have an avatar I'll be back bothering people about how to make her legs longer and such since I know I did that once. Is there someplace reliable?

(Come to think of it: is anyone willing to mentor a newbie so folks don't have to keep dealing with me and I don't have to keep trying to understand the threads? I'm fairly intelligent, listen carefully, ask questions when I don't understand things, etc. And yes, we can work on times such that I'll be online when you are.)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Elspethian Kalinakov said:

there are new skins, or avatars,

Mesh bodies and other mesh body parts (most popular: heads). Not skins or complete avatars.

So your friend gave you a mesh body and you struggle with it? What brand is it from? Did you read the notecard it came with? If you got no hand or arms, it sounds like you have some parts of the body invisible, which can be done and undone with the HUD that came with the body. 

• Like 1

I have a problem using other viewers than Firestorm. I have used it so much that I feel restricted when I use the official viewer, and I try to not use the official viewer at all. Linden Lab's Open Development director Scott "Oz Linden" Lawrence has said it himself, the official viewer is not the most used. Total number of minutes spent in SL is on another viewer than the official.

When mentors talk with you, it is very possible that they use Firestorm, and talk about features the official viewer does not have. This will make you frustrated and believe you do not understand, while the problem is not with you. A few users have very negative opinions about Firestorm, but it is still the most popular.

I can not say you must install Firestorm, I just mention it.

The same is for mesh bodies. You will hear strong opinions about them, but the numbers is clear there too.  Link to a new survey: https://www.seraphimsl.com/2020/06/13/mesh-body-survey-female-body-results/

For a newbie, the most popular body is a safe buy because you will find content made for it "everywhere". It also has more freebies and cheap content made for it. A popular body has support groups where you often get help on the minute you ask, plus it is made videos about it.

You will find the demo on Maitreya Isle, not on the Marketplace.

This is always the new and updated version. Here are a newish video about it. You can pause the video and compare what she is wearing with your body demo. We are on version 5.2 now, but it is much the same. Always get the DEMO FIRST to make sure you can and will spend money on the full priced one. The demo works the same as the full priced one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OD_ytpVfvw

The mesh bodies was hiding your whole body with an alpha layer, and used onion layers for tattoos and tight clothes. Maitreya has made these layers optional, so you have to add them. They are called layers for appliers. If you have not bought appliers, I would follow the introduction and when she start to talk about layers, skip to 9:00 to see BoM or bakes on mesh. This is basically show your layers again, they are baked on the mesh body. Take off the alpha for the whole body, and use system layers again. You will be familiar with the use of system layers, and the BoM becomes more and more popular.

Edited by Marianne Little
added a few more words, trying to explain better
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Elspethian Kalinakov said:

Even a skim of what people are saying has made me realize that I need to backtrack to something more basic: there are new skins, or avatars, since the last time I played with are far better. A friend gave me one but something went wrong and while she has body and hands no arms. I'm willing to pay for a good one, an actual person,  but when I search Marketplace all I can find are Playboy Bunnies. Fun, but not something to walk around it. Of course once I have an avatar I'll be back bothering people about how to make her legs longer and such since I know I did that once. Is there someplace reliable?

(Come to think of it: is anyone willing to mentor a newbie so folks don't have to keep dealing with me and I don't have to keep trying to understand the threads? I'm fairly intelligent, listen carefully, ask questions when I don't understand things, etc. And yes, we can work on times such that I'll be online when you are.)

The "complete avatar" packages in the Marketplace are generally poor quality and often old, and most people do not use them.  It's much more common to buy the parts separately; a mesh body, a mesh head, a skin for both, a shape, etc. If the body you buy is a popular one, you will be able to wear most of the clothing that is available. 

"Invisible arms" means one of two things depending on the type of avatar you have. Either you are wearing an "alpha layer" on the upper body, which you can take off via your inventory (Look at the "Worn items" tab). Or, if you have a mesh body with a hud to control invisibility, the arms have been hidden using the hud, so you can click on them in the hud again to un-hide them.  Both of these techniques are used to prevent parts of the body showing through when wearing mesh clothes.

Making your legs longer, even with a mesh body, is done exactly the same way you did last time you played; by editing your shape and adjusting the slider for leg length. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Elspethian Kalinakov said:

You could try going to London City and New Citizens Incorporated which is for newbies.  There are often some helpers there.  You can find these two places in your Destination Guide which is located to the left of your computer screen in the middle (on Firestorm viewer) and looks like a little tab.  You open that tab and then from the categories choose Newcomer Friendly.  

See the little tab to the left in the middle with the white part in the middle?  That's the tab you click on and it will open your Destination Guide and there you will find the category Newcomer Friendly.

Screenshot (111).png

Edited by FairreLilette

Since you are a returning user you don't have access to the Beginner's Training that new signups go through.

However, there are in-world training options to take you through the same basics. These are more the see-and-do-to-learn versus the more classroom like videos. There are about 50 locations for "new comers". An excellent training area is Caledon Oxbridge (SLURL or URL). Another is Firestorm's new user gateway named the Aerodrome (SLURL - URL).

These will get you the basics. Questions about the basics can annoy the people you're asking. These are the things people learn in the Basic Training. Exactly what is a basic question and/or an annoyance is poorly defined. Don't worry about it. Just ask your questions. Most are forgiving of the new and returning. And we put up with the old timers with no memory. 🤭

Firestorm has a support group that offers training classes in-world. Join the Firestorm Support group. (URL - SLURL)

Note: The SLURLs will try to open your viewer, provided your viewer is setup correctly. Otherwise, just paste them into the address bar in your viewer and press ENTER.

• Like 1

Nalatis, I'm sorry for bothering you with the basics, I didn't even know there was basic training. Meanwhile, though, someone here did offer to mentor me and we're doing fine. Meanwhile I really appreciate you offering some choices for 'beginning friendly"

The next problem I posted was about buying Lindons. It may have been a new thread, it may be one that mentioned VAT. I haven't found any help with that so I'll go looking again.

Thanks to all -

Kali

You are so in luck girl... http://blog.nalates.net/2016/07/29/misunderstanding-the-second-life-lindex/

SL has a currency exchange that works just like a RL exchange. They have simplified it for people not familiar with currency exchange (duh, Americans). So, you can buy and sell at whatever the Lab thinks is a good price or place buy or sell orders to get the best price. I buy all my L$ via buy orders.

The idea is Tilia should make financially connecting to SL and the exchange easier and available to more people while avoiding the use of it as a money laundering avenue. But Tilia doesn't change how the exchange works just how you get RL currency into and out of the system.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1336 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.