Particle Interaction with Mesh Objects

GManB

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1361 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am trying to make a gem sparkle using a particle system...

https://gyazo.com/b765ca0aca7314ac22ebcbbf435d8999

There are eight cubes in the middle of the gem and I spin up 9 particle systems (1 each for the gen and the eight cubes) of different colors and scale.

Is there a way to get the particles to interact with the inside of the gem? I'd really like to adjust the age of the particles to longer than now and have them bounce around inside the gem.

Any other suggestions to make this gem sparkle would be great to hear!

Thanks,

G

10 hours ago, GManB said:

Is there a way to get the particles to interact with the inside of the gem? I'd really like to adjust the age of the particles to longer than now and have them bounce around inside the gem.

Unfortunately no, particles do not have the ability to collide with and react to solid objects in the way you are describing. The closest I can think of is PSYS_PART_BOUNCE_MASK which makes falling particles bounce off of an invisible plane set to the height of the emitter's origin. The trouble is this plane is oriented to the region's z axis instead of the emitter's. So that won't help in this case.

As an aside, depending on your needs, you may be able to reduce the number of particle systems. A system with the explosion pattern and zero burst speed min/max would create multiple particles randomly placed within a spherical area. Combined with making the particles short lived and having their beginning scale something like <0.0, 0.1, 0.0> to an end scale of something like <0.1, 0.0, 0.0> would make a quick flash/sparkle that winks out nicely. Repeat for each unique color. In your gif, I counted four colors, so you could potentially get away with using that many to get a similar effect.

Edited by Fenix Eldritch
typo
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1361 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.