Yet a new issue --- can't stay logged in?

Rana Audion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4722 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I know I already posted about login issues, but this time it's different...and more confusing!

For the record: I use the latest Phoenix Viewer now, but when the problem started I had the older Phoenix. I use wireless broadband even though doing so makes my viewer says it's not going to work. Why? Because I have used wireless broadband with no problems whatsoever this whole time. Even with wireless, SL has been fast, detailed and bearable if sluggish sometimes. I have been on SL for about ten hours at a time or more, no issues.

The Problem: I brought my laptop and wireless broadband to another house. Now ever since I got here I cannot stay logged in. I can log in, but after about two minutes, before I can even rezz beyond the floating cloud, I get this: "You have been logged out of Second Life" and I am logged out. I have attempted to set a start location in various places to see if starting somewhere else would work. Didn't work. I have cleared catche. Didn't work. I have worked on my computer's registry errors, didn't work. I can't figure out how to change my browser's DNS because the instructions I found were for earlier Windows versions and I don't know where to find similar options. So that's not gonna work. I have rebaked, re-fixed my SL Viewer Preferences, gotten my avatar naked. Nada. I still keep getting logged out.

Sooo...

Is my problem that I'm trying to access at a different house? Is the problem that this house has a very weak signal? Do I have to wait till I get back to my house, origin point, to play SL? Or is this something fixable, and I can play SL no matter where I take my laptop? (i think I can because I managed to play SL while in town before, miles away from home) If it is fixable from where I am, what do I need to do to be able to play for more than two minutes before being logged out?

EDIT: It is EXACTLY like the problem some Phoenix users have had. I log in at 10, 10, 10 (with different names for the same location? o.o ) with a sea of blue and loading inventory and contacts and no landmarks. A very short time later I am logged out with that error message. Only with me, I have tried several different viewers. Viewer 2, Phoenix of course, and viewer 1, all of them log me out like this and if I try to log in at another location, it says I cannot start there and moves me to 10, 10 ,10.

5 answers to this question

Simple non technical answer is you have a weak connection at your new location. I travel with my laptop and sometimes I stay a cloud and sometimes I don't, but I know what can help. Lower your graphics settings. The less you demand of your computer, the better your inworld survivability will be. You are going to have to sacrifice visual quality for ability to stay inworld and functional. Don't have other programs running. Don't have the internet open, your browser that is. SL demands a lot from your system, which includes bandwidth. So ideally you want to be hard wired but sometimes we don't have that luxury. Hope this helps! Oh, I use V2 and a big deal is to make sure I've turned off antialiasing and any other graphics enhancing thingies.

edited for spelling

Charotte's answer is probably right in track.  Changing your original beginning point will always have some effect on how your Internet connection will behave.........or react, whatever.  By logging in using a different connection you are subjecting your connection to different parameters.  It may be slower, more prone to interferrance, or trying to connect using a weaker signal.  Wireless connections are inherentley prone to this problem which is one of the reasons LL won't support wireless connecions.  You can try lowering your graphics settings to temporarily side step the problem......but the main problem is that wireless connections to SL are just not adequate. 

Wait til you get home or connect using an Ethernet cable.

Even though this error can occur on any viewer, Phoenix are running the master JIRA for it and as you can see from the postings LL are working with them to find a solution http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/PHOE-2548

Register on that site and add your comments and logs, the more info they get the quicker they can find the cause and a fix..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4722 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.