Inventory once clothing is unpacked

Vzlenscu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am getting the hang of buying an object, unpacking it, and getting the clothing out and wearing it.    I'm trying to learn how to best manage the inventory once that is all done.     I am working with the Signature Geralt body, as it looked that there would be a lot lot clothing available for it that would fit without adjustments.

I bought a jacket that would work for Geralt and went to a sandbox to unpack and put it on.

1)   Do you keep the original box once it is unpacked?    Or not, I have set up an "Unpacked objects" folder in my Objects, but should I just delete the original packaging?

2)    The unpacked item contains jackets for 7 different bodies, including Geralt.    Is it OK to just delete the other six jackets that are only for other specific body designs?   

3)   I keep the HUD of course, to adjust the shirt.     But the other item in the folder appears to just be an advertisement/logo for the jacket and creator?   This can be safely deleted?

I also have a t-shirt that continually nags me with a message saying "Unfortunately, there is no auto hide registered for this item"     I noticed when I put the jacket on over the shirt, the shirt poked through in places, and I assume that is what auto-hide means.     Is the shirt telling me there is no way to hide it, so I will have to take it off if I want to put something else over it?    Is there a way to get an auto-hide "registered" for it?     If not, is there a way to turn off the nag message?

Thanks to all.  Only been in world for about a week, with a friend coaching me.  This is my first post.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vzlenscu said:

I am getting the hang of buying an object, unpacking it, and getting the clothing out and wearing it.    I'm trying to learn how to best manage the inventory once that is all done.     I am working with the Signature Geralt body, as it looked that there would be a lot lot clothing available for it that would fit without adjustments.

I bought a jacket that would work for Geralt and went to a sandbox to unpack and put it on.

1)   Do you keep the original box once it is unpacked?    Or not, I have set up an "Unpacked objects" folder in my Objects, but should I just delete the original packaging?

- If you bought it from the Marketplace, it is a "redeliver" option. If you bought it in a store in SL, most stores has a redeliver terminal. But if the creator leaves SL and closes his/hers marketplace store, you can never get a redelivery. I delete the box I have pulled out in a sandbox, because I have the original one in my inventory. I keep that one.

2)    The unpacked item contains jackets for 7 different bodies, including Geralt.    Is it OK to just delete the other six jackets that are only for other specific body designs?   

- Yes. If you buy another body, unpack the original box again.

3)   I keep the HUD of course, to adjust the shirt.     But the other item in the folder appears to just be an advertisement/logo for the jacket and creator?   This can be safely deleted?

- Yes you can delete them. I usually keep the image of the item because I have thousands, and if I forget how they look, it is faster to open and look at the image. All that's "unpacking" scripts, "thank you for shopping at my store", instructions I don't need because I know how a HUD works and landmarks are deleted. You "may" need a landmark if you like what you bought, it is faster to go back when you use the landmark, instead of a search for the store.

I also have a t-shirt that continually nags me with a message saying "Unfortunately, there is no auto hide registered for this item"     I noticed when I put the jacket on over the shirt, the shirt poked through in places, and I assume that is what auto-hide means.     Is the shirt telling me there is no way to hide it, so I will have to take it off if I want to put something else over it?    Is there a way to get an auto-hide "registered" for it?     If not, is there a way to turn off the nag message?

- What you describe with the shirt poking through the jacket, is a very common issue. "Auto hide" hides part of your avatar (Geralt) but it does not hide the shirt. I do not know if it is the shirt or Geralt body that comes with this message.

To use shirts under a jacket, you have to A: Buy a jacket/shirt combo. This is an all-in one garment. B: Use something called BoM (Bakes on Mesh) where you wear a layer that's painted (baked) on your mesh body. This can be hidden because it becomes like a part of the mesh body as long as you wear it. Good to use with t-shirts, because it is not 3D. A shirt collar will be painted on. It is like body paint. I use BoM for underwear, freckles, tattoos and stuff like that.

Thanks to all.  Only been in world for about a week, with a friend coaching me.  This is my first post.

The things over is what you should no, not necessarily what I do. My inventory is chaos because I slacked with this.

Also move items you bought from the marketplace  from Received items to the correct places, clothing (if it does not need unpacking) and/or the folder with unopened items. Do not forget to delete demos.

And welcome to SL!

• Like 1

Thank you!   That is extremely helpful.

I see my order history in marketplace, and each item has a "redeliver" item.    So if I understand you, I *could* delete the original box, and if I ever needed to unpack it again to get a different version of the jacket for a different body (for instance), I could get it redelivered, unpack and retrieve the next item.   But you personally keep the boxes in your inventory somewhere "just in case" the creator goes out of business.   Sounds like it is my option whether to delete the packaging box or not, as in most cases I can probably just get it again.

I understand the shirt poking thorough the jacket -- and the jacket did come with a shirt (in different colors).   I see it is not designed for my other t-shirt to work *with* the jacket, it is one or the other.

I think it depends. Most stores these days in world and even on market place have a redelivery service. In stores, you will either see a sign in the front that will direct you to a terminal which you click on and it will often open an external webpage with a list of all of the things you've bought from that store. Sometimes redelievery is built into the vendors themselves. If you click touch on some vendors, you will get a blue pop-up  and there may be option there providing the vendor you clicked is a product you already own. 

The reasons why I keep a copy of the unpacker:

1. A store is using the old school just click and buy method with redelievery only happening by a notecard.

2. I usually keep a fresh copy of my head and body that I don't touch in case something happens.

3. I am fortunate that I have friends who make things and they will send them to me on occasion  so no regular redelievery there.

Everything else I delete, and I try to do that immediately because my memory is very short , and I will sometimes forget if I have unpacked something already.

I do move these boxes into their own organized folder and even have some of them boxed depending on what they are.  Bless you for trying to get on top of your inventory. I definitely recommend trying to establish those good habits now before you turn around twice and have 100k+ items like me >.<

Welcome to the forum and SL!

Edited by Laurel Aurelia
whoopsie posted
  • Like 1

There are a number of "Inventory Management" tutorials floating around. Marianne gave you a good quick set of rational answers. Those are the basic ideas.

A fundamental of inventory management is to avoid flat inventories, meaning everything in one folder. use folders within folders, sub-folders. While your inventory is essentially UNLIMITED... there is a physical/time limit on inventory. There is only so much time allotted for downloading an inventory folder. With a weak connection somewhere around 5,000 items and folders per folder becomes a problem. It can be so bad you can't login. In which case support has to help and distribute items and folders into folders with less than 5k of stuff.

Beyond that, there is no limit. I know people with 100K+ items in inventory.

So, the big trick is WINNING at Second Life, which is an inventory game where merchants come up with more and more diverse items for users to figure out how to organize. (That is a joke)

There are various systems for organizing inventory. I have changed systems over my time in SL. You probably will too. 

I wanted someway to know what to keep and what I can toss and not miss. I now organize by category and year. So...

Dress Short 

I am not sure the year thing is going to work out that well. But, I do know what is old and new. I do know the Clothes and inside that Dresses, Shorts, Pants, Tops, Silks, etc. is working well.

Organization is a personal preference thing. So, whatever works for you. I just know I'm winning. 🤣 Right... ask me to find that gorgeous pair of shoes I wore in 2016... 🙄

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vzlenscu said:

1 & 2) I keep the original package if a copy of the item is still in it and i) the item is modifiable or ii) there are several different sizes but I don't need all of them out and available.  I may also keep a box if the picture on it gives information that isn't mentioned in a notecard.

3) I delete store logos.  I delete notecards and landmarks that don't tell me anything more than what I can find out just by looking at the maker's profile and picks.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Vzlenscu said:

Welcome to SL!

All of the following are optional; it's really up to you what you choose to do.

• I do usually keep the original boxes, provided that the clothing inside is Copy (if the clothing is no-copy, the box will be empty so there's no point keeping it). It's true that you can get a redelivery if the item was purchased from the Marketplace or from an in-world store with a redelivery option, but Marianne points out that stores may go out of business. I also find that after several years of Marketplace purchases, the search function to locate the original purchase takes so long, it's actually faster to rummage through my inventory and find the original box. I keep a separate folder called "Backups" under "Objects" in my inventory and subdivide it into categories like "Clothing", "Skins", "Hair", "Furniture" etc.
  • Deleting the other body sizes - I would recommend doing this only if you are sure that you have kept the original box. Because you might get another body further down the line and then you'll need at least one more of the other sizes. If you've kept that original storage box, there's no need to keep the sizes that you're not currently using.
  • You can safely delete everything else that's in the box including landmarks, scripts and notecards. I keep notecards if there are instructions I may need (for example how to use a hud that works in an unusual way) and I will keep the ad if it shows a picture of what the clothing looks like. Everything else goes to trash. Landmarks are often pointless, stores often move and you'll end up needing to use Search to find them anyway.

Auto-hide on the t-shirt... Auto-hide is a script inserted into the clothing which works to automatically activate the alpha settings in your body to prevent parts of your body from poking through. I'm not sure why you're getting a nag message from this particular shirt, normally if there is no auto-hide set up by the creator, it remains silent and you have to manage the alpha hiding yourself using your body's hud. That sounds like a customer-service issue to raise with the shirt's creator. They probably left a script inactive in it that should be active?

As for wearing mesh clothing over other mesh clothing, like a jacket over a t-shirt, you cannot ever do this unless the items were made by the same creator AND they were specifically were made to be worn together. They'll usually be sold as a single object, for example an open jacket with a built-in t-shirt. That t-shirt is not really a whole shirt, just a front that fills the gap in the open jacket. But the t-shirt you have is a whole one, it can only be worn on its own with nothing else over it.

To wear a t-shirt under your jacket, you'll need a LAYER or APPLIER t-shirt. Which one you choose depends on whether you are using Bakes on Mesh or not. I'm not sure how Geralt is doing Bakes on Mesh these days, but a year ago when I wore it, they had two separate bodies in the box, one Bakes on Mesh and the other not. The other option is that there is a button on the hud that switches Bakes on Mesh on and off. @Skell Dagger will probably be able to give you more up to date info on the latest version of Geralt.

The short explanation is, if you have Bakes on Mesh enabled, you can wear a t-shirt that is described as "system layers" or "bakes on mesh". These layers add on to your skin and appear on the mesh body as a very close-fitting clothing layer. If you do not have Bakes on Mesh, you will need a t-shirt that is an applier made specifically for Signature (Gianni ones will work too, if it doesn't specifically say Geralt. You can also use Omega appliers). This applier will appear as a hud on your screen, you click it and it will add the t-shirt texture over the top of your mesh body skin. In either case, when you use the body hud to hide parts of your body, it will hide the shirt too, so you can wear that jacket over the top. Once you've applied the t-shirt, you can detach the hud.

Edited by Maitimo
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2020 at 12:43 PM, Maitimo said:

I'm not sure how Geralt is doing Bakes on Mesh these days, but a year ago when I wore it, they had two separate bodies in the box, one Bakes on Mesh and the other not. The other option is that there is a button on the hud that switches Bakes on Mesh on and off. @Skell Dagger will probably be able to give you more up to date info on the latest version of Geralt.

Activating BoM on Signature bodies:

1. Wear your Signature body and its HUD
  2. Remove all of your alpha layers
  3. Go into the Settings tab (cog button)
  4. Click the BoM Bakes on Mesh button
  5. Confirm the activation in the popup menu

bom_signature_5.jpg

• Like 2

I have a folder in my Objects folder I call "Boxed.  When I buy an item and open it, I move the unopened copy to that folder.  Once a month I will box everything in that folder up into another box named by the month and year (ie July 20).  That then ends up in my 2020 box, and that in the big box of everything boxed - cos I am a total hoarder!!!

Now the opened folder...I will delete the body types I don't use and sometimes even the colours (if it's a fatpack cos ick pink, and doesn't use a HUD).  

Deleting the LMs, NCs and Logos from the opened folder does help keep the inventory number down.  I do recommend keeping the pictures of the items.  I get twitchy when it's missing from the purchase and I have to track a copy of it down and then spend another 10L uploading it.  

• Like 1

I unbox then delete LMs, most advertising photos (unless I feel I need it to further ID the item without wearing it) & notecards if they have no important information I might need.  Inside that item's folder I make another folder named "Other" & dump all the extra items made for different bodies or anything I know I won't be using any time soon.  That way the folder is manageable & I only see those clothes/items pertaining to mine at that time plus the relevant HUD.

• Like 1

This is what I do:

1. Unpack the box.
2. Create a .box folder inside the folder that holds the unpacked contents.  The dot in the name is so that the folder floats to the top of the contents.
3. Place the original box inside the .box folder.
4. Rename the folder slightly, if necessary, to get clean it of any unnecessary info or crazy characters.
5. Delete anything I am not going to use from the contents folder.
6. Store the folder away in an appropriate section of my inventory.

I keep the original boxes because stores and redelivery terminals inevitably stop functioning or go away both temporarily (just when you need it) and permanently.
Also sometimes you do not want to update and the redelivery may only have an updated version, not the version you want to unpack again.
I have encountered countless people who wish they had just kept the boxes for stuff for one or more of the above reasons.

It also allows me to delete items in clothing purchases for bodies I don't use knowing that if I decide to change bodies, I can just get that item back easily.
An extra folder and object per product makes no difference to your inventory size overall and you will more than make up for it by deleting the LM, the "how to get support for dummies" notecard and countless other bits of junk.

I don't play gacha so no-copy items aren't really an issue for me but in those circumstances there is obviously no point in storing the empty box.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
missing "I"
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.