Anybody else need Incremental Outfit Recording?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1341 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Maybe everybody else is more organized, but this happens to me all the time: I make some urgent costume change, then later I want to revert to what I was wearing before, only to discover I'm several "urgent costume changes" deep since wearing (or saving) my most recent Outfit, and I can't even remember what items I wore (and removed) in all that time.

This is how I end up with clothes that aren't in any outfit even though, when I stumble upon them again, I remember I thought they were cool that one time I wore them before I lost track of them altogether.

What I want is a "wardrobe assistant" that watches everything I put on and everything I take off, in order, so I could play it back in reverse sequence to reconstruct outfits I missed creating along the way. (Conceptually, then, an Outfit is really a named checkpoint in this stream of apparel events.)

Does this situation match anybody else's experience? Would you use some such "incremental outfit recording" functionality? (Or does it exist already, hidden in the obscure depths of TPV menu lore?)

At first I was all gung-ho to write some LSL to do what's possible, server side, but that would be painfully limited because without special RLV arrangements, scripts can't really see beyond non-HUD attachments (so no alphas, texture clothing, skins, etc) and can't tell one instance from another with the same name. Personally, I'd find useful even this simple record of the comings and goings of visible attachments (so I just might script it anyway) but really, this needs to be a viewer feature.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It would be useful yes. after reading what you said and how you described it a feature such at that would be helpful at times. and no it doesn't currently exist in any form that I know of. not even the current wardrobe management systems have that as an option yet.

it would be nice to be able to go back a few edits or changes or wears to a different look and have it again, without having to save 1000+ different outfits.

rlv is good for somethings but even it has its limitations on what it can do wardrobe wise.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold

It's a kludge but all I can suggest for this is each time to add to or remove something from your current outfit, save it as a new outfit, but name it as the date in format yyyymmdd. You'll end up with lots of folders but they'll be in date order and if you know roughly when you were wearing/not wearing things you can narrow it down to the right era.

• Like 1

I have some pretty odd ways of using my Outfits feature.

First of all, I have several Outfits with what I call "base bodies" - that is, the mesh body and head parts plus skin and whatever else (like tattoo layers, huds  etc) which go with that particular skin/body combination. These are naked. They are prefixed with the @ sign to keep them up at the top. Below that I have a few more that are less frequently used; male bodies, furry ones, nekos etc. These are prefixed with "A" (for Avatar).

Below that are my regular day-to-day clothing outfits. These are prefixed with "C" for Casual, "F" for Formal, "S" for Swim/Sexy (bikinis, lingerie etc), "B" for favourites that I wear more frequently (Yes I know Favourite doesn't start with B but it keeps them near the top) and "Ge" or "Gi" for male outfits for Geralt & Gianni (I should really just delete those, I haven't used a male body in over a year). When I make one of these outfits I go into its inventory folder and delete all the links that are part of the base body, so it leaves only the actual clothes, shoes and accessories, and whatever huds go with them. They are named according to the primary feature of the outfit, usually the top, for example "C Blueberry laced tank-top & shorts".

So the way it works is, I "Replace" with the base body outfit (@ or A), and then "Add" the clothing outfit (B, C, F, S etc). This means I don't have to save each clothing outfit multiple times with different body and skin combinations.

Hair is never included in either the body or the clothing outfits. I change my hair so often and so randomly it just doesn't work for me to include hair at all, so that gets added on separately at the end.

Below all that, I have another set of outfits all prefixed with "Z" (to keep them at the bottom). These are mostly fantasy costumes and unlike the others, these include a date in their name and they include the body parts and the clothing parts, plus the hair, all in one. These are the costume outfits I use for the themed events at Chiaroscuro and sometimes other places. I very rarely wear the exact same outfit again, but if there is another party with a similar theme (which there usually is - most non-seasonal themes at Chiaroscuro repeat every 3 months or so), I may use an older outfit as a starting point, make some changes and re-save it with a new date. These dated outfits get deleted after a year, which keeps the number down to under 100 of these.

My current count of saved outfits (all of the above) is just under 250; a very manageable number, and the prefixes I use in the names keep everything well-organised.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

It's a kludge but all I can suggest for this is each time to add to or remove something from your current outfit, save it as a new outfit, but name it as the date in format yyyymmdd. You'll end up with lots of folders but they'll be in date order and if you know roughly when you were wearing/not wearing things you can narrow it down to the right era.

aka the 1000+ outifts like I listed above.. and if you have more than one avatar and wanted to do the same.. 2k-3k-4k+ outfits.. what a nightmare to sort through.

8 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

I have some pretty odd ways of using my Outfits feature.

First of all, I have several Outfits with what I call "base bodies" - that is, the mesh body and head parts plus skin and whatever else (like tattoo layers, huds  etc) which go with that particular skin/body combination. These are naked. They are prefixed with the @ sign to keep them up at the top. Below that I have a few more that are less frequently used; male bodies, furry ones, nekos etc. These are prefixed with "A" (for Avatar).

Below that are my regular day-to-day clothing outfits. These are prefixed with "C" for Casual, "F" for Formal, "S" for Swim/Sexy (bikinis, lingerie etc), "B" for favourites that I wear more frequently (Yes I know Favourite doesn't start with B but it keeps them near the top) and "Ge" or "Gi" for male outfits for Geralt & Gianni (I should really just delete those, I haven't used a male body in over a year). When I make one of these outfits I go into its inventory folder and delete all the links that are part of the base body, so it leaves only the actual clothes, shoes and accessories, and whatever huds go with them. They are named according to the primary feature of the outfit, usually the top, for example "C Blueberry laced tank-top & shorts".

So the way it works is, I "Replace" with the base body outfit (@ or A), and then "Add" the clothing outfit (B, C, F, S etc). This means I don't have to save each clothing outfit multiple times with different body and skin combinations.

Hair is never included in either the body or the clothing outfits. I change my hair so often and so randomly it just doesn't work for me to include hair at all, so that gets added on separately at the end.

Below all that, I have another set of outfits all prefixed with "Z" (to keep them at the bottom). These are mostly fantasy costumes and unlike the others, these include a date in their name and they include the body parts and the clothing parts, plus the hair, all in one. These are the costume outfits I use for the themed events at Chiaroscuro and sometimes other places. I very rarely wear the exact same outfit again, but if there is another party with a similar theme (which there usually is - most non-seasonal themes at Chiaroscuro repeat every 3 months or so), I may use an older outfit as a starting point, make some changes and re-save it with a new date. These dated outfits get deleted after a year, which keeps the number down to under 100 of these.

My current count of saved outfits (all of the above) is just under 250; a very manageable number, and the prefixes I use in the names keep everything well-organised.

i do sort of the same thing, a slightly different naming system but the same general idea. have a naked(base) body, its named for the avatar that its for and that its naked, then just make a few clothing ones. 

then just use the clothing features to add or remove the clothing from the particular avatar or change avatar then do the same.

key is to use add and remove and not just wear or you end up with a fully clothed ghost avatar. or a weird looking system avatar that just looks strange if you didnt leave the alpha layer within the clothing folders.

you can then even copy all of that to the rlv folder and then use rlv to manage it or let someone use your rlv to manage it.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I don't need this as often as Qie apparently does...but yeah, it would be really nice to have an Undo button for appearance.  They could even tie it to CTRL+Z.

what?!!! make it simple!! make it common sensical??!!! what world do you live on!!! like omg!!

*sneaks up and tickles* ya know im just a big ole brat. :P

8 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I don't need this as often as Qie apparently does...but yeah, it would be really nice to have an Undo button for appearance.  They could even tie it to CTRL+Z.

Yeah, I'm getting the sense that I'm uniquely disorganized when it comes to Outfits, so maybe this doesn't have the universal appeal I'd expected. Just have to wait until some TPV developer jumps up and says "I need that!"... and at the rate new Linden features are rolling out, TPV developers may not have much spare jumping-up time.

Maybe I'm so disorganized because I was relatively late to even start making outfits, instead of just changing clothing, etc., one at a time. Now I tend to use appearance items only once I've incorporated them into an outfit, soon after I buy or create them. Else they're lost to my hopeless mess of an inventory, I guess.

The thing I envisioned is a kind of Undo functionality, but I'd pictured something more explicit about what each undo/redo step will do, and from what Outfit the stream of changes were originally based.

And that's where I realize there's a loose end: if an outfit is revised, what happens to any Redo history based on that outfit? If I just update links in the outfit (like my mesh body got updated or something) then I'd want that to just apply to any history step based on that outfit. But if I edit the outfit and save it manually, I may have deleted or replaced stuff that gets referenced in later steps based on that outfit, so those steps would definitely be invalid. In between these extremes, though... say I add something new to the outfit, or replace an item not referenced in any history steps between wearing different outfits... maybe those intermediate steps should work with the revised outfit, maybe not. (I know I'm making this too hard. You'd think I used to review software specs or something.)

• Haha 1

I have brought up such an undo feature in a couple viewer meetings and at least Rider Linden was interested in looking at such a thing if someone where to put it in as a viewer feature request. I found it indispensable in Imvu when they put it in their viewer as it saves oodles of time when trying on different combinations of skin/hair/head/outfits. No need to constantly search for something I took off 2 changes before.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1341 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.