Getting around llGiveInventory and llGiveInventoryList limitations

Keelan Jinx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4689 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there,

I've been researching the constraints of these two commands, and I am trying to find a way to get around some of the limitations mentioned in the LSL wiki. Does anyone know of a way to do either of the following things via scripting?

1. Give an SINGLE inventory item to another OBJECT that is NOT in the same region? (http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlGiveInventory)

or

2. Give a FOLDER of items to an AVATAR that is NOT in the same region? (http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlGiveInventoryList)

Thanks in advance for any help!

I thought about this more and realized there is one other thing that might be useful for my situation. If it is possible to make an object with a script inside that can pick up another item automatically and put it inside itself. Does anyone know if this is feasible as well?

Thanks again!

You can't script an object to pick up another one, but you can script it to accept it.  Write your script with a sensor to scan for the presence of whatever it's supposed to pick up.  When it finds the object, have it send a hello message that triggers a llGiveInventory script in the other object. When the second object receives the message, have it give a copy of itself and then llDie.

Thanks for your response and the hint about being able to script a box to accept it, but I think I need clarification on one point - how can you get an object to give a copy of itself? I thought an object could only give out it's contents, not give itself without using the help of an avatar to pick it up and give it. In my case the whole operation needs to be scripted to work automatically.

Basically, I am trying to create a delivery system that will  be able to auto-assemble a collection of objects, and then send that collection to an avatar in a different region. I don't mind if it arrives as a box they need to unpack or as a folder full of items in their inventory, but the whole thing has to be done only with scripting. I want it to arrive as one transaction, not have to have the avatar accept each piece individually.. that's why either packed box or inventory folder would work.

I was afraid that was the case.  You're trying to create a virtual "Roomba."  The object can only give a copy of itself if it has one in its own inventory already. That solution won't work in your case because your object will have no way to assemble itself IN itself. You're facing two challenges.  The object can't pick up anything without permission and it can't send anything outside the sim, except within the limits that you have quoted from the wiki. 

about the only solution is to have box in content that contain different combinations of the separate items to send, then the script choose which combo box to send and sends that to the avatar.... this can get huge fast, especially if multiples of a single item are allowed

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4689 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.