Jump to content
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

I'm 1.86 m (6.1 ft.) so a little tall still for RL scale (and taller than I am in RL).   I've never been overly concerned about being completely RL scale though - I like being an average height compared to others I socialize with or see in-world,  and I like to feel like I mostly fit my house and furnishings. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am 5'7" in first life.  Firestorm measures me 6.78 ft. flat footed and 2.07meters.  Rezzing a cube I am 2.0695.  Pretty accurate I would say.  I use to be taller and over the years have shrunk.  Not going any shorter.  I am a amazon among munchkins , but I would rather be looking down than up.  Besides the air up here is better.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Who knows. The slider is all the way up. Only REALLY old like class of 2003 toons were short when I started. Everybody had the slider all the way up. Linden Lab was cracking down on a lot of child avis in sex sims; so, nobody really ran around in short avis. No real reason to change.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm 5'7" irl and set my avatar accordingly. Received a random fashion show invitation yesterday and imagine my awkwardness when I saw that everyone (models and audience) was about 7' tall. 😄 Since the average height in SL seems to be so high, I'm thinking of bumping my avatar to 6'3" to balance it out. It's been a bit of a conundrum since I've considered modeling assets slightly larger than they would normally be irl (e.g. weapons, accessories, etc.).

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, n0minous said:

I'm 5'7" irl and set my avatar accordingly. Received a random fashion show invitation yesterday and imagine my awkwardness when I saw that everyone (models and audience) was about 7' tall. 😄 Since the average height in SL seems to be so high, I'm thinking of bumping my avatar to 6'3" to balance it out. It's been a bit of a conundrum since I've considered modeling assets slightly larger than they would normally be irl (e.g. weapons, accessories, etc.).

yes the mainstream fashion models in SL tend to be a bit giraffe-like. Is just a thing really

what I suggest is to think of your shape when modelling as a work accessory. Fashion designer says: wear this hair, wear these shoes, wear this outfit, etc. Wear this giraffe shape is just another work thing when a model. Model just does it, as is just a job. Fashion shows are about what the model is wearing, not who the model is or how they feel. Model is basically just a costume hanger when performing in a fashion show 

think about having a giraffe-size shape for work, and when not working then wear your normal shape

Edited by Mollymews
hanger
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cougar Sangria said:

I am 5'7" in first life.  Firestorm measures me 6.78 ft. flat footed and 2.07meters.  Rezzing a cube I am 2.0695.  Pretty accurate I would say.  I use to be taller and over the years have shrunk.  Not going any shorter.  I am a amazon among munchkins , but I would rather be looking down than up.  Besides the air up here is better.

Me too. I tried being a average size in secondlife but I cant do it at all !!!

I need to be a Amazonian Woman in my SL. ...... Its in my blood!!!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mollymews said:

yes the mainstream fashion models in SL tend to be a bit giraffe-like. Is just a thing really

what I suggest is to think of your shape when modelling as a work accessory. Fashion designer says: wear this hair, wear these shoes, wear this outfit, etc. Wear this giraffe shape is just another work thing when a model. Model just does it, as is just a job. Fashion shows are about what the model is wearing, not who the model is or how they feel. Model is basically just a costume hanger when performing in a fashion show 

think about having a giraffe-size shape for work, and when not working then wear your normal shape

Ah, sorry I meant to say that I've considered 3D modeling (I guess "meshing" is the term used here) accessories a bit larger than I normally would, not becoming a fashion model. 😅

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

All of the viewer 'height reports' use the agent height feature. That reports something different than what you see in SL. I'm not sure, but I think it's your 'collisions box'.

Most shape dials are connected to it, but one or more in the head region are not. I forget which - it's been years.

Adjust dials in your head (and maybe elsewhere but I don't think so) and see which ones make you taller on screen but do NOT change what the viewer says is your height...

- To have an actual height be the same as what the viewer says, as a few people here do have, those dials for you need to be the same as they were for whoever made the formula for that given viewer... Random chance says some people will be, and some will not.

d9db8bf8b6cf5bd4c87f4145ee8bbcf9.thumb.png.2511c7ebd9b295b0f618bfb19ba20331.png

Firestorm says 1.68, but my height is actually 1.6698.

- Extremely close, but not the same.

 

So far I have found that 'Head Stretch' and 'Egg Head' change my actual height, but NOT my agent height. My usual values for these are 56 and 51 - however when I set these both to 50 I end up slightly shorter (lower egg head makes you slightly taller, but lower head stretch makes you visibly shorter). So... there's got to be at least one more missing dial somewhere...

Head Size and Neck Length on the other hand, change my agent height - so it's not 'blind' to the head... just to the 'smaller tweaks'.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, n0minous said:

Ah, sorry I meant to say that I've considered 3D modeling (I guess "meshing" is the term used here) accessories a bit larger than I normally would, not becoming a fashion model. 😅

oops!

in the weapons case then is best to release the model (mesh object) with modify permission.  The scripts can be no-modify

when the model is modify then your buyer/user can use the Edit tool to size rescale it to fit their avatar quite easily

a model can't be scaled down smaller when any part/link is 0.01 on any XYZ axis - not without editing resizing the individual parts of the model if is made of linked parts. So choose what you think will be the smallest sized avatar among your buyers/users and make the smallest part 0.01 on any axis for this smallest sized avatar.  Then your users will be able to scale their weapon up from there to fit their larger avatars

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...