How tall is your avatar?

Fritigern Gothly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1350 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey everyone, I randomly started to wonder how tall the average (human/humanoid) avatar is.

I myself am currently 5.71 ft/1.74 meters (my height slider is set to 26) but I have shrunk myself from the nearly 7ft which I was a few months ago, to 6.20 and then down to 5.71 and I still feel tall at times.

How did I get almost 7ft tall? Well, I had been a bit of a recluse for a long time but still edited my shape and size, and without anyone next to me to compare myself to, I never realized how tall I actually was. LOL

So, how about you, how tall are you?

• Like 2

Firestorm reports my height at 7.14 feet (about 7'2"), and that is entirely intentional. My avatar is not human, it's an elf. And I don't mean the titchy D&D type or the Santa's-little-helper type. I mean the tall, noble ones like Tolkien's Noldor. 

• Like 4

In the Firestorm viewer  I show as 1.80 meters or 5'9ish. I've been in  SL for over 13 years and have always been around this height, and honestly used to be even shorter.  Height really doesn't matter to me as long as you are in proportion with the rest of your body. I find the taller you are the harder it is to get those proportions right. 

Edited by Laurel Aurelia

I shoot for 5'-10" / 1.78m without heels. HOWEVER... several places in SL consider one a child if your height is less than 1.80m, which I think sucks.

I made the Model Shape Tool because the various viewers report the same size avatar as different heights. Rezzing an in-world cube and measuring is the only way to get it right. So the tool is a prim I can compare my avatar to. It adds the scale for getting the legs, arms, and torso to the correct proportions.

14 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:
14 hours ago, Sakura Sands said:

What’s the easiest way to measure height? I use Firestorm..

When editing your shape, the window will tell you how tall you are. I use Firestorm myself so this is what it looks like for me.
image.png.bf607169609a2ed1bfb5851fbfab42df.png

The shape editor is definitely the easiest way to get a measurement, but it isn't accurate - though Firestorm does come closer than the SL viewer.  

Only a prim will give the correct value.

• Thanks 2

I am not sure about easiest but this works.

Make a cube on the floor. Stretch it to the height you want. Widen it a bit so you can easily be inside it. Make it 50% transparent or whatever you like. Make the cube phantom. Take off your hair and wear flat feet... basically no heals. Check that your hover has your feet on the floor. Walk into the cube. Edit shape. Adjust shape until the top of the head is just barely poking through the top of the cube. Bang... that is exact as it gets.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 2:29 AM, Maitimo said:

Firestorm reports my height at 7.14 feet (about 7'2"), and that is entirely intentional. My avatar is not human, it's an elf. And I don't mean the titchy D&D type or the Santa's-little-helper type. I mean the tall, noble ones like Tolkien's Noldor. 

???

What gave you that impression? The Noldor are as "titchy" as the D&D types.

E. g. two quotes about Galadriel:

"She grew to be tall beyond the measure even of the women of the Noldor." (The History of Galadriel and Celeborn)

"The Eldar of the Elder Days were also very tall. Galadriel, “the tallest of all the women of the Eldar of whom tales tell,” was said to be man-high, but it is noted “according to the measure of the Dúnedain and the men of old,” indicating a height of about six feet four inches." (Appendix: Númenórean Linear Measures)

2 hours ago, Lynethe said:

???

What gave you that impression? The Noldor are as "titchy" as the D&D types.

E. g. two quotes about Galadriel:

"She grew to be tall beyond the measure even of the women of the Noldor." (The History of Galadriel and Celeborn)

"The Eldar of the Elder Days were also very tall. Galadriel, “the tallest of all the women of the Eldar of whom tales tell,” was said to be man-high, but it is noted “according to the measure of the Dúnedain and the men of old,” indicating a height of about six feet four inches." (Appendix: Númenórean Linear Measures)

D&D elves average below average human height (at least they did, last time I played it). That's "titchy" to me. The Noldor are taller, and Maedhros, after whom my avatar is inspired, was known as "Maedhros the Tall" which suggests that even other elves thought he was tall.

According to Firestorm, I'm 6.4 feet (about 6'5"). And I still look very short compared to most guys (it seems to be mainly women who have adopted the "realistic height" scale). 

Indra (my girl alt) is 6.1 feet. 

Edited by Lewis Luminos

1.72m tall myself (my rl height)

As for those wondering how they got so tall years back sl changed the way they measured that and not many seemed to notice so they became amazons overnight. Content creators (houses, furniture, etc) also never noticed and kept on making it at the same size. Had one content creator get really nasty about it once before when they started picking on my height 😛

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1350 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.