Tall Wooden barrier blocking my view

urBAEcation

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1343 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I'm new to SL forums and I hope this is in the right place. I recently just bought land on a private island and there is this big tall wooden barrier blocking one side of my home. The other houses on the same island don't seem to have it only mine. Is there a way to get rid of this? I want to be able to see through all my windows. I have attached a photo for ease of reference about what I am talking about. If no links are allowed I apologize, I've never done this before. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Wooden Barrier

8 minutes ago, urBAEcation said:

Hello,

I'm new to SL forums and I hope this is in the right place. I recently just bought land on a private island and there is this big tall wooden barrier blocking one side of my home. The other houses on the same island don't seem to have it only mine. Is there a way to get rid of this? I want to be able to see through all my windows. I have attached a photo for ease of reference about what I am talking about. If no links are allowed I apologize, I've never done this before. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Wooden Barrier

If its on your property you can right click and delete it.  If it is on a neighbouring parcel you might have to approach them and ask them to remove it nicely and hope they aren't being an idiot about it 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, urBAEcation said:

That prim looks really obnoxious! I also must say that it LOOKS like you are renting on a private region, and some of them have rules against barriers or causing eyesores for your neighbors. These rules are often written in the land's covenant. 

So best talk to your neighbor first and see if they will see reason, but if they are unresponsive (or rude, or worse!) you may want to see what your land's covenant has to say about barriers. To find this out, right click the land, select "about land" and go to the "Covenant" tab and read closely (it can be a long read sometimes) and if they are indeed in violation of the covenant, you can contact the land owner (the one you rent the land from!) and report that barrier.
Sometimes land owners will still help you even if the covenant says nothing about barriers or ugly looking builds or whatever.

As a final option you can permanently derender the barrier, but you need  third party viewer for that, such as Firestorm, Singularity, CoolVL, etc. The standard viewer by Linden LAbs does not have that feature.,

P.S. It appears as if you are nude in the picture you shared. If your nudity is the reason why the neighbor put up the barrier, then you can hide your presence while on your parcel. See the screenshot below (click to enlarge)

About Land - Hiding avatars.png

• Like 1

Just some added info for you and others.

Oftentimes the sim rules are in a notecard, not in the land tab. So see if you have anything like that.

Some options besides derendering and blacklisting would be moving up into the sky where you have no neighbors. Often this is abover 2000 meters as a rule (varies a lot)  -- put up your own barrier with a pretty scene OR put  a surround around your parcel.  

OR put bushes that block the view down by the pool and blinds on the windows on that side (yes, you lose the view but at this point we don't know what that view is behind the plywood; it could be something WORSE than the plywood (believe me -- it could be).   

Inform your landlord of the problem -- especially if it isn't clear about the rules and ASK if this is allowed. 

You could of course just move to another rental area LOL --- some landlords are better at keeping the peace than others.   

Good luck!!!!   

Thank you everyone for all your responses! The issue is there is no one living on that part of the island, the section on the other side of the barrier the land is still "for sale" and is still available "for rent".

I tried to delete but there was no option for that :(. I'm at loss on what to do and how to get rid of it. Can someone please explain how to derender the barrier?

Thank you all once again for your help!

32 minutes ago, urBAEcation said:

I wanted to add onto my previous post, the barrier seems to not be on my property so can it be removed still?

from the pic it appears that your home is on a platform in the sky on the same level as your neighbour

suggest that you talk to your estate landlord about you moving your home to a different level in the sky.  This way you and your neighbour will not be in each others view

4 hours ago, urBAEcation said:

I wanted to add onto my previous post, the barrier seems to not be on my property so can it be removed still?

I would say that you should contact the one you bought land from and ask that the barrier is removed. If he refuses, or does not respond, move to another place.

When you "buy" on private land, you does not really buy the land. You pay rent to the land owner every week. So the land owner is missing income if he does not help you.

You say no one is living on the other side of the wall? Maybe the landlord himself put the barrier there and have textured it with a pretty texture on the other side. If so, that is very strange behavior. If he will separate the properties, he must do it the same on both sides.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i don't understand exactly i think... it looks like you build on a sky platform, can't imagine a private estate terraforms it's land to a flat pancake floating above sea level .. why build that way?.. it's worse than mainland, i wouldn't stay there for another day, no matter how cheap.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

can't imagine a private estate terraforms it's land to a flat pancake floating above sea level

I find that hard to believe too. Yet, if you look closely at the picture, that is exactly what it is!

• Thanks 1

Well, not terraformed: it's a prim, with perfect square corners and you can see under it. But it's hard to believe anyway. Who wants to rent empty water with a flat, vaguely sand-textured prim floating just above it? I guess if you could return the base and build your own mesh "island" there might be some reason to be at ground level, but otherwise... yeah, if I were stuck with this rental, I'd definitely do a sky build. And I'd look for another rental cuz this arrangement ain't gonna pay the estate-owner's bills -- not a chance.

• Like 2

The land offers a land and sky build, is there a way to tell which I built on? It seems everyone is suggesting I build or move to the sky can someone please tell me how I am able to do that? OR if I'm in the sky already how do I move onto land? Sorry for so many questions I just want my money worth!

3 hours ago, urBAEcation said:

The land offers a land and sky build, is there a way to tell which I built on? It seems everyone is suggesting I build or move to the sky can someone please tell me how I am able to do that? OR if I'm in the sky already how do I move onto land? Sorry for so many questions I just want my money worth!

Explaining it step by step via posts may work, but first I think you should contact the land manager and tell that this prim is disturbing your view. If you see water under you, you are at sea level, that is called "land build". Sky build is high up in the air. Ask to be moved to a sky build where you can not see the neighbor.

I think this will help you faster. There are inworld classes about land management and building, but the simple is often best, contact the manager. If you do not know how to contact them, find their name, look in their profile. It says if they will be contacted by IM or notecard.

You have paid for their service, if they fail to help you find a solution, they lose a customer.

I just wanted to say thank you all again who replied to my post and giving me advice.

I contacted the estate owner and they had the wooden barrier removed as well as whatever prims it had and now I can see a 360 of my home :).

I appreciate all the help everyone gave.

Cheers!

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Glad it got resolved.  One other solution, that has worked when I've lived next to folks who like those giant fake-landscape panoramas right up on the edge of their parcel, is to ask them to edit the object, select the face that I am looking at, and set the texture transparency to 100%.

• Like 1

Hello @urBAEcation, and welcome to the joys and frustrations of virtual home ownership.

As Alwin says, even though the annoying plywood sheet has been removed, there are many more visually attractive places to live in SL.  I teach a class on virtual land at Caledon Oxbridge University, on Saturdays, at 12 noon SL time.  It's free to attend...maybe I'll see you there!

On 7/25/2020 at 3:17 AM, Qie Niangao said:

Well, not terraformed: it's a prim, with perfect square corners and you can see under it. But it's hard to believe anyway. Who wants to rent empty water with a flat, vaguely sand-textured prim floating just above it?

That sounds like half the plots on Blake Sea...

The other half, are covered by giant multi-sim sized airports.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1343 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.