America, we need to talk...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1332 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Lindal Kidd said:

While Tari has some good points, I think that ItHadTo also had a good one.  Too often today, we Americans are unwilling to accept our citizenship, and therefore identify ourselves as something else.  While they have every right to do so, I think it illustrates the increased divisiveness in our country...and I don't think that is a good thing at all.

well when you have an orange headed president that likes to stir up trouble and cause more problems then he really solves can you blame anyone for not wanting to claim their american culture at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

well when you have an orange headed president that likes to stir up trouble and cause more problems then he really solves can you blame anyone for not wanting to claim their american culture at the moment.

A lot more people didn't choose him than did, it's good to remember that.

2 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

The only people in America I've met are who say they "are from there" are immigrants who have not fully immigrated yet and because they are not an American citizen yet.

I say my ancestors were from Poland and France.  I've never said "I'm from there", so some of this sounds weird to me because I've never heard it unless it's a new immigrant.    

I met immigrants all the time who are immigrants and they are "from there"...somewhere else...new immigrants, many don't even speak hardly any English yet.  There used to be free English learning classes but those are few and far between now-a-days.  You pretty much have to pay for your own English lessons.  

In California, we have government documents in at least 25 languages here.  So, a lot of people are home sick and they are new immigrants and still miss their homeland and say they are "from there"...somewhere else.  

Yes, those people originally came from another country and are citizens of that country. It makes sense for them to say that they're of that nationality.

For people who've lived in America for generations to say they're not American... I don't understand it.

• Like 3

I have no idea how you got THAT from anything the OP posted...but.....I will say that even if some are having difficulty accepting their current citizenship, it's not the OP's(or anyone;'s) place to judge them for it. Maybe those people have a damn good reason. We are most assuredly divided in this nation, as are many around the globe actually, and more often than not, we refuse to listen to people on their reasons for why. When I say we, I do include all of us, really, because we're often so steadfast in our own opinions and beliefs that we simply can't be bothered to try and understand others' reasoning. 

I know plenty of people who are so absolutely proud of their citizenship, who also still claim their heritage. I know plenty who have a difficult time with both. I know even more who may struggle with one or the other from time to time too, though. 

It's still no one's place to say "you can't claim...xzy....if you don't know everything about it", that's so absolutely insulting to people. You're literally telling people how to define themselves, and is that not what many who fight for various rights, again across the globe not just in the US, are trying to stop so very often? We have that citizenship, here in the US at least, because a group of people got tired of others trying to define who and what they should be.....

Just let that sink in for a minute.....we don't want others defining us....but we're okay with some rando on the 'net telling us how not to define ourselves..........

Yeah, I should bow out of this convo, it's really, really insulting, and I'm surprised more people aren't seeing that. It's probably just me, but I'm terribly insulted by someone telling me I can;'t claim a heritage because they don't like it. 

Y'all have a fantastic morning, day, night, whatever. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

A lot more people didn't choose him than did, it's good to remember that.

thats irrelevant at this point its because of him and what is going on that many people are claiming or looking at family heritage to have something to be more proud about.

i might be a born american.. but even I dont really like considering myself one with the current state this country is in. and no I didnt vote for him either but got stuck with him anyways.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SassySam87 said:

Yes, those people originally came from another country and are citizens of that country. It makes sense for them to say that they're of that nationality.

For people who've lived in America for generations to say they're not American... I don't understand it.

they are not saying that they are 'not' american, they are saying they are 'also' from xyz other country. 

saying your british, when your clearly american, does not mean you are totally ignoring your american heritage or claiming only to be british...

people are trying to take things to literal it sounds like..

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, SassySam87 said:

Okay, well I haven't had that experience ever but then again in my day to day experiences with others we don't discuss that we are American to one another as there is no need.   But, overseas, out of America, I'd probably be asked because of my accent.  

Again, the only one's I've heard tell me personally are new immigrants and they say something more along the lines "in my country" and then they explain what is different; such as, fill in the blank, as it could be a myriad of things.  We are exchanging cultures at the moment and how their country differs.  Many new immigrants are home sick and some may be only working temp here and eventually will go home to their homeland.  Not all people who work in America stay here.  

So, my experiences haven't been yours.  We don't force nor expect new immigrants to say they are American.  It's a process to become an American and some will but some never will.  They will stay with a Green Card for a long time but eventually go back to their country.  

Edited by FairreLilette

thats irrelevant at this point its because of him and what is going on that many people are claiming or looking at family heritage to have something to be more proud about.

i might be a born american.. but even I dont really like considering myself one with the current state this country is in. and no I didnt vote for him either but got stuck with him anyways.

No, that stuff was always there. He just brought to a head and it looks like its about to pop. 

But like Lindal said, just vote....

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

No, that stuff was always there. He just brought to a head and it looks like its about to pop. 

But like Lindal said, just vote....

some of it may have already been there, but he definitely made it worse and is enough reason for some people to not want to claim their american heritage at the moment because of embarrassment of having him for a president.

its not easy for everyone to be a proud american when you have a leader like him at the helm. so of course some are going to want to look elsewhere and maybe latch on to other parts of their ancestral history as something to be a little more proud of.

it could also be they just recently did an ancestry test or something and are not learning more about it and thus trying to claim that part of them too.

• Like 1

I speak chinese, if i took a dna test it would probably show i'm 100% chinese, i eat chinese food everyday for breakfast, lunch and dinner but I've don't say i'm chinese. Just face it people, you're american and nothing else. just because your great great grandpa was german doesn't mean you have any claim to identifying as german. Can't wait for all the triggered replies.

Edited by nlbrn4
  • Like 1

Usually when someone says you're "claiming to not be American" or "claiming to be something else" what they really mean is that you've failed to bleach off the color and failed to change the DNA enough for their liking... because even if you do adopt their culture, they will STILL say you're refusing to assimilate...

And at this point, the gig is largely up for that... we know they don't actually want us to assimilate, to act like them, to claim to be one of them, to even look like them.

They just want us dead.

But they can't say that publicly these days...

So they angle around it with all kinds of other fancy ways of expressing it, often because they themselves don't fully grasp what they actually want - even as they deny every single last attempt anyone makes to actually meet the last demand they put forth.

So when someone tells you they are this or that... what they are saying to you is that they are... they exist... and you just need to get over your issues about it...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, nlbrn4 said:

I speak chinese, if i took a dna test it would probably show i'm 100% chinese, i eat chinese food everyday for breakfast, lunch and dinner but I've don't say i'm chinese. Just face it people, you're american and nothing else. just because your great great grandpa was german doesn't mean you have any claim to identifying as german. Can't wait for all the triggered replies.

yes they do have the right to claim their are german as well, it doesnt matter if they are born american or not. you dont have to be born german to claim german heritage at all.

some of it may have already been there, but he definitely made it worse and is enough reason for some people to not want to claim their american heritage at the moment because of embarrassment of having him for a president.

its not easy for everyone to be a proud american when you have a leader like him at the helm. so of course some are going to want to look elsewhere and maybe latch on to other parts of their ancestral history as something to be a little more proud of.

I don't think he made it worse, he just brought what wasn't spoken out into the light. It was there, it was ugly before but people chose not to see it, now you kinda can't ignore it.

Then he kind of co-opted nationalism in the worst way possible and a lot of people bought into it. It's not exactly a new tactic. But if that's not what you're about and you feel that's not what your country is about, it's still changeable.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

it doesnt matter if they are born american or not. you dont have to be born german to claim german heritage at all.

guess i have a claim to being german now

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

I don't think he made it worse, he just brought what wasn't spoken out into the light. It was there, it was ugly before but people chose not to see it, now you kinda can't ignore it.

Then he kind of co-opted nationalism in the worst way possible and a lot of people bought into it. It's not exactly a new tactic. But if that's not what you're about and you feel that's not what your country is about, it's still changeable.  

yes and no.. i didnt vote for him last time.. i voted against him. yet I still got stuck with him. so voting wont always solve the problem. for even those who vote against him may still loose to enough of the idiots that will choose to support him again and again and again because they fall for his little games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nlbrn4 said:

guess i have a claim to being german now

do you have german ancestors? if so then yes you can claim to be part german.. that is all it takes. you dont have to be a full blooded born german before you can claim to be german. you dont even have to know german or even been to germany at all. you dont even need current friends or relatives living in germany either.

• Confused 1

Just now, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

yes and no.. i didnt vote for him last time.. i voted against him. yet I still got stuck with him. so voting wont always solve the problem. for even those who vote against him may still loose to enough of the idiots that will choose to support him again and again and again because they fall for his little games.

I'm pretty sure with all the polling numbers, things really aren't looking good for him. He's pretty much down to his hardcore base.

Now if he was polling really high through all of this, then I'd cosign sticking your head in the sand. Mistakes were made....people know it. Fingers crossed, you got this!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

do you have german ancestors? if so then yes you can claim to be part german.. that is all it takes. you dont have to be a full blooded born german before you can claim to be german. you dont even have to know german or even been to germany at all. you dont even need current friends or relatives living in germany either.

so by all you've just said, i can proudly call myself german despite never visiting there, not knowing a single german, not speaking german. Germany is laughing at anyone who thinks they can get away with this. Face it, not every country is like america where you can be american with a snap of your fingers. 

Edited by nlbrn4
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, nlbrn4 said:

I don't know what all this is about, though I'm guessing someone in another thread said they are not American.  Well, maybe that's just the way they feel right now as others are saying but I haven't read the thread nor was I involved it.

But, if someone was doing your biography, yes, you would be identified as of Chinese and German heritage.   In a biography of yourself, you would not be identified as American alone.  

Part of what you are is from your heritage and what makes you unique.  

African-Americans identify as African-Americans although they've never been to Africa.  We show them that respect because that is how they would like to be addressed, at least it is that way in California.   Rarely is Black used.  Caucasians are Whites that are of European decent,  though I'm not sure Polish people are Caucasian.  Caucasian is a bit complicated.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 2

Just now, nlbrn4 said:

so by all you've just said, i can proudly call myself german despite never visiting there, not knowing a single german, not speaking german. Germany is laughing at anyone who thinks they can get away with this. Face it, not every country is like america where you can be american with a snap of your fingers. 

it doesnt matter what anyone else things or likes or not. it is not for them to decide what someone else can claim themselves to be or not. those who dont like it, need to just grow up and get over themselves. its a them problem and not a problem of the person making the claim.

for yes all you need is to have any ancestors of that nation/culture to be able to claim to be of that nation/culture too, regardless if anyone there likes you doing so or not.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

what if you are adopted by a family with german ancestry, or marry someone who has german ancestry? is it about bloodlines, or affiliations?

Just now, Akane Nacht said:

what if you are adopted by a family with german ancestry, or marry someone who has german ancestry? is it about bloodlines, or affiliations?

well in this thread it seems to be more about bloodlines.

it smells like an anti american topic, where someone is just upset that someone claimed to be something other then american and they think its just another american stealing someone elses culture again.

toward the marriage any children had by you and that other person would be able to claim german heritage at that point because of the bloodlines from the other parent.

I can't quote for some reason.

heritage is the keyword, except people are saying they can be called german without being to germany. 

"it doesn't matter what anyone likes or not" nope, I'm not going to forcefully stop people from falsely identifying themselves but this is a discussion on whether i agree with that or not.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1332 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.