Is this a thing?!? šŸ¤”

Canuck01

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1371 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,Ā 

Ā  Iā€™m not sure if this has been touched on before or not?

Ā  The other day I was doing someĀ window shopping In game, when I was approached and messaged by someone. We got to talking. The conversation went pretty much to money right away... how they needed it and inquiring how much I hadĀ (To which I answered vaguely!) and if I knew a way to make it fast. Call me suspicious but this persons Avi was spectacular looking, so thisĀ came as a surprise! Ā 
Ā  later they revealed that this was a new account and they had previously been banned for ā€œgriefingā€?!? and that they had in the past caused another residents graphics card to overheat or become damaged in some way?!?Ā Ā This combined with the money questions made me extremely wary to be around this person.

Ā Iā€™m just curious... is this griefing an actual thing and has anyone else come across this kind of thing??

Ā CheersĀ 

Ā 

• Like 1

I would be cautious about this person too.

I have encountered a "graphics card killer" once; they could, in theory, cause your graphics card to become damaged IF you were able to stay near one for long enough without the viewer crashing anyway. If at any time your FPS suddenly drops to near-zero with no explanation, one of the possible causes is that one of these objects has arrived nearby.Ā Ā Moving, teleporting away or even closing the viewer becomes almost impossible when your FPS is that low. If you get into a situation like that, using alt-tab to tab out of the viewer, and Task Manager to close it, is probably the easiest solution. Then log back in at a different location.

The Firestorm viewer has protection options to protect you against the type of object that does this. The setting to look for is on the "Protection" tab; "Automatically hide large objects with a high texture threshold". Also on the Graphics tab, keep "Maximum complexity" (of other avatars) below "noĀ limit".

That said, I haven't seen anything like it inĀ the past 5 or 6 years, probably because so many people use Firestorm these days that it's not worth the griefers' effort any more.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Canuck01 said:

The conversation went pretty much to money right away... how they needed it and inquiring how much I hadĀ (To which I answered vaguely!)Ā 

Call me suspicious

Ā 

not suspicious enough if you talk about your finanicials with a random stranger specificly asking for it ...

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

not suspicious enough if you talk about your finanicials with a random stranger specificly asking for it ...

I agree Alwin, though all I admitted to was that I ā€œhad a bitā€ which after the fact I realized was too much info already. I wonā€™t be making this mistake again..

• Like 2

I remember when The Junkyard Blues Club had to go private in order to keep griefers out who were burning out the graphics cards of the DJs and hosts.Ā  They stayed private for a few years due to that. Never charged a fee, but you had to belong to the group to get in.

Edited by kali Wylder
typos

4 hours ago, Maitimo said:

That said, I haven't seen anything like it inĀ the past 5 or 6 years, probably because so many people use Firestorm these days that it's not worth the griefers' effort any more.

tbf the fix for the greifer viewer crasher problem was a Linden fix

the grief vector wasn't so much rendering problem altho that was a issue as well,Ā  the main problem was multiple mesh object attachments with insane properties that would consume all the RAM on computers with less RAM than the greifer's computer

Its a thing, it still happens now and then. there are forums based around doing this, and not just in sl but other platforms where it can be done. the moment anyone starts begging for money or starts demanding money or asking how much you have should be an immediate sing to move away from them and close their chat tab with them.

One they could be an actual greifer and looking for a new prey or reason to start again, or someone to help fund them in their nefarious ways. Two the less considered reason is they could also be a mole looking for people who would participate in such activities in some manner or another.

8 hours ago, Canuck01 said:

later they revealed that this was a new account and they had previously been banned for ā€œgriefingā€?!? and that they had in the past caused another residents graphics card to overheat or become damaged in some way?!?Ā Ā This combined with the money questions made me extremely wary to be around this person.

Ā Iā€™m just curious... is this griefing an actual thing and has anyone else come across this kind of thing??

Usage of graphics crashers and laggers is definitely a thing,Ā i haven't encountered anyone using them since i stopped being allowed in Linden Realms but they were a real plague and nuisance i would definitely call them a form of griefing since theyĀ were used to try and prevent people from playing the game, they used to very visible in bright rainbow colours then they got made to look invisibleĀ without the aid of highlight transparent. I always found Maitmos suggestion of keeping complexity below no limit never worked it usually takes a few seconds if not longer for someone to become a jelly doll by which time the griefer has done their damage. While there's definitely potential to fry a graphics card i don't recall ever seeing any pop-up or anything saying my graphics card had crashed but the viewer did reach a point i'd have to kill it in task manager.
I'd certainly not take my interaction with such a person any further and wouldn't dream of giving them a single L$ but they are welcome to any free L$ LM's i may have. How much money i may or may not have is none of their business

Edited by Claireschen Hesten
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1371 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.