I think a content creator might be scamming people.

GodnessAlioth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1347 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello everyone, I am going to keep myself vague. I suspect a content creator might be scamming people. This person released an item for free a while ago in the marketplace, this item got very big and famous, but they removed it, now they released a new item for a very high price that I am 99.9% sure is the same item named differently. The listing is not the same, is a new one. Nowhere in the listing it says that is an updated version nor the same one under a new name. That would be alright, an updated version that is not free anymore, that they decided to rename, and come clean about it in the listing? That's alright in my book, weird still but correct. But this person is treating this item as a new one and telling everyone so. Even took a photo of the old item, changed the name of the old item written on it with the new one, covering it with a grey box, this is how I realized there was something off. It's a wearable item and it has a demo that I tried on to verify my doubts, I thought initially that one component only was identical to that item but every single items are the same, making it the same exact item under a new name. The only difference ? A 3D Text to show that is a demo that skyrockets the complexity of my avatar from about 27.000 to 34.000. Now, the creator of both item is the same, this is not a case of a copybotted item. I googled around and asked to people with more experience of SL than me, but I am not sure who I should be contacting it to report this, I saved all the photos and html pages (I even found the original listing cached and saved that) in an archive. Who should I contact to verify this and send this .zip full of proof to? I could easily be wrong, I hope I am wrong, this is so weird and scummy otherwise. I am afraid that if I shut up in the small doubt I might be wrong and fear of getting harrassed, hundreds of people might be scammed. But I'd rather be wrong that make people buy an item that they already own thinking it's a new one. Thank you for all your help and have a wonderful and safe day in these weird times. I apologize for my English errors, it is not my first language.

7 answers to this question

16 minutes ago, GodnessAlioth said:

Hello everyone, I am going to keep myself vague. I suspect a content creator might be scamming people. This person released an item for free a while ago in the marketplace, this item got very big and famous, but they removed it, now they released a new item for a very high price that I am 99.9% sure is the same item named differently. The listing is not the same, is a new one. Nowhere in the listing it says that is an updated version nor the same one under a new name. That would be alright, an updated version that is not free anymore, that they decided to rename, and come clean about it in the listing? That's alright in my book, weird still but correct. But this person is treating this item as a new one and telling everyone so. Even took a photo of the old item, changed the name of the old item written on it with the new one, covering it with a grey box, this is how I realized there was something off. It's a wearable item and it has a demo that I tried on to verify my doubts, I thought initially that one component only was identical to that item but every single items are the same, making it the same exact item under a new name. The only difference ? A 3D Text to show that is a demo that skyrockets the complexity of my avatar from about 27.000 to 34.000. Now, the creator of both item is the same, this is not a case of a copybotted item. I googled around and asked to people with more experience of SL than me, but I am not sure who I should be contacting it to report this, I saved all the photos and html pages (I even found the original listing cached and saved that) in an archive. Who should I contact to verify this and send this .zip full of proof to? I could easily be wrong, I hope I am wrong, this is so weird and scummy otherwise. I am afraid that if I shut up in the small doubt I might be wrong and fear of getting harrassed, hundreds of people might be scammed. But I'd rather be wrong that make people buy an item that they already own thinking it's a new one. Thank you for all your help and have a wonderful and safe day in these weird times. I apologize for my English errors, it is not my first language.

I am not sure what the "scam" is supposed to be.  The creator is now charging for an item that was once free but is actually doing the right thing and creating a new listing so as not to benefit from all the free listings sales boost they get to show in search.  

I am missing something here.  

Edited by Cindy Evanier
  • Like 2

Literally who cares?

If they want to start charging for an item they created and initially gave out for free, let them. Whether or not they're trying to deny that's what they're doing doesn't make it a scam. That is their right.

Stop harassing them with a witch hunt. 

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

agree with Cindy. Is ok for a creator to change their prices as they choose

from L$1n to L$0 and from L$0 to L$1n

as customers we can sometimes get miffed both ways.  One day buy a best seller book for $100. Next day the book is the bargain bin for $4.99

20 minutes ago, GodnessAlioth said:

You are correct I am afraid, I apologize for this. These apologies are not enough though. I regret posting this now. I wasn't planning on harassing them with a witch hunt, but you are correct, this is what this would cause, and this doesn't make any sense, I didn't think of this before. I really thought this was against the TOS of LindenLab and that I needed to contact them. I am now considering deleting my account to avoid this person from getting harrassed, I think I myself deserve it at this point. I need to think this through first.

Deleting your account isn't necessary. That would just be another dramatic overreaction. Just forget about it and move on and everything will be fine.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

1 hour ago, GodnessAlioth said:

You are correct I am afraid, I apologize for this. These apologies are not enough though. I regret posting this now. I wasn't planning on harassing them with a witch hunt, but you are correct, this is what this would cause, and this doesn't make any sense, I didn't think of this before. I really thought this was against the TOS of LindenLab and that I needed to contact them. I am now considering deleting my account to avoid this person from getting harrassed, I think I myself deserve it at this point. I need to think this through first.

That's a bit of an over-reaction.  You haven't named the creator.  Nobody knows who you are talking about so nobody will be harrassing some random creator.  Just chill and move on :) 

16 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Literally who cares?

If they want to start charging for an item they created and initially gave out for free, let them. Whether or not they're trying to deny that's what they're doing doesn't make it a scam. That is their right.

Stop harassing them with a witch hunt. 

Edited by GodnessAlioth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1347 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.