Mazidox Linden

Blake Sea is now up on Aditi!

Posted (edited)

I flew from Crow's Nest to Japan then back, before heading south into the empty 9 water sims before finally parking at Siren's Isle. Flew to my skill up to 70% speed in a S&W modded Bell 212 with 4 blades, floats active. Avatar Complexity of 38,004,  [14/14] running scripts, 800 KB allowed memory size limit, 0.059113 ms of CPU time consumed. Ran smooth as silk.

What's even more impressive is I've been maintaining a framerate that matches my current monitor. (75fps at worst), only losing 10fps when shadows enabled.

Snapshot_194.png

Edited by Fortnight Baxton

lostboat1.thumb.png.e4dc3f0db45e37128fc8d58d612b2155.png

Where's my boat?

Tested driving a boat into a region corner on an Aditi Blake Sea sim, and had a classic unsit and a lost boat. This doesn't surprise me; the double region crossing bug (BUG-214653) hasn't been fixed. If you start a second region crossing before the first was complete, the system breaks. Because the region crossings are faster on AWS, you have to hit the corner more closely and at higher speed to fail. But failure is still possible.

The odds of hitting this problem by accident on water or in air are low, but it comes up all the time on land, because there are roads that go through region corners. Which is why better land vehicles are region-corner aware and slow down. And why, in Bellessaria, there are buoys at water region corners.

A good fix is after a region cross, wait for the avatars to catch up. Normally that takes about 40ms, so you don't notice. That can and is done in some vehicle scripts, but it would be better to do it sim side. There was some concern from the Lindens that it would slow down region crossings, but in practice it doesn't.

Tested with forced network delay. 300ms and 500ms work OK, even for near region corners. 1000ms makes crossings near region corners fail, just like it did two years ago.

So, what I'm seeing is that faster networking and faster compute on the sim side makes the double region crossing bug less likely to come up. But it's not totally fixed. We'll have to see how it goes under load.

Single region crossings have consistently been good, even with forced network delay.

The cloud is off today.

All the AWS sims on the beta grid seem to be offline right now. Non-AWS beta grid sims are still up.

2 hours ago, animats said:

The cloud is off today.

All the AWS sims on the beta grid seem to be offline right now. Non-AWS beta grid sims are still up.

Must have got the first bill from Amazon. 😆

• Haha 3

So here's an odd thing.  While this "yay cloud go cloud" euphoria is building here, back in boring old Agni, Blake Sea has been performing since Tuesday afternoon ... wait for it ... amazingly well.  Yes, that's right  - AMAZINGLY WELL.

Subjective observations of region border crossing freeze times in a Trudeau 12m yacht (NOT the slickest border crosser by a mile) are about a second (versus 5 - 7 seconds previously).  Chance of completing a race has gone way up to around 90%.   I havent fallen off in the last six races (3 on Shields, always reliable, and 3 on 12m).

Im not at all sure what's changed - supposedly Tuesday there was no server update, just "backend maintenance" (whatever that is; and which by the way caused total chaos during Tuesday morning, the asset server seemed to be running on molasses, very long times to logout and even longer to log back).

Can someone clarify what code versions are running on Aditi vs Agni?

Posted (edited)

There are now a couple of videos to show people what the crossings look like. 

In this first one they guy doesn't know how to fly Shergood copters. Otherwise it is pretty good.

This one I made. I didn't have much experience with the Bandit 380R before I started recording.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
grammer
  • Like 1