Do people really rent apartments / condos?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1326 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sometimes I think it would be fun to stick a high-rise condo/apartment type complex on a beach, but whenever I see them in my travels they don't seem to be very active. Do people pay to rent space in a high-rise? Is there a tutorial for setting up something like that? 

Thanks. I hope you all are having a great summer considering...

I've been renting out condos in a high rise for um...about eight years now.  There are 10 units, and it's not easy to keep it filled up.

Good Things:

• It's next door to open Linden Ocean, and there's a clear route to the Blake Sea
  • The rent's less than paying Premium dues to LL
  • I allow way more prims per tenant than you'll find in a Linden Home
  • There are amenities...a pool, a game room, boat rezzers, a skydive launcher, a dance floor with lots of singles and couples dances

Not-so-Good Things (true of any high rise building in SL):

• You can't enable the land's Privacy feature, and even if you could it would not hide your avatar from residents in units above or below you
  • You share a music and a media stream with residents above and below you (you're all on the same land parcel)
  • You can be within chat range (20m) of a neighbor, so you have to remember to keep private conversations in IM.

A couple of people have tried to set up very capacious high rises in nearby sims.  They didn't get ANY renters, and were gone within a month or two.

MOST SL rentals will not appear to be "very active".  In my 10 unit building, there are seldom more than one or two residents who are a) on line and b) at home at the same time.

My place is in the Masocado region, if you care to visit and check out the setup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

$L100 per MONTH!?  That is one fantastic bargain.

Yea, I was happy find 450 prims on sky use only for I think $300 a week....  

Belli is just too laggy for me to keep paying premium, tho.  
But it’s a good deal, if you don’t mind low frame rates (I do).

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

I have a nice industrial penthouse with 300 LI for $100 a month.   So yes, people do rent but also yes, competition is pretty fierce. 

49930976631_bea106d7bf_k.thumb.jpg.d83f3323984882b668cf3ae323ea5031.jpg

That's gorgeous!  Wow, I never thought of looking at apartments!   

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

But it's Chic Aeon! Any landlord would kill to have her renting their apartment. 

Yeah, probably!  lol  Just look at that photograph.  Gorgeous too!  

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

But it's Chic Aeon! Any landlord would kill to have her renting their apartment. 

Had to smile at that.

Most are 100 lindens for 300 li. Some are 150 a month (seems arbitrary). Marianne has a house next to mine (I have a house there too) and another friend is around the corner.  I don't NEED those now since I have a sim again, but I like being supportive. Oddly all the places aren't filled although the high rise (pictured above) is currently full.   I most just like to decorate them.  But they come in handy for photo ops now and then.   Xenosaur :D

entryway%2Bclutter.jpg

music%2Band%2Bcoffee.jpg

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Zzevir said:

If its cheap yes people will rent them. 

my very first rental home in SL was a tiny flat for 1L / week, set in a cityscape with shops and a park. The landlord just wanted some traffic for the shops, and the flats were already there for decor. Smart landlord.

Many roleplay sims have rental apartments. If you like cyberpunk, there are some in Cocoon, and some in Hangars Liquides. There's a motel in Calleta. Try Loner Lane in New Babbage. All those actually have one above another. More often,, apartments are set up so you don't have one rental above another, such as having an apartment above a store. That makes the land permissions work better. There are a few like that hidden in Mopire and Bay City, and around New Babbage. These are just ones I've happened to find by accident; there are probably many more.

Edited by animats

3 hours ago, Akane Nacht said:

my very first rental home in SL was a tiny flat for 1L / week, set in a cityscape with shops and a park. The landlord just wanted some traffic for the shops, and the flats were already there for decor. Smart landlord.

I would really like something like that. Just to have a space to hang around. 

• Like 1

The social aspects of apartments are far outweighed by the complete lack of privacy and having to deal with rendering what ever tosh people like to litter their apartments with. If I wanted a "skyrise" apartment, the floors would have to be 64m tall 'sections' at least. 

Re: Prices.. If I recall correctly, I get 100 (or 150?) prims for 180L per month on mainland from Prokofy. Been there for a couple years now I think. 

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

I rented for years, a couple of times in apartment buildings. One I only left because I logged on one day and it was gone. Generally I have rented houses or skyboxes, though, and sometimes more than one at a time. The most I was willing to pay was L500/week.

Now I am Premium and have my own house. However, I am rarely in SL anymore, and when my Premium expires next April I will not renew. If I were still doing SL, I would rent a place, for sure, but instead will likely just go back to not having a place, like in my first few months in SL (way in 2007).

I've never rented an apartment with rooms stacked above each other. I suppose if you want social interaction it is a good choice but then again you can't really choose the other people who are renting. I have decided to go house free as well and now I just wander the land. People have really nice houses these days.

• 1 month later...
On 7/20/2020 at 12:16 PM, animats said:

Many roleplay sims have rental apartments. If you like cyberpunk, there are some in Cocoon, and some in Hangars Liquides. There's a motel in Calleta. Try Loner Lane in New Babbage. All those actually have one above another. More often,, apartments are set up so you don't have one rental above another, such as having an apartment above a store. That makes the land permissions work better. There are a few like that hidden in Mopire and Bay City, and around New Babbage. These are just ones I've happened to find by accident; there are probably many more.

This!

I already have my Bellessarian home as part of my premium membership and the only reason I spend my 300L weekly stipend on rentals is to live or set up businesses in the RP sims I am actively part of. Each neighborhood has a very distinct atmosphere conducive to the story arcs my character is portraying so I am paying more for the ambiance than privacy or permissions.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1326 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.