Might be proper, but not very caring support...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4715 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Cabbage, we already discussed all this. Remember where I said it was more appropriate at the time to stick to the script instead of getting into a discussion as to who why where and why? See how that just ties into just saying the account holder is the one who had to cancel the account? Also remember where I said the rep couldn't have known whether the person was actually brutally murdered or not? You maintain the rep was deliberately snide, I say there is no possible way you can know that. As far as cutting the conversation short, what do you propose should have been done?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Cabbage, we already discussed all this. Remember where I said it was more appropriate at the time to stick to the script instead of getting into a discussion as to who why where and why? See how that just ties into just saying the account holder is the one who had to cancel the account? Also remember where I said the rep couldn't have known whether the person was actually brutally murdered or not? You maintain the rep was deliberately snide, I say there is no possible way you can know that. As far as cutting the conversation short, what do you propose should have been done?

Well, sticking to policy was certainly appropriate but are you maintaining that Linden Lab was correct in "sticking to the script" when they told the Customer that their deceased friend should contact support when they were in fact informed both prior to and following that statement that the person in question was deceased?  

As far as their statement being deliberately snide, They made it and then when it was pointed out that the person in question was deceased, they simply terminated the conversation rather than clarify exactly what they meant.  Was that appropriate?

I already do far too much of LL's grunt work pitching in on the answers forum.  Apparently now we need to advise them on training of their representatives as well...  Ok... fine... It is obvious that nobody else is doing it.

What I would propose that they do (again, I am truly surprised that I have to say this) is first and foremost not  nastily tell someone that their recently murdered friend would have to somehow contact customer support and then essentially "hang up" on them.  LL is a bit of an insular environment and it is well known that they take their customer base for granted but this should be obvious even to them.

Instead, it would have taken little time and effort for the person who is being paid to represent LL to perhaps politely but firmly state that it was completely against policy for them to disable or amend the account, state why it was impossible, and then offer recommendations as to what course of action the OP could take.  If you (or LL) want an exact transcript of the exact wording suitable for inclusion in a script sheet that their drooling automatons can use when dealing with a customer I will be happy to provide one free of charge.  

That is s very good answer, Cabbage. I think your handling of the situation would have been far better. Perhaps had the poor Scout had your tact, hindsight and all around care and compassion for others as you do, all of this could have been averted and no one would have gotten their raw, open and justifiably already damaged feelings hurt. For the record, I am in no way affiliated with Linden Labs other than being a resident just like you.

I hope you guys understand you are'defending' the same thing.

Cabbage thinks the guy should have been more caring, Charolotte thinks the guy stuck to the script at the wrong time.

You guys are both saying the CSR was wrong, (which he was , because when he terminated the session before  i could say something back just proved a point of immaturity that i still hold on to..), but if he were to contact me, I would forgive him.

In my words, since im the OP, the question I asked was, "Was he right to do this.."

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

That is s very good answer, Cabbage. I think your handling of the situation would have been far better. Perhaps had the poor Scout had your tact, hindsight and all around care and compassion for others as you do, all of this could have been averted and no one would have gotten their raw, open and justifiably already damaged feelings hurt. For the record, I am in no way affiliated with Linden Labs other than being a resident just like you.

I do appreciate the compliment, but this has little to do with care or compassion.  It is basic professional conduct.  You don't have to "establish a rapport" or even like someone to treat them professionally.  I am sure many of us have to deal with people that we would love to be as short and nasty as the Scout in question was to the OP.  We don't do so because of professional pride and a love if not for mankind, at least for our paychecks.

I am gratified that you believe that my handling of the sitation was better.  But what do you think of the failings of the actual person that is taking money from all of us here in SL with the nominal purpose of providing at least the illusion of customer support? 

Whether or not our little scout could do better is not the real concern here.  One can always improve.  Was the level of service and his demeanor acceptable?  Do you think that he met the minimum standard of conduct and professionalism for someone that you would want representing your company to your customers.  

Would you feel secure with this scout dealing with the source of your livelihood?  

Kolby Nissondorf wrote:

I hope you guys understand you are'defending' the same thing.

Cabbage thinks the guy should have been more caring, Charolotte thinks the guy stuck to the script at the wrong time.

You guys are both saying the CSR was wrong, (which he was , because when he terminated the session before  i could say something back just proved a point of immaturity that i still hold on to..), but if he were to contact me, I would forgive him.

In my words, since im the OP, the question I asked was, "Was he right to do this.."

To answer the OP, in a word, no.  He was not right to do what he did.  His actions were completely unprofessional and unacceptable.  

If he was dealing with my customers, I would be most displeased.

I think the person who dealt with the OP is a real life human who has to sit on the phone and listen to the complaints and concerns, both founded and unfounded, of countless residents day in and day out and ended the conversation more abruptly than he should have. I am of the opinion that as a fellow caring compassionate human we should be able to forgive him. I do not know about Linden Labs overall professionalism or lack thereof when dealing with their customer base, they have always treated me with the utmost respect. If the employee were mine I would be glad that he didn't get into a lengthy diatribe with someone who a, was either very emotional atm or b, was a hack job looking to cause trouble. I have given the OP my condolences, I have agreed to your valid arguments and I have hoped to state that my position is while the Scout may or may have not deliberately been rude is unable to be established because we cannot know what his intentions were. As reasonable persons we should be able to put ourselves in that operators position and see them as a person, not a drooling drone.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

I think the person who dealt with the OP is a real life human who has to sit on the phone and listen to the complaints and concerns, both founded and unfounded, of countless residents day in and day out and ended the conversation more abruptly than he should have. I am of the opinion that as a fellow caring compassionate human we should be able to forgive him. I do not know about Linden Labs overall professionalism or lack thereof when dealing with their customer base, they have always treated me with the utmost respect. If the employee were mine I would be glad that he didn't get into a lengthy diatribe with someone who a, was either very emotional atm or b, was a hack job looking to cause trouble. I have given the OP my condolences, I have agreed to your valid arguments and I have hoped to state that my position is while the Scout may or may have not deliberately been rude is unable to be established because we cannot know what his intentions were. As reasonable persons we should be able to put ourselves in that operators position and see them as a person, not a drooling drone.

@Charlotte...I agree with your thoughts on this.  I have also noticed whenever someone posts the chat with a Scout, that it is very cut and dry in their response, no matter what the topic or problem is.  It seems to me, that they are probably taught or told not to engage in long-winded discussions/conversations, not to argue a point...wastes everyones time and people get inflamed.  I've noticed once the Scout says the way it is, the canned responses come out and there is the disconnect...you can't argue with them.

It is his job to deal with the customer.  If your auto mechanic did not adjust your brakes properly because he had been dealing with tough maintenance tasks all day long, would that be ok?  If your doctor failed to read your test results because he was "tired" would you be as understanding?  Heck, if the cashier at the grocery store did not put one of your purchases that you paid for in the bag because their hand was a little sore, or refused to scan one of your cupons because the last person he dealt with tried to hand him a bogus one, would you dismiss it so easily?

I know I would not.  If the scout cannot bear up to the realities of his job choice I have absolutely no sympathy.  I have no sympathy not because I am incapable of putting myself in his position.  I judge him the way that I do because I am holding him to the same standard of performance and conduct that myself or any other of billions of people who are paid to do a task are held.

I think he came up short.  He failed miserably.

If we review the original transcript, I think that is far more unfair to characterize the OP as an overly emotional hack job.  That is far more offensive than anything I have said about that sorry excuse for a scout so far.  

If he is a drooling drone, then perhaps his actions are excusable the same way a cud chewing bovine can't be faulted for their unceasing production of excrement.  if we view him as a person, a living breathing thinking individual who knew exactly what he was doing and saying as he handled this situation, then his actions become far far less acceptable.

No. I did not say the OP was an over emotional hackjob. Go back and re read. I from the very beginning was on his side and felt for his loss and horror. As for the mechanic, doctor and grocer, are we to fire everyone for their failures as humans? Would I excuse the mechanic who messed up, would I accept a misdiagnosis from my doc, or an unapplied coupon at the market? I must. I do. If I am to live in a world surrounded by humans I must, or else I can hole myself up in isolation and never ever have to deal with the failures of my sisters and brothers. If the behavior of incompetence spite and unprofessionalism were deliberate, then I embrace your stance of unacceptability whole heartedly. If on the other hand the person was following procedure and never intended to treat the caller with contempt or derision, then how can he be faulted. Your issue sir is not with me, dear Cabbage, but with the system.

Kolby Nissondorf wrote:

I agree with both of you. Hes a human and he makes mistakes, but what he said was rude.

YOUR BOTH RIGHT >_<

I am locking this thread now. The support response to this kind of situation in the future, will be improved.  The information given was "correct" but I do understand the problem with the response as well.  :(   Again, I am sorry for your loss Kolby and any unintentional further upset this may have caused.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4715 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.