Confusion on new desk PC.. system requirements.. recommendations..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1371 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Here's some info I found (thnx Google) about getting a new desktop PC in 2020 --in part for Second Life. Very confusing info, some system requirements documents are not current.. sometimes it's gaming folks, but for average good users not doing shooters or games except SL, hard to find recommendations for NOW, July 2020..

>> turns out those are a bit old system requirements.. see other links..

>> Good... recent

>> Okay...

>>well, better than nothing, but from 2018...

>>A bit better idea...

>>from Oct 2018...

So, is there better system requirements out there, and some recommended PCs that MEET the requirements? Surprised there isn't more help for people getting started or wanting to upgrade their experience...

Best,
Sire Sands
  • Like 1

That info badly needs a refresh. "Note about Windows Vista?" Windows Vista support ended April 10, 2012. The recommended NVidia 9000 line of graphics cards is from 2008. Trying to run a Second Life viewer on a 1GB machine is probably not going to work.

Luca Grabacr has a video about configuring a computer for Second Life.

lucaonslhardware.thumb.png.54e12ab161c997832a2d5a2a2f2594f5.png

Luca's summary.

The only thing I'll add to that is that the only thing that really needs to be on a SSD is the viewer's cache. Once the viewer is running, it doesn't do much disk I/O except to its cache. You can set the cache location in the Firestorm preferences. So a big hard drive plus a small (well, 100GB or so) SSD drive is quite useful and may be cheaper.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, animats said:

The only thing I'll add to that is that the only thing that really needs to be on a SSD is the viewer's cache. Once the viewer is running, it doesn't do much disk I/O except to its cache. You can set the cache location in the Firestorm preferences. So a big hard drive plus a small (well, 100GB or so) SSD drive is quite useful and may be cheaper.

I don't think a large HDD is still necessary. Well, I have them on an ancient Linux box I'm using as a poor man's NAS for local backups, but mostly I rely on the cloud for anything substantial, and run my PC exclusively from SSD. If I had it to configure over again, I'd also get more RAM and use a RAMdisk for all SL caching. It's fine if it wipes every reboot... I used to do that, and SL caching hasn't much improved since then (although I guess there's hope in the current development cycle that a larger, more persistent cache might have some value).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Qie Niangao said:

I don't think a large HDD is still necessary.

Probably not; SSDs big enough for everything are now affordable. I added a small SSD to an existing desktop machine, put only the Firestorm cache there, and saw a huge improvement in texture and mesh load times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

If it wasn't for everyone being so shortsighted on nothing but Intel and Nvidia, I'd suggest looking at my part selection. Sadly, it cannot be updated anyway due to the editing rules on this forum, but well.

How can I see your part selection? thanks...

On 7/19/2020 at 9:30 PM, animats said:

That info badly needs a refresh. "Note about Windows Vista?" Windows Vista support ended April 10, 2012. The recommended NVidia 9000 line of graphics cards is from 2008. Trying to run a Second Life viewer on a 1GB machine is probably not going to work.

Luca Grabacr has a video about configuring a computer for Second Life.

lucaonslhardware.thumb.png.54e12ab161c997832a2d5a2a2f2594f5.png

For people on a budget a GForce 1050 with 4 GB, alternative AMD RX560 good basic alternatives.

The 1060 6 GB is an excellent graphic card for HD resolution gaming and will perform excellent in Second Life, this though nearly twice the price of the entry 1050.

Following because I am trying to find a good build for SL. This is what I have now.

OPERATING SYSTEM
Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Architecture: 64-bit
DirectX version: 9.0c or better
MEMORY
Total memory: 34 GB
HARD DRIVES
C:
 - Free space: 622 GB
 - Total space: 1784 GB
D:
 - Free space: 117 GB
 - Total space: 214 GB
PROCESSORS
 - Name: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor           
 - Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
 - Description: AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0
 - Number of cores: 4
VIDEO CONTROLLERS
 - Name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
 - Adapter compatibility: NVIDIA

At home, and it's quite decorated and at other places with loads of items I can get 10-25 FPS but at a club with less decor and a few (5-7) people I get 3-10 FPS but that's not my issue. It is but not that bad. It's the CONSTANT texture reloading that I want to stop. I know I can get to a build that will enable me to *keep* the current settings I have enabled. I just need to figure out what that is. I was going to invest in a GTX 1650 Super 6GB or 1660 4GB but if it's better to just upgrade it all, CPU included, I'll just wait. Although, I need to get a SSD either way cause, I'm not running one. My end goal is to increase my FPS and keep textures from blurring out every few seconds or so.

Edited by Piper Cloud
wrong in the fps at home/club, did some testing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1371 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.