How can someone see you online when blocked and unfriended?

Trinity Starlight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1375 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

How can someone you blocked and unfriended see you online and find you in search when you are not supposed to be found in search. I paid to have my name changed and this person is seeing me on line all the time I am on. He also bothers other people that was my friends to get information on me. They don't tell him anything. I want him to leave me alone. It is stalking and harassing along with manipulating my rights to my privacy. Please fix issues of privacy and not let those on your friends list see anything about me.

5 answers to this question

13 minutes ago, Holly Starlight said:

How can someone you blocked and unfriended see you online and find you in search when you are not supposed to be found in search. I paid to have my name changed and this person is seeing me on line all the time I am on. He also bothers other people that was my friends to get information on me. They don't tell him anything. I want him to leave me alone. It is stalking and harassing along with manipulating my rights to my privacy. Please fix issues of privacy and not let those on your friends list see anything about me.

Just because you blocked them doesn't mean they can't see you online as they haven't blocked you.  There are also scripts that can see who is online easily.  If someone is harrassing you, you can probably AR them and hope LL will do something but you will never find out the result of the AR.

BTW this is a residents forum.  We can't fix any privacy issues just give you some advice how to deal with them.  

A name change wasn't intended to give you a complete new identity - there is also an ID number that remains the same even when your display name is changed (otherwise, you wouldn't be able to get redeliveries of past purchases, groups would not know that you were a member, etc.).  There are scripts and/or objects that can be used to tell if someone is online, and groups that show the list of members also show whether the member is online or if not, the last date they were online. Like many things in the world, there are legitimate reasons as to why those scripting functions are needed, as well as more nefarious ways that some have found to use those functions.

If someone is stalking or harassing you, you can submit AR's (Abuse Reports) that document the harassment, though it may take some time to build up enough reports over time to  document and make the case for ongoing harassment. Also, make sure that you are not wearing anything that might have been given to you by the person stalking you.  If the person is bothering your friends, suggest that your friends block the person as well.  You might also want to change where you hang out at, and perhaps even stay away from your normal friends for a bit to see if that helps any (the person could have an alt who has friended you or has friended one of your other friends without any of you being aware of that).

Edited by Moira Timmerman
fixed spelling error
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

When you friend someone, they are given a copy of your calling card. This is an inventory item which will ever after show your online status to those who possess it.

If you set your preferences to only show your online status to Friends and Groups, then a calling card will no longer show you as online if the person is no longer on your Friends list.

2 hours ago, Holly Starlight said:

As  others have said, there are a number of ways for someone to know you are online because that info is not considered private - it is available via a simple scripting function, regardless of any settings in your profile.   Additionally, if I am a member of a group that you also belong to and the group does not keep its member list private, then the group info can tell me if you are online or not.

Also, because of how scripts work and the information that must be available to creators, if I have your UUID (available on Calling Cards and via script if a previous or current username is known), then with that UUID I can always get your current username.

Note that nobody can actually track you down online unless you have given them the Map ability or you are in the same region as them. 

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

Changing your name doesn't make you invisible.  It's simply changing your name.  If I know what your name used to be, I can write a very simple LSL script -- fewer than a dozen lines -- to tell me what your new name is.  As Moira says, merchants and many others depend on being able to do that so that they can check your past history with them to provide good service. Unless you have shared your password and login information, no one should be able to get truly personal information (and certainly not any RL information).  Anyone can get access to public information like your login name, display name, rez day, and whether you are currently logged in, however.  

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1375 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.