Good vehicles. Let's talk!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1323 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 7/19/2020 at 3:45 AM, Cinos Field said:

(imagine how beautiful this view would be without the hovering garbage...)

SL could use an annual spring cleaning. Report forgotten plywood prims, objects stuck in midair, over-height signs, dead media on a prim objects, and similar junk. I was just in Calleta, which is a fun, busy sim, but has all of the above.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Try claiming that it is this dead junk that is contributing to the lag and lost script run time?

This has actually worked for me once. But it was all the way back in 2010 or so. Me and a friend grabbed a linden and told them of a nearby plot that had a huge stack of scripted physical objects that were in a looping routine to crash together and explode. The maker of them hadn't been by in over 5 years. So the Linden zapped the plot clean.

But as far as I know... doing that is actually against the policy of what they're supposed to do. We just got lucky...

I believe... that if an account is current, and they don't see a TOS / covenant violation (and that mainland covenant is basically: see TOS), they're not even allowed to fix glaring issues...

On the other hand if it's their fault, you can get a fix really fast (like if they laid a road down wrongly - me and another friend got a linden to come by and fix a mis-aligned road back when Zindra was new)...

And these 'me and a friend' stories are more correctly described as me hanging around while the friend reached out to lindens they knew... 😉

So unless you're someone with an 'inroad', you've just got 'file a ticket and wait' as your option.

I've filed tickets on floating objects before and seen those objects sitting there as far out as a year or two later until I finally forgot where it was I had seen them...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

The videos don't show that

While posting the videos, I re-watched them after so many years. Dude.... the first half of the Mesh Expedition Station Wagon video is sooooo boring. 😂 🤣 The one thing it probably shows, is how proud I was of making the vehicle I guess. LOL😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have a few road cars I use for mainland driving that I put together using the vehicle script animats made available after all of his work on these issues.  I'm not going to say they're the best cars in SL but they handle mainland pretty well thanks to his script work.

Anyone who wants copies is free to drop me an IM or a notecard, and I'll pass 'em your way.  

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 4:05 PM, Pussycat Catnap said:

But as far as I know... doing that is actually against the policy of what they're supposed to do. We just got lucky...

I believe... that if an account is current, and they don't see a TOS / covenant violation (and that mainland covenant is basically: see TOS), they're not even allowed to fix glaring issues...

Unf! You got that Linden power!

On 7/18/2020 at 9:41 AM, Cinos Field said:

Hello!

I've been thinking of taking a road trip in SL since we're still rather discouraged from such indulgences in real life. But what car to use? I have the classic Dominus Shadow which handles like a dream, but sadly rather explodes on sim crossings.

Since then I've been to a few places, test-driving cars - most either look bad, or handle bad. Does anyone have any recommendations? It'd have to have place for at least one passenger, and I tend to like 80s design!

Yours truly,

an otter

I think a vehicle in Second Life requires somewhere between 2-6 lines of code. Go for it!

On 7/20/2020 at 10:05 PM, Pussycat Catnap said:

This has actually worked for me once. But it was all the way back in 2010 or so. Me and a friend grabbed a linden and told them of a nearby plot that had a huge stack of scripted physical objects that were in a looping routine to crash together and explode. The maker of them hadn't been by in over 5 years. So the Linden zapped the plot clean.

It isn't against their policy since they do have a rule against excessive use of simulator resources. They are more than a little bit reluctant to enforce that rule though so yes, you were lucky you got them to do it right away. Usually it takes a longish support ticket exchange.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How about a bumper car ride?

One of the Lindens used to have a copy of Damanios Thetan's bumper car track rezzed at his place at Cirano. Getting one of the cars off the track and drive it down Sansara was a lot of fun. (I mean, that's what I've been told, not that I ever tried it myself of course. 😀) A friend of mine, who shall remain anonymous, once managed to drive one of them all the way to Bay City.

Sadly, the Cirano track is long gone, Damanios Thetan shut down his sim a year ago and he never listed the track for sale on MP. One of my biggest SL regrets is that I didn't buy it while I could.

There may still be copies of it somewhere in SL though and there may even be one at a location with access to the Linden Roads. It doesn't have to be a direct connection, those bumper cars drive across bumpy terrain and even under water just fine. (Again, I'm not implying I ever tried this myself, I just know.)

Edit: it turns out that even though his bumper cars aren't available anymore, Damanios Thetan does have a few other cars for sale on MP. These are old prim builds of course but it's Damanios Thetan, one of the greatest builders SL has ever seen, so it should still be top quality.

Speaking of old prim builds, Arcadia Asylum's cars are powered by a script by Cory Ondrejika himself. If the inventor of lsl can't make a decent vehicle script, nobody can.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 9:41 AM, Cinos Field said:

Hello!

I've been thinking of taking a road trip in SL since we're still rather discouraged from such indulgences in real life. But what car to use? I have the classic Dominus Shadow which handles like a dream, but sadly rather explodes on sim crossings.

Since then I've been to a few places, test-driving cars - most either look bad, or handle bad. Does anyone have any recommendations? It'd have to have place for at least one passenger, and I tend to like 80s design!

Yours truly,

an otter

a friend let me borrows theirs and i ran it up and down continent without losing the vehicle itself

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/GEMC-Detroit-Milestone/7272987

nice ride but pretty expensive

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/NTBI/110/179/24

[sau] motorbikes in the background, and a Botanica buggy I got the other day in front. All 4 of these are rideable by anyone and will replace the one sitting there a few minutes after someone drives away:

cafbb60f6d2b49ccda03deed866a6a9c.jpg

I've got them in Belliserria at:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Banebury/155/99/23

and on Route 6 at my rez-zone:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Lota/188/165/127

(The Route 6 spot doesn't have the yellow motorcycle but has a second car and a mini shuttle as well - both also public use vehicles).

The Botanica Buggy seems to be pretty stable so far. The only problem vehicle I have is the yellow motorcycle up there, it can't seem to handle bumps even though it's billed as a sci-fi offroader...

• Like 1

Another vote for the mudskipper here!  Such fun, lots of control over the driving style, can be set to group or anyone, and the (optional) HUD has a rez zone finder built in.  Love these bumptious ATVs!  The only thing I REALLY wish they had is a volume control.

On 7/18/2020 at 6:57 AM, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Have you ever considered driving an electric golf cart? 9_9

Hey, he's right, you know.  His carts may be cuteso, but they drive like a dream.  Can be set to group, too.

Manji - personally, I have a lot of trouble with too much acceleration and oversteering with their cars.  I can get them to behave sorta in cruise mode, but that's about it.

And hey, does anyone know of a nice sailboat that can be set to group?  I love Bandits, but all you can do with them is hand off controls when you're already in the boat.  The Loonetta allows you to specify a few alternate drivers by name.  We have a fair number of alts, and I have rezzers that can rez any of the vehicles we own, but that makes no sense if the avatar rezzing it can't sail it!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Being a dragonness I have the perfect vehicle.. my wings. I just fly in low and slow and can enjoy what I want and stop and land and walk about without the need of getting out of some vehicle.

You should consider a Drag(on) Racer

6480114525_fdc62983b7_z.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Another vote for the mudskipper here!  Such fun, lots of control over the driving style, can be set to group or anyone, and the (optional) HUD has a rez zone finder built in.  Love these bumptious ATVs!  The only thing I REALLY wish they had is a volume control.

Just did that on the regular Mudskipper, and the Snowplow. Will do the EMS and Police version tomorrow.
In the menu Misc > Options > Update. In the Options menu you can find the volume adjustment buttons as well.

:SwingingFriends:

• Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

And hey, does anyone know of a nice sailboat that can be set to group?  I love Bandits, but all you can do with them is hand off controls when you're already in the boat.  The Loonetta allows you to specify a few alternate drivers by name.  We have a fair number of alts, and I have rezzers that can rez any of the vehicles we own, but that makes no sense if the avatar rezzing it can't sail it!

Trudeau boats you can add skippers in the settings script eg.

// list of avatars allowed to skipper the boat. Add as many as you like.
// make sure to use the login name (not display name), exact spelling and punctuation
skipper=Jacqueline Trudeau

Whilst for bought sailing boats there are more available than MLCC, bandit\mesh shop and trudeau... like Ktaba, Renemarine, Quest, BBX, Endeavour that are good... but those second tier recommendations come with caveats.

There are freebies like ZZBottom's I mentioned earlier that are as good as those second tier ones. Another freebie make to consider are Lili's Yard. Like ZZ's boats they are full perm so setting to group shouldn't be a problem.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/220219

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2020 at 6:57 AM, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Have you ever considered driving an electric golf cart? 9_9

I just saw your golf cart and it is beautiful, Arduenn!  

What was the first thought that crossed my mind when looking at it?  Why, you need to make one Dinkie and Tiny sized, of course!  Tinies need a special sit animation.  I can pass one to you if you need it to add for the tiny sit.  Dinkie's can sit with most human animations.  

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1323 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.