Good vehicles. Let's talk!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1301 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello!

I've been thinking of taking a road trip in SL since we're still rather discouraged from such indulgences in real life. But what car to use? I have the classic Dominus Shadow which handles like a dream, but sadly rather explodes on sim crossings.

Since then I've been to a few places, test-driving cars - most either look bad, or handle bad. Does anyone have any recommendations? It'd have to have place for at least one passenger, and I tend to like 80s design!

Yours truly,

an otter

• Like 2

I use a bicycle when I go around SL. It's faster than walking and better for seeing things on the ground than flying. Cars are just too restrictive. They go too fast and regions are not big enough to drive without hitting those sim crossings. An electric golf cart might just be slow enough to enjoy the scenery. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

I use a bicycle when I go around SL. It's faster than walking and better for seeing things on the ground than flying. Cars are just too restrictive. They go too fast and regions are not big enough to drive without hitting those sim crossings. An electric golf cart might just be slow enough to enjoy the scenery. 

Yeah, that's why I'd want one with good handling. Meaning it doesn't go from 0 to 100 in a split second like most cars on SL seem to.

Bicycle would be an option, too, but I've not seen any with place for passengers!

• Like 1

When I want to use a vehicle, I almost always travel by boat or plane ("plane" being used to include all types of flying vehicles).  Land vehicles are all just too unreliable.

If you wish to go by road, LL has a wonderful system of pods that ARE reliable. 

• Like 1

Mostly boats for me, from "The Mesh Shop" (yeah, there's a name that's going to be so absolutely unique you will never have any trouble finding it in search 😄 ) aka Bandit.

And motorcycles from [sau] - I would never get a portable suicide machine in RL, but in SL they work pretty well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cinos Field said:

Yeah, that's why I'd want one with good handling. Meaning it doesn't go from 0 to 100 in a split second like most cars on SL seem to.

Bicycle would be an option, too, but I've not seen any with place for passengers!

Passengers pose an extra problem at region crossings, multiplicatively increasing the probability something will go wrong and you'll all end up in the ditch or thrown to the llWind()s. To somewhat decrease that risk, minimize the number of scripts driver and passenger(s) wear, scripts in the vehicle, and the amount of mesh doing the crossing.

• Like 1

I got a gift from Surplus Motors, the Sim Runner 7, pictured here in a typical SL-icious landscape that you'll probably encounter just driving around.

These definitely control well enough for a roadtrip, at least!roadtrip_001.thumb.png.bfcb9d6ebfd6f1a0c65ac5759c1c1a76.png

(imagine how beautiful this view would be without the hovering garbage...)

Edited by Cinos Field
  • Like 4

The best behaved land vehicles in SL are the ones from Arton Rotaru, Kaliska Dismantled and Animats. Those guys are master scripters/programmers with tons of experience and they have spent ages optimizing their vehicle scripts for performance. Arton and Kaliska are also two of the very best mesh makers we have in SL. Animats doesn't make his own meshes afaik but he's very careful when choosing full perm components for his builds. That helps too since you don't want to drag more vertices and pixels than necessary across sim borders.

None of them make regular street cars though so they may not have what you're looking for. Fortunately there are others who although not quite up to their standards are still very good. This two year old post by Theresa Tennyson is good place to start even today. Especially the car mall at Prototype if it still exists. That mall is/was owned by GEMC. They are themselves second to none when it comes to SL street cars and they wouldn't allow any other makers into their mall unless they could match their standards.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Cinos Field said:

Here you go - 1 passenger....

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/NF-Couples-Bicycle/18865882

Alternatively, twin engines....

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Wingsong-Rezzer-Bicycle-Tandem-RIDE-V3-Box/6071354

*** Just examples, not necessarily recommendations ***

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Cinos Field said:

get a tandem

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Wingsong-Bicycle-Tandem-RIDE-V3/6070897

• Like 1

My new fave vehicle is . . . A row boat. Why? Well, it's slow, so moving across a sim takes a little while, so it's not like planting your face against a series of sim crossings, and it comes with a 'cruise control' so I can type whilst rowing. On a sim made to have to small islands in diagonally opposing corners, rowing around and between the two islands took a good 15 minutes or so!

For traversing mainland, I've found that the most enjoyable means of transportation are trains. Just set a speed, keep an eye out for track changes and stuff, and watch the landscape go by - and chat with any friends that are along for the ride.

Bikes and cars are fun, and I do have a car that's great fun to drive around Belli with, but I've had a couple incidents with it getting stuck and lagging out at sim crossings (and Grumpy said if I kept driving like I did he'd have to call the grid police! Still got a mole bear though!).

• Like 1

ZZBottom who trades under "humble worker" on marketplace and also involved with Cybersculpts releases a lot of vehicles that are optimised for region crossings.

The Bellisseria parade group and Travellers Groups, normally feature a free selection:

(Copy and paste these links in your nearby chat to find the two groups)

secondlife:///app/group/18b2a3f0-99a8-1e49-116f-ae5877bbd676/about

secondlife:///app/group/ac5a6d15-2310-c70b-f04d-3ae674850b76/about

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 2

On 7/18/2020 at 7:10 PM, arton Rotaru said:

I love the mudskipper, it is perfect for bellisseria off road, roads, rivers and everything inbetween. It goes anywhere effortlessly in style. The videos don't show that depite all the scripting cleverness they cross region borders extremely well. At least as well as any other, if not better.

The Quatrelle my favourite for exploring mainland roads, like the Circuit de Corse.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

ZZBottom who trades under "humble worker" on marketplace and also involved with Cybersculpts releases a lot of vehicles that are optimised for region crossings.

The Bellisseria parade group and Travellers Groups, normally feature a free selection:

I actually stopped going to things where that brand was around because I kept getting spammed popups of stuff I had to click away... O.o

I get handing out freebies is nice and all. I LOVE that some people put out freebies. Almost my whole shop is freebies

- but put it on a box somewhere I can choose to engage with if I don't have something already...

I know there's a resident-run 'Bellisseria community office' - maybe that should be a place with a wall of freebies, a portion of which is dedicated to getting the latest free vehicles for touring and groups like Parade. Might even be worth asking patch if a spot in the lodge could be used for such a wall...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

Speaking of freebies... for water travel;

go and get the Becky BWind and the Shields boat

- I believe those are the top 2 free sailboats in SL in terms of the mix of quality & popularity.

Shields: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Shields-Class-sailboat-V2/7352166

Becky Bwind: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Dex/174/32/24

- Becky's boat is pre-mesh. The script it uses forms the backbone of many modern boats.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

I actually stopped going to things where she was around because I kept getting spammed popups of stuff I had to click away... O.o

I get handing out freebies is nice and all. I LOVE that some people put out freebies. Almost my whole shop is freebies

- but put it on a box somewhere I can choose to engage with if I don't have something already...

I have more freebies from her than I have rezzed too, but I am always grateful. The vehicles are made with a sense of fun and scripting is good for region crossings. I have ridden her bikes full throttle across Bellisseria when it first opened up and there was lots of unbuilt land. I started off cautiously and built up speed until I was going full throttle expecting a bad region crossing to end my escapade and send me to bed and provide an end to my evening.. I just couldn't get them to do a bad crossing.

You can just join the groups grab stuff from the notices and leave again if you are worried about getting updates and new vehicles every day. I think she mostly releases them through the group now, I don't get them sent direct to me every other day like I did a few years ago.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Speaking of freebies... for water travel;

go and get the Becky BWind and the Shields boat

- I believe those are the top 2 free sailboats in SL in terms of the mix of quality & popularity.

Free sailboats? Go to Stillman - http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Stillman/145/122/31 - and get a copy of Miccie Inkpen's jollyboats! (The Stillman bazar has a fixed entrypoint so I can't give an SLURL directly to it, but it's at the southeast corner , close to NEKKA's unscripted rowboat.)

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1301 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.