I broke my alt!

Maitimo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1375 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I was on my alt and I accidentally "added" their entire clothing collection at once. Fortunately it was my alt with a 10k inventory and not me with 66k... but still, it took more than an hour to detach everything and stop it all loading. But when I finally finished, I find that I can no longer add anything else, or remove anything that is currently worn (which is not much right now).

And after trying to re-load their base items in the official viewer instead of Firestorm, I find that Nel is now wearing two copies of the same skin and same shape, and I cannot switch to different ones. Also, I can see that they're wearing the mesh head but not the eyes whereas the Worn list shows the opposite; wearing the eyes but not the head. They're also unable to rez anything in-world. So it seems like maybe their entire inventory is corrupted.

I've re-logged half a dozen times including twice in the official viewer, I've tried re-setting to Ruth, I've tried switching to one of my other outfits and I've tried re-setting to a starter avatar but in each case, nothing happens.

After a further hour-and-a-half of struggling without success I've given up for now as it's 1am, but I would welcome suggestions of solutions that I can try tomorrow. I'd really rather not have to delete this account, I haven't spent more than a few hundred L$ on it but I am fond of the name. (And they've got the free Genus head which will be impossible to get on a replacement alt).

Help?

I am so sorry to hear about your troubles! I have done this pesky thing more than once and it's taken me way more time to detach everything again with a much larger inventory...

The grid appears to have some rezzing issues at this time, so hopefully once those problems are resolved, your alt will be ok.

Otherwise - and I am really am no expert on this - I wonder if the procedures to go through on Firestorm for a corrupted inventory or items missing from inventory would help you... I believe they include manually deleting your inventory cache from your computer, allowing the asset server - once it's working properly again - to reload it.

Good luck!

Emma :) 

Have you tried to change to the male/female test avatar? If you are on the default viewer, that is Develop (Ctrl-Alt-Q if not visible)->Avatar->Character Tests->Female/Male Test if you use the default viewer. Go to an empty region first, so you have nothing more to load then yourself.

7 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

OMG YOU BROKE SL WITH YOUR ALT!!!!

OMG. I DID!!! 😵  You mean, every time the asset server borks, it's because someone, somewhere, accidentally added their whole inventory at once?  (It wouldn't even surprise me if that was true).

Anyway, all is well and Nelya is now properly dressed again.

Edited by Maitimo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Maitimo said:

OMG. I DID!!! 😵  You mean, every time the asset server borks, it's because someone, somewhere, accidentally added their whole inventory at once?  (It wouldn't even surprise me if that was true).

Anyway, all is well and Nelya is now properly dressed again.

Let's ALL try it at the same time! 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Caroline Takeda said:

And you didn't take a pic?
Come on, that would have been funny.

For us.

You wouldn't have seen anything for all the huds  😄 In any case it doesn't add everything at once because of the attachment limit. It adds as many as it can then stops until you detach them, then it adds the next batch. And it WILL NOT STOP until it's finished them all. 

Edited by Maitimo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Maitimo said:

You wouldn't have seen anything for all the huds  😄 In any case it doesn't add everything at once because of the attachment limit. It adds as many as it can then stops until you detach them, then it adds the next batch. And it WILL NOT STOP until it's finished them all. 

You found the Terminator bug.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OMG! That's 2 people that have done that this week. I've been there and done that. But long ago...

It is an old bug triggered by a miss click in inventory.

Change your Outfit. Change to ANY Outfit in the Outfits section of Appearance. Library Outfits will work if you don't use outfits. You may even get away with clicking any folder with one or two clothing items and selecting REPLACE. Whichever, one of those should stop the problem.

What has happened is the viewer has placed everything in your inventory in the Current Outfit folder. Since only so much can be attached to your avatar a cue forms. Take stuff off and the viewer puts more stuff on. Changing Outfit clears the Current Outfit folder.

In some cases people cannot change their Outfit. Then Ansariel Hiller, one of the FS devs, recommends removing items directly from the Inventory's Current Outfit folder. Delete them 10 at a time. They are links so no fear. Avoid the 'irremovable' items; skin, shape, eyes, etc. that you are wearing. All else is fair game. When the folder is basically empty, try changing your outfit. Relog to see if it worked. If not, repeat.

I suffered through this twice. Once going nuts and learning the fix. The next time it was no big deal.

For a time this was a big problem biting many people. Changes were made and the problem went away. There apparently is 'Perfect Storm' scenario where it can happen. Or something has gone sideways. Whatever the case, I am still a bit more cautious now about clicking wear.

9 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

OMG! That's 2 people that have done that this week. I've been there and done that. But long ago...

Nope, it was just me. The other thread is a 7-year-old necro.

9 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

In some cases people cannot change their Outfit. Then Ansariel Hiller, one of the FS devs, recommends removing items directly from the Inventory's Current Outfit folder. Delete them 10 at a time. They are links so no fear. Avoid the 'irremovable' items; skin, shape, eyes, etc. that you are wearing. All else is fair game. When the folder is basically empty, try changing your outfit. Relog to see if it worked. If not, repeat.

I suffered through this twice. Once going nuts and learning the fix. The next time it was no big deal.

For a time this was a big problem biting many people. Changes were made and the problem went away. There apparently is 'Perfect Storm' scenario where it can happen. Or something has gone sideways. Whatever the case, I am still a bit more cautious now about clicking wear.

I couldn't change my outfit at all, do I did the "remove a few at a time" trick, which did work but took soooo long, even with a small inventory. The main problem was that when it all finished I was still unable to change outfit or add any further clothing. That turned out to be the grid-wide inventory asset server problem that coincidentally (or not) happened at the same time.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1375 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.