Suspicious activity from an Avi who messaged me

Conleth Firecaster

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I got a message from someone today that I did not know. I started talking with this person. Something seemed strange about this as I was at my property most of the day and have no idea how this person got in contact with me. They then told me their English wasn't that good. When I checked the avi's profile, it seemed like someone's profile who's main language was English. I started having suspicious the person who is talking to me is not the owner of the avi. They then tell me this : "well can i tell u something someone gave me this account i dont know who gave me this account it was  on this computer". Yeah I don't buy that someone just gave them a computer with their SL account on it. How would I go about reporting suspicious activity on someone else's account?

2 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Conleth Firecaster said:

I got a message from someone today that I did not know. I started talking with this person. Something seemed strange about this as I was at my property most of the day and have no idea how this person got in contact with me. They then told me their English wasn't that good. When I checked the avi's profile, it seemed like someone's profile who's main language was English. I started having suspicious the person who is talking to me is not the owner of the avi. They then tell me this : "well can i tell u something someone gave me this account i dont know who gave me this account it was  on this computer". Yeah I don't buy that someone just gave them a computer with their SL account on it. How would I go about reporting suspicious activity on someone else's account?

Welcome to Second Life Answers, Conleth. You sound like you have a good sixth sense.

I think if my suspicions were aroused in the same way as yours have been, I would have clicked on "report abuse" from the menu choices in world, have the message open on the screen, click the option on the abuse report form to include a screenshot.  Linden Lab then could easily suspend the account and go through their security procedures. If the computer has been acquired by someone who has made use of passwords already programmed into the viewer screen, they probably won't know the answers to the security questions.

It sadly makes me cringe to think someone may have had their computer stolen, and whoever nicked it is not only getting into their Second Life, but bank accounts etc., but there is nothing you can do about that.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.