why can't LL label the specs for SL v2 properly then

reese Shawbridge

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4144 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm having a difficult time understanding your setup.  A $45 CPU and $50 RAM matched with a $300 MB and a $100 HD.  That's a quick search on Newegg.com.  But to each their own.  Two of the most critical hardware components scrimped on when there are many other ways to save that are not so critical.  The 9800 GTX is plenty of video card for SL.  The HD is almost unimportant as far as SL is concerned (it only becomes a factor if you are low on system RAM).

Anyway, to answer what I think is your question ("why does LL 'lie' about system requirements").  I can agree that the system requirements that LL lists is pretty outdated (by about 5 years or so).  But not the way you are looking at them.  A minimally spec'd machine will have a difficult time running SL.........not the other way around.  You seem to be saying that because your computer exceeds the minimums by a wide margin that V-2 won't run for you (or that it runs very poorly).  My system exceeds the minimums by quite a wide margin too (hell, most mid-range computers manufacturered in the past 3 years or so exceed those requirements by a wide margin).  V-2, as long as your video card supports OpenGL 2.0 or later, runs fine...........that 9800GTX meets that OpenGL requirement quite easily.  I believe it's something in the way you have your computer setup, or the operating system setup, or possibly your video drivers being outdated..........or possibly your MB needs some driver to mate up with that Celeron P4 CPU. 

I don't know.........your system (even if I can't quite picture it) should run any SL viewer (including V-2) without problems.  I just don't think you can blame LL for your setup problems.

1 answer to this question

I'm having a difficult time understanding your setup.  A $45 CPU and $50 RAM matched with a $300 MB and a $100 HD.  That's a quick search on Newegg.com.  But to each their own.  Two of the most critical hardware components scrimped on when there are many other ways to save that are not so critical.  The 9800 GTX is plenty of video card for SL.  The HD is almost unimportant as far as SL is concerned (it only becomes a factor if you are low on system RAM).

Anyway, to answer what I think is your question ("why does LL 'lie' about system requirements").  I can agree that the system requirements that LL lists is pretty outdated (by about 5 years or so).  But not the way you are looking at them.  A minimally spec'd machine will have a difficult time running SL.........not the other way around.  You seem to be saying that because your computer exceeds the minimums by a wide margin that V-2 won't run for you (or that it runs very poorly).  My system exceeds the minimums by quite a wide margin too (hell, most mid-range computers manufacturered in the past 3 years or so exceed those requirements by a wide margin).  V-2, as long as your video card supports OpenGL 2.0 or later, runs fine...........that 9800GTX meets that OpenGL requirement quite easily.  I believe it's something in the way you have your computer setup, or the operating system setup, or possibly your video drivers being outdated..........or possibly your MB needs some driver to mate up with that Celeron P4 CPU. 

I don't know.........your system (even if I can't quite picture it) should run any SL viewer (including V-2) without problems.  I just don't think you can blame LL for your setup problems.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4144 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.