Question about Teegle horses

Lucaasdf

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1344 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I went and and tried the demo horses but every horse except for the Arabian wich is a breed I don't like is too tall and too wide for my 1.70m tall avatar. So before buying I would like to know from people who own a Teegle horse if they're resizeable and if yes do third party tack sets still fit when I make the horse smaller?

23 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

The American Paint horse is not very big; did you try it? If it was too big, did you try the Shetland pony? It's small but not teeny tiny and can be ridden by adult avatars.

I tried the demo of all Teegle horses. The Pony is too small and well it's a Pony :D... The American Paint is too big, too wide wich means my legs are inside the body and I don't like how the head is held so low. The horses I'm interested in are the Hanoverian and the Unicorn. I want to know if they can be made smaller or if they're stuck at the size of the Demo when worn. I want to use the horse for RP and my group has realistic sized avatars as a rule I can't make my avatar over 2m tall to fit the size of the horse.

1 hour ago, Maitimo said:

Teegle horses can't be resized. I had to wait for them to release one that was big enough for my avatar to ride (I am over 7' tall).

Oh, okay thank you. Do you know of any horses that are smaller than the Teegle?

9 hours ago, Lucaasdf said:

I went and and tried the demo horses but every horse except for the Arabian wich is a breed I don't like is too tall and too wide for my 1.70m tall avatar. So before buying I would like to know from people who own a Teegle horse if they're resizeable and if yes do third party tack sets still fit when I make the horse smaller?

I have the same problem, my avatar's height is 1.78 meters measured with prim. In all adult sized Teegle horses my legs go inside the horse. The only exception is the Arabian where the legs go just slightly inside the horse. (The Pony is ok, but it's a baby horse.)

I wonder would @Teager be interested to create a horse better suited for the not very tall avatars?

Edited by Coby Foden

My Avi is 5'4", and I have the same problem with my two Teagle horses - oddly the Clydesdale is the better fit than the Paint.  My legs and heels are inside the saddle on the Paint.  It's our fault for wanting to be normal sized and not SecondLife Giants, or Tiny and can sit on top.  It's for this reason that I will not be buying any more horses.  The technology just isn't there yet for a proper fit, so I doubt anyone else's horses will be any better than @Teager's.

Edited by Anna Nova
typo

9 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

The American Paint horse is not very big; did you try it? If it was too big, did you try the Shetland pony? It's small but not teeny tiny and can be ridden by adult avatars.

I know you were giving an answer to someone else but now I have to go and see this. :) 

PONY!

• Like 1

Oh dear.....what a massive mess of a problem that SL scaling throws up!

If you want to be "realistically sized", @Coby Foden hints at the first problem - measuring. She correctly uses a prim to measure herself. Many people do not realise that the height measurement reported in some viewers is quite wrong to start with. Actually, not wrong as such, but is not measured top-to-bottom as you might expect. Other viewers might measure top-to-bottom. So you really have to be sure about exactly what measurement you are using, and what that measurement really is. Stick to Coby's method, with a prim ruler, and you will get it right........

....or will you?

Ok, great. You're, say, 1.75m tall in RL, and now you're 1.75m in SL too. That would be just perfect if the rest of SL was scaled like that as well. But it isn't. The problem of your legs going inside a horse is just the tip of an iceberg for all the problems that the unclear scaling of SL throws up.

This topic had been thrashed to death a number of times before. "Its the height of the default camera that means the buildings have to be made bigger....and then avatars have to be bigger so they don't look silly....". I don't mean to re-open this topic any more than is necessary for people to understand just what the problems are.

42 minutes ago, Odaks said:

Oh dear.....what a massive mess of a problem that SL scaling throws up!

If you want to be "realistically sized", @Coby Foden hints at the first problem - measuring. She correctly uses a prim to measure herself. Many people do not realise that the height measurement reported in some viewers is quite wrong to start with. Actually, not wrong as such, but is not measured top-to-bottom as you might expect. Other viewers might measure top-to-bottom. So you really have to be sure about exactly what measurement you are using, and what that measurement really is. Stick to Coby's method, with a prim ruler, and you will get it right........

....or will you?

Ok, great. You're, say, 1.75m tall in RL, and now you're 1.75m in SL too. That would be just perfect if the rest of SL was scaled like that as well. But it isn't. The problem of your legs going inside a horse is just the tip of an iceberg for all the problems that the unclear scaling of SL throws up.

This topic had been thrashed to death a number of times before. "Its the height of the default camera that means the buildings have to be made bigger....and then avatars have to be bigger so they don't look silly....". I don't mean to re-open this topic any more than is necessary for people to understand just what the problems are.

I know I measured myself with prims and corrected the camera angle. I thought that's common knowledge since it was one of the first things people told me to do.

22 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

I think Waterhorse has a pony of some sort, but I don't know of any others.

Thank you. I'll visit their store later. If it doesn't look too much like a pony it might be fine.

1 minute ago, Lucaasdf said:

I know I measured myself with prims and corrected the camera angle. I thought that's common knowledge since it was one of the first things people told me to do.

Its delightful that you got some decent help at an early stage! My impression is that that's a rarity, sadly, and it certainly isn't common knowledge. That's why I mentioned it.

Big bonus points to whoever it was that guided you!

On 7/13/2020 at 5:11 AM, Garnet Psaltery said:

PONY!

Jerry, who is next to Elaine seated at the child's table:  "I always hated that kid with a pony.  I mean, who has a pony, anyway." 

Elderly hostess at the end of the table. "I had pony!"  [Jerry's jaw drops.]. "When I was a little girl in Poland, we ALL had ponies.  My sister had pony....  My cousins had pony...."

OoooKayyy theeen..., let me say here, we ALL love ponies on this forum!  Yes, WE ALL DO!  Okay??

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2020 at 4:08 AM, Coby Foden said:

I wonder would @Teager be interested to create a horse better suited for the not very tall avatars?

I do plan to continue releasing more breeds of horses in all sizes! It will take some time to account for everyone's preferred size, with the enormous range of avatar sizes in sl, but I'm doing my best to ensure there will be something for everyone :)

Also worth noting: if you check the animesh forum, there is an ongoing project by LL to one day make animesh scaleable using scripted "shapes". So one day, it may be possible to alter any animesh creature to whatever size works for you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 7/13/2020 at 2:08 AM, Coby Foden said:

The only exception is the Arabian where the legs go just slightly inside the horse. (The Pony is ok, but it's a baby horse.)

That sounds more like a problem with the riding animations than the horse model. Unless that's a really wide Arabian. Arabians are usually rather thin.

(No, a pony is not a baby horse. Pony breeds don't get bigger as they age. But they get smarter.)

(We really need some way to tune animations in world. Nothing involving "sit" quite fits.)

3 hours ago, animats said:

That sounds more like a problem with the riding animations than the horse model. Unless that's a really wide Arabian. Arabians are usually rather thin.

(No, a pony is not a baby horse. Pony breeds don't get bigger as they age. But they get smarter.)

(We really need some way to tune animations in world. Nothing involving "sit" quite fits.)

dun think the later will ever happen. it would be very complex to add in an animation editor and then people would have issues with people using their animations and editing it and then claiming its theirs or making them no mod to prevent that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1344 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.