I'm Going to Cry, Can Someone Please Help Me?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1370 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Right so basically I've spent $250 USD on a hotel build and now when I try to upload to second life it says Error: DAE parsing issue - see log for details. I googled this error message and have done everything the people in other forum topics told me to do, but it's still not uploading. If anyone who's good at this kind of thing could look at the obj file and fix it for me I would greatly appreciate it because this whole project has been nothing but absolute stress and I need it to end. Thanks.

On 7/10/2020 at 9:15 PM, Junejewels said:

Right so basically I've spent $250 USD on a hotel build and now when I try to upload to second life it says Error: DAE parsing issue - see log for details. I googled this error message and have done everything the people in other forum topics told me to do, but it's still not uploading. If anyone who's good at this kind of thing could look at the obj file and fix it for me I would greatly appreciate it because this whole project has been nothing but absolute stress and I need it to end. Thanks.

Did you try and contact the creator of the 3D hotel you bought. I am quite sure, most professional creators would be happy to assist you on exporting it correct, I assume you bought it with full rights to be used, as you want to.

As someone said, it is an OBJ, not a collada, as SL's uploader takes only collada. So it may need to be brought into blender or your 3D modeling software and export it as collada. Then if you're still having that issue of dae parsing.. it is likely that there are too many quads/triangles that make it unable to upload.

• Like 1

Why would a SL made model have been provided as OBJ instead of DAE - I would go back to your SL creator and ask

Please give me the file in proper DAE format (which is standard) plus LODs and physics file.    Or have them upload it for you full perms already done and send to you.  (I also hope it is UV unwrapped so you can texture!).

Edited by Charlotte Bartlett
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

Why would a SL made model have been provided as OBJ instead of DAE - I would go back to your SL creator and ask

Perhaps the OP bought it from an external service or hired a freelancer on fiverr or freelancer.com. In RL collada is not used as it is obsolete (carrying its own set of issues) and the exchange formats commonly used are either obj or fbx. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, OptimoMaximo said:

Perhaps the OP bought it from an external service or hired a freelancer on fiverr or freelancer.com. In RL collada is not used as it is obsolete (carrying its own set of issues) and the exchange formats commonly used are either obj or fbx. 

I did think that at first, but the OP said on a other post here they paid somebody 15000 Linden to build it for them.  So assumed,  as they quoted in L dollars,  it was a mesh created externally but with somebody versed in SL.  If an external creator,  yikes that may be painful to make SL compatible.  I hope it works out for them!

On 7/15/2020 at 9:06 PM, OptimoMaximo said:

unfortunately OBJ is extremely limited and FBX is a binary & closed format.

7 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

FBX is a binary & closed format.

Aside from the fact that most applications are able to import and export fbx format nowadays and for some time by now, including blender... Fbx isn't only binary, there's also the ASCII version of it. Which actually was born first, since fbx is the successor of collada that autodesk kept developing on its own. Binary came in later to reduce file sizes. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1370 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.